Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL 2 Per Entry Draft - Discussion

Dobber Sports Monster

Default NHL 2 Per Entry Draft - Discussion

The latest installment of the NHL Covid Draft Series is here!

Number of rounds to be determined (depends on # of teams). Each participant selects 2 players per NHL Entry Draft year.

Draft order details being worked on, but we are thinking of doing it one draft at a time and letting the person who starts each round determine which entry draft year we are going with. The draft order will be structured to make each team have an equal shot. So in round 1, the first team will pick the draft and pick first, then the rest. This will rotate in a fair way throughout the draft - more details TBD. There will be a draft lottery, but this will not be your typical snake draft.

Notes:
    - There are a handful of quality NHL players that have been taken in entry drafts twice. They can be selected in both draft years.
    - In the case of recent drafts, you can balance NHL production with expected NHL upside. So even if a first rounder from 2017 hasn't cracked his team's roster, it's perfectly reasonable to still take them over a 3rd round grinder who has 30 points already and has proven themselves to be a serviceable NHLer.

Confirmed participants:
    pmorrow
    PenguinHunter
    DusterDave
    Zorro

Click here for the picks thread

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: NHL 1 Per Entry Draft - Discussion

You bet I am in!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Big Daddy

I’ll give it a go, why the hell not? If we don’t get much interest I’d suggest switching up the format. Something different and fun like each round one of us nominate a draft year and we can only choose from that year. Would have to decide whoever nominated either drafts first that round or last to make it challenging.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I’ll give it a go, why the hell not? If we don’t get much interest I’d suggest switching up the format. Something different and fun like each round one of us nominate a draft year and we can only choose from that year. Would have to decide whoever nominated either drafts first that round or last to make it challenging.
    Interesting concept, worth considering for sure. How would the draft order work in that format? I don't think a snake draft would be fair as the person in the middle would never get to pick first. So maybe we could rotate the order after each round in a way that is fair. So maybe we do our usual draft lottery, then the winner gets the first round #1 selection, 2nd place in the lottery gets the second round #1 selection and so on. And the order of the rest of the round will have to rotate in a fair way too.
    Essentially 30 different mini drafts where the first team chooses the draft year then picks first. We'll see what people want to do.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Big Daddy

Yeah, it would be fun. Switch it up a bit. Also, it would make things a lot easier. I’m not too much into the idea of creating a list for these drafts, especially one for the Entry Drafts. Would be a lot of work for essentially nothing.

Dobber Sports Monster

Yeah, it would be fun. Switch it up a bit. Also, it would make things a lot easier. I’m not too much into the idea of creating a list for these drafts, especially one for the Entry Drafts. Would be a lot of work for essentially nothing.
    Yeah, I think keeping everyone focused on 1 draft at a time also helps reduce the amount of prep work required. You will need to generally know which drafts were weak/shallow in order to make your entry draft selection when it's your turn to choose for that round, but you wont have to bookkeep as much to avoid accidentally picking 2 from the same draft.

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Monster

So let's say the draft lottery went like this:
    1. Team A
    2. Team B
    3. Team C
    4. Team D

The order would go like this
    Round 1
    1. A - picks draft year, picks first
    2. B
    3. C
    4. D
    Round 2
    1. B - picks draft year, picks first
    2. C
    3. D
    4. A
    Round 3
    1. C - picks draft year, picks first
    2. D
    3. A
    4. B
    Round 4
    1. D - picks draft year, picks first
    2. A
    3. B
    3. C

this is the concept I had in my head. The first team rotates each round, and then the rest of the round is in the draft lottery order (resetting when you reach the end of the order). it appears to need tweaking though: does D get the shaft a bit too much in this concept?

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    1. Team A
    2. Team B
    3. Team C
    4. Team D

Round 1
    2. B
    3. C
    4. D
    Round 2
    2. C
    3. D
    4. A
    Round 3
    2. D
    3. A
    4. B
    Round 4
    2. A
    3. B
    3. C

this is the concept I had in my head. The first team rotates each round, and the rest of the order is in the draft lottery order. it appears to need tweaking though: does D get the shaft a bit too much in this concept?
    nope. Cause theN You do the snake based on the rounds where the team gets to draft.

