Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Long term: Samsonov or Merzlikins

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Long term: Samsonov or Merzlikins

I have Sheshtorkin clearly ahead of these two, but can't make up my mind on both of those.

Samsonov is younger and had a very good season. Merz is a but older and had such crazy numbers.

Which one do you guys expect to have the better career?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Long term: Samsonov or Merzlikins

Not based on much other than gut feeling, but Samsonov for me.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Think both are very good but looking at teams in front, I like Samsanov.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Deity

My gut tells me Samsonov as well, but that's all it is; a gut feeling. Both have bright futures.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

My gut says Samsonov, based to be honest, it's based a lot on pedigree and a better short-term outlook (I think Holtby will move on)….

Dobber Sports Star

I don't think anyone is going to say Merzlikins, unless the preceding clause prompts someone to be a contrarian. Samsonov all the way.

Dobber Sports Monster

Conventional wisdom would point to Samsonov. Goalies tend to... Surprise us in many ways. But I would say the long term bet right now continues to be Samsonov.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Ace

Samsonov.

I'm also not sure that I would be saying, "I have Sheshtorkin clearly ahead of these two...".

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I actually managed to grab both... this draft was pretty bad after the 10th pick imo. Thanks for your input guys!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I actually have Samsonov too, so I like him BUT the real question long term is how long Washington is able to keep there core together & stay competitive? vs does Columbus have a bright future with Bjorkstrom, Werenski, Jones and Dubois?

I don't think you can go wrong here...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm going with Elvis due to the defensive style of Columbus, plus he has a much cooler name. It's close, though.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Star

One other thing, Samsonov currently has nothing of substance behind him in the Washington goalie pipeline. Columbus is stacked, with Tarasov, Vehvilainen and Kivlenieks around. And Korpisalo still there. If we're talking long term, in two years' time Merzlikins may be seriously challenged.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    One other thing, Samsonov currently has nothing of substance behind him in the Washington goalie pipeline. Columbus is stacked, with Tarasov, Vehvilainen and Kivlenieks around. And Korpisalo still there. If we're talking long term, in two years' time Merzlikins may be seriously challenged.
    This may be true, but that could also motivate him to OWN that spot. at the time, extreme highly touted Schneider, Lack etc didn't chase Luongo from the crease, but argueably made him play better (and saw those guys moved)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I'm going with Elvis due to the defensive style of Columbus, plus he has a much cooler name. It's close, though.
    Re: defensive style of play, this is something I thought about a lot last year.

Bobrovski goes from a Vezina caliber goalie in Columbus to a chump in Florida. After shaky starts, both Elvis and Korpisalo have very solid years.

James Reimer is absolutely AWFUL in Florida - traded for bought-out Darling. Then moves to Carolina and puts up decent numbers. Lou didn't exactly light the world on fire in Florida too.

I wondered a few times last year if Bob was just having a bad year, or if Florida is the place where good goalies become bad goalies.

Sorry, completely off topic. Congrats to OP for snagging both goalies. Which one did you take first?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    This may be true, but that could also motivate him to OWN that spot. at the time, extreme highly touted Schneider, Lack etc didn't chase Luongo from the crease, but argueably made him play better (and saw those guys moved)
    That may be true. If everything breaks Merzlikins' way, that means he will have reached the same level of spot-owning as Samsonov will already have achieved, barring an unlikely Holtby resigning. Moreover, if we're talking career, Samsonov is three years younger so in a dynasty you presumably get that added value.

Merzlikins is just about to enter his peak years and doing it on a good defensive team. I wouldn't be surprised if he outperformed Samsonov each of the next two years if you count goals against and save percentage. But if we're being asked for a career analysis today, Samsonov is the better play.