Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone picked up any new hobbies since the covid crisis started?

Administrator

Default Re: Has anyone picked up any new hobbies since the covid crisis started?

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I just want to collect some good pictures. I know this area mostly has black bears, some grizzlies, wolves, cougars, coyotes, rabbits, deer, moose. But it's mostly for something to do. An excuse for a Sunday drive every 2 weeks. Part of what I like about being in the woods by myself is I feel more alive. Being around possible danger, your senses are heightened! Happy to hear about your podcast metaldude. Hope that continues to go well for you!
    Senses are heightened, perhaps to an unnerving level! One of the crew members under my watch ran into a bear while on the fire I was managing a couple of weeks back, which immediately triggered heightened bear awareness, and prevention/mitigation tactics. No one was strolling through the forest alone after that one. Also why I carry a big knife or something more substantial on me while working in the bush. I've been Yogi-ed once, and that was enough for me.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Default Re: Has anyone picked up any new hobbies since the covid crisis started?

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Things I am doing more of.

Trail running.
    Backpacking and hiking with family.
    Buying items off auctions and trying to flip them (just started this so who knows how it will go)
    Hockey cards
    Crazy amounts of board games with my wife and kids.
    I have added way more running to my routine with the weight room at work closed and the local fitness center down as well. Doing somewhere between 5-10 miles a day. Feet haven't fallen off yet!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Nice thread idea Winstunt. I also have a nature cam, we set it up at our cottage and have picked up deer and the odd bear. Hoping to pick up some better bear shots; I do not think my dad would approve putting out bait though hahaha.

Hobbies I've picked up: I'm not sure if I've started doing anything new, I've just sort of increased my existing hobbies. A lot of them are pretty lame but as you can imagine this includes watching more tv, books and playing games hahah. It actually hasn't been as hard without hockey as I thought, I've just tried not to think about the uncertainty. I think the fact that the shutdown started as the weather started getting better has helped.
    Have enjoyed reading this thread. Hope you're also doing good Peter. My buddy told me to put water softening salt in front of the camera. It will make them pause, stop, eat, and carry on. I see some people use cracked corn, which I will use. And when I go salmon fishing in the summer I will use the guts and use that as bait as well! Some people even use road kill as a bait!

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Senses are heightened, perhaps to an unnerving level! One of the crew members under my watch ran into a bear while on the fire I was managing a couple of weeks back, which immediately triggered heightened bear awareness, and prevention/mitigation tactics. No one was strolling through the forest alone after that one. Also why I carry a big knife or something more substantial on me while working in the bush. I've been Yogi-ed once, and that was enough for me.
    That is good you carry a weapon and be careful in the woods my friend. I love doing these trail cameras as a hobby so am looking to get my firearms license soon and will purchase a rifle to carry around for added protection. something like a 7mm.08 or 6.5 creedmor. I don't like hunting much but I would like the protection over a can of bear spray!

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Have enjoyed reading this thread. Hope you're also doing good Peter. My buddy told me to put water softening salt in front of the camera. It will make them pause, stop, eat, and carry on. I see some people use cracked corn, which I will use. And when I go salmon fishing in the summer I will use the guts and use that as bait as well! Some people even use road kill as a bait!
    Yeah man life's not bad all things considered. Hope the work grind hasn't been too difficult, you seem to be on here a lot less!

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I haven't picked any new hobbies exactly, but I have done one completely new to me thing. I don't think it will ever reach hobby status, but I decided to make myself a key holder. Got some scrap leather a while back, and some punches, and finished my first attempt the other day. I realized that it was good enough to show that I like the style and it functioned.

I had been looking for something to help organize my keys, and saw this on a list, and it was my inspriation:
    http://www.studiogorm.com/wallet-key-holder

Other than that, trying to organize things - like our library, and keep up with repairing the stuff that my fiancee breaks. I think I need to lock up the lawn mower so she can't use it any more.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Yeah man life's not bad all things considered. Hope the work grind hasn't been too difficult, you seem to be on here a lot less!
    Work has been good thank you. I looked at my recent posts and it has been 6 weeks since my last one lol. I'll be here more often. I will have to start looking at the rankings soon and get back in the swing of things. I just tuned my head out of hockey since I figured there would be no games on for quite some time. Now that there is hope, I am back lol. Hope work and everything is going good with you also.

Dobber Sports Titan

Call of Duty :-( lol.

I'm jumping rope as exercise now since a jump rope was the only thing I could buy without like a 20 week lead time in April.

I've nailed down how to bake cookies.

Sitting outside actually. I'm doing a lot of my work from home where I can, from outside.

I'm leaning hard into BBQ/smoking now.

I taught my dog a couple of new tricks. He's not the brightest dog, but he's food motivated. So I got him to bring me his leash when I ask him. But he's kinda starting to bring me his leash just whenever he wants to go for a walk...
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Call of Duty :-( lol.

I'm jumping rope as exercise now since a jump rope was the only thing I could buy without like a 20 week lead time in April.

I've nailed down how to bake cookies.

Sitting outside actually. I'm doing a lot of my work from home where I can, from outside.

I'm leaning hard into BBQ/smoking now.

I taught my dog a couple of new tricks. He's not the brightest dog, but he's food motivated. So I got him to bring me his leash when I ask him. But he's kinda starting to bring me his leash just whenever he wants to go for a walk...
    So you taught the dog a trick, and now he's he's taught himself a more advanced one. Nice.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    So you taught the dog a trick, and now he's he's taught himself a more advanced one. Nice.
    He's prolly thinking, "if I bring my pet the leash, we go for a walk. I taught my pet a new trick!"

Dobber Sports Master

so I should have started painting my spare bedroom / office since home improvement should be a hobby right ? but started watching the marble olympics on youtube .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR3aImy7dWw

Banned

I've started dabbling with Unity trying to come up with something resembling a game. No success, but I haven't lost hope yet.

Dobber Sports Recruit

We purchased a foosball table for our apartment to kills some time , but swear to god my body is itching because of no trainings

Dobber Sports Titan

Picked up golf the last few weeks.

I still don't know if I like hanging with my friends, playing a sport, or actually enjoy golf.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Picked up golf the last few weeks.

I still don't know if I like hanging with my friends, playing a sport, or actually enjoy golf.
    You're allowed to like both.

I've been out golfing more, reading, cooking, and working on my hockey spreadsheets. Picked up yoga a bit too because it's actually a solid workout that I can do in my apartment.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)