Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone picked up any new hobbies since the covid crisis started?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Has anyone picked up any new hobbies since the covid crisis started?

I have. I recently got my own truck so I'm actually able to do extra activities! I currently have 4 trail cameras set in the woods. I put 44 lbs of salt about 8-10 feet away from the camera and just check on the camera every couple of weeks. 2 cameras are 12 megapixel, 2 are 16 megapixel, and today I just got a 32 megapixel camera. So far I have two really good shots and will check on all of my cameras next weekend! This is in the BC Interior. Am hoping to get some good shots of some Cougars, Wolves, and Black/Grizzly Bears. There are lots of predators in the area I put this camera. Just a couple hours after I set one camera, the black bear went by and captured a couple very good pictures!

Screenshot 2020-05-31 at 12.41.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-31 at 12.42.13 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-31 at 12.42.59 PM.png

Administrator

Default Re: Has anyone picked up any new hobbies since the covid crisis started?

Do you have more plans for these salt licks you've setup or just hobbyist nature photo-ing?

I got so bored I finally started a podcast, so there's that.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Has anyone picked up any new hobbies since the covid crisis started?

Interesting new hobby, and cool idea for a thread!

I tend to be drawn to hobbies that have the potential to become sources of income, so I've taken up furniture restoration, woodworking, picking/flipping, and I've gotten back to drawing a lot (which is something I did a lot when I was younger but have kind of ignored for years). Pretty random now that I think about it...

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Do you have more plans for these salt licks you've setup or just hobbyist nature photo-ing?

I just want to collect some good pictures. I know this area mostly has black bears, some grizzlies, wolves, cougars, coyotes, rabbits, deer, moose. But it's mostly for something to do. An excuse for a Sunday drive every 2 weeks. Part of what I like about being in the woods by myself is I feel more alive. Being around possible danger, your senses are heightened! Happy to hear about your podcast metaldude. Hope that continues to go well for you!

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Interesting new hobby, and cool idea for a thread!

I tend to be drawn to hobbies that have the potential to become sources of income, so I've taken up furniture restoration, woodworking, picking/flipping, and I've gotten back to drawing a lot (which is something I did a lot when I was younger but have kind of ignored for years). Pretty random now that I think about it...
    Very interesting. That is a good idea to keep making hobbies that could generate income! Hope you are all doing very well too!

Dobber Sports Icon

I am not sure if most people would call this a hobby or not but I like doing it so that makes this a hobby to me.

I have finally started tracking all of my family's expenses properly and on an ongoing basis. I have done this off and on for about 15 years but it used to be I would do it very quickly in April of the following year so I would have my "business" expenses for my tax returns. Now, I have it all set up in a program called Moneydance so I can quickly do each month as they finish (or more regularly if I want) so I can accurately track every dollar. It's a great idea for anyone who is serious about getting out of debt or getting further ahead financially.

I also love numbers and it's fun to see how the global pandemic is changing our spending habits. For instance, in April 2019 we spent $330 on automobile fuel. In April 2020, we spent $0 on automobile fuel as my wife drove 0km while I drove 19kms.

Dobber Sports Master

I had been putting a lot of time into researching next vehicle lease . Thats not really a hobby but it was consuming some time . One that was put to bed I wanted to get new snow tires on steel wheels bought and stored in my garage for nov .So researching that and wheeling and dealing with online tire sales sites and my local honda dealer netted me a good price as Honda matched a pretty good online deal for Blizzak dmv2 .Normally they would only match a place like OK Tire , Kal Tire , Fountain Tire etc..

we have a returning pair of american bluebirds nesting in our box for 3rd straight year which is kinda cool to watch with the binoculars .

sounds like life is treating you good stuntman ; watch out for Big Foot out there though .

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post

Podcast numbers have shot up I have heard. I'd say once we are through covid-19 there are going to be some great deals on podcasting hardware!

Are you going to tell us the name of the podcast? I am always looking for new stuff to listen to while on the treadmill.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I am not sure if most people would call this a hobby or not but I like doing it so that makes this a hobby to me.

I have finally started tracking all of my family's expenses properly and on an ongoing basis. I have done this off and on for about 15 years but it used to be I would do it very quickly in April of the following year so I would have my "business" expenses for my tax returns. Now, I have it all set up in a program called Moneydance so I can quickly do each month as they finish (or more regularly if I want) so I can accurately track every dollar. It's a great idea for anyone who is serious about getting out of debt or getting further ahead financially.

I also love numbers and it's fun to see how the global pandemic is changing our spending habits. For instance, in April 2019 we spent $330 on automobile fuel. In April 2020, we spent $0 on automobile fuel as my wife drove 0km while I drove 19kms.
    We have a fancy excel spreadsheet and every Sunday we sit down and reconcile our credit card statement and bank statement with the spreadsheet, and then pay off the credit card in full. Keeps track of every single dollar we spend that way. There's something fun about doing it every week isn't there?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I have become an expert at hide and go seek , puzzles, coloring, and kids pop songs such as anything by JoJo Siwa.. Please send help!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

I've always loved the saying "what gets measured, gets improved." (or something along those lines) This is a great example of that, where simply keeping track of spending will lead to a better understanding of your situation, and ultimately to better spending/saving habits. I started tracking my net worth monthly in a spreadsheet a few years ago and it has been extremely helpful for me financially.

Dobber Sports Monster

Nice thread idea Winstunt. I also have a nature cam, we set it up at our cottage and have picked up deer and the odd bear. Hoping to pick up some better bear shots; I do not think my dad would approve putting out bait though hahaha.

Hobbies I've picked up: I'm not sure if I've started doing anything new, I've just sort of increased my existing hobbies. A lot of them are pretty lame but as you can imagine this includes watching more tv, books and playing games hahah. It actually hasn't been as hard without hockey as I thought, I've just tried not to think about the uncertainty. I think the fact that the shutdown started as the weather started getting better has helped.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Deity

I've been playing my guitar more than usual. I've been off work since mid-March so ive had time in my hands.

Not really a new hobby, but still a fun one to pick up again. Someone was smart enough to start an online kitchen party Facebook group a while back for us Nova Scotians, so I share my tunes there.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Things I am doing more of.

Trail running.
    Backpacking and hiking with family.
    Buying items off auctions and trying to flip them (just started this so who knows how it will go)
    Hockey cards
    Crazy amounts of board games with my wife and kids.

Dobber Sports Sage

I haven't picked up any new hobbies but I am sure am fishing a lot more. Several times a week- get out at daylight and fish till 2-3 o'clock. This is what it will be like when I retire.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Podcast numbers have shot up I have heard. I'd say once we are through covid-19 there are going to be some great deals on podcasting hardware!

Are you going to tell us the name of the podcast? I am always looking for new stuff to listen to while on the treadmill.
    My supremely original title is The Steve Laidlaw Podcast, which you can find here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcas...t