Round 5 is the same as 4

round 6 is the same as 3

round 7 is the same as 2

round 8 is the same as 1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

I like the one draft at a time idea!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    1. Team A
    2. Team B
    3. Team C
    4. Team D

Round 1
    2. B
    3. C
    4. D
    Round 2
    2. C
    3. D
    4. A
    Round 3
    2. D
    3. A
    4. B
    Round 4
    2. A
    3. B
    3. C

this is the concept I had in my head. The first team rotates each round, and then the rest of the round is in the draft lottery order (resetting when you reach the end of the order). it appears to need tweaking though: does D get the shaft a bit too much in this concept?
    So basically we need to take take the number of Participants and multiply it by 2, 4 or 6 to determine the number of rounds(entry drafts) we will do. Thus ensuring that everyone will get to pick the same amount of drafts.

And by doing this, we hypothetically will have a reverse order of how we feel the strength of each drafts top X number of players is.

​​

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    So basically we need to take take the number of Participants and multiply it by 2, 4 or 6 to determine the number of rounds(entry drafts) we will do. Thus ensuring that everyone will get to pick the same amount of drafts.

And by doing this, we hypothetically will have a reverse order of how we feel the strength of each drafts top X number of players is.
    To elaborate further on this.

If I am picking a draft class, I am likely going to pick one that has less depth of talent in it so that I get the larger value over the last person drafted in the class.

​​

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    To elaborate further on this.

If I am picking a draft class, I am likely going to pick one that has less depth of talent in it so that I get the larger value over the last person drafted in the class.
    Definitely, also people will pick draft years with guys they really want to select even if they're deep, as someone else might choose the draft year for a draft you really want the best player from, and you end up getting the 5th or 6th best guy instead.

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Big Daddy

I was thinking the opposite actually.

Team A
    Team B
    Team C
    Team D

Round 1
    Team A selects the draft year but selects his player last. This was we can still snake. You snake the Draft Year and then snake the draft order from player selection.

Team A picks the year in Round 1.
    Draft order is D, C, B, A

Team B picks the year in Round 2.
    Draft order is A, C, D, B

And just like that, I realized how confusing this will get.

In the end, what I am hoping to see is us only draft one year per round, otherwise there will be far too much prep and research for me personally. And I thought a fun twist would be to nominate a draft year per round.

Another option is randomize the draft order and also randomize the draft year.

So it would be predetermined what round is which draft year. This would be the easiest format.

Dobber Sports Monster

I was thinking the opposite actually.

Team A
    Team B
    Team C
    Team D

Round 1
    Team A selects the draft year but selects his player last. This was we can still snake. You snake the Draft Year and then snake the draft order from player selection.

Team A picks the year in Round 1.
    Draft order is D, C, B, A

Team B picks the year in Round 2.
    Draft order is A, C, D, B

And just like that, I realized how confusing this will get.

In the end, what I am hoping to see is us only draft one year per round, otherwise there will be far too much prep and research for me personally. And I thought a fun twist would be to nominate a draft year per round.

Another option is randomize the draft order and also randomize the draft year.

So it would be predetermined what round is which draft year. This would be the easiest format.
    But in a snake format only teams A and B would get to pick the draft year no?

If C picks the draft year in the 3rd round and goes last then you aren't snaking any more

However, if we remove the snake format aspect of that proposal and stick with PH's patented quasi-snake draft order(tm), you could still have it so the team picking the draft year that round has to go last. it changes the incentive system but it would work that way.

I think we might be best just looking at this as 30 separate mini drafts, and the order of who gets to select and in what order should be made fairly so everyone gets a chance to pick an even number of drafts and first overall.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. I'm a little tired today folks hahahaha

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

The Great One

This will probably complicate things too much, but I'm wondering if there should be any restrictions beyond draft year?

IE - if you have 30 picks, only 10 (or 15) or whatever can be 1st round picks. Or … you need at least 5 picks on your team from the 4 round on...

It's just an idea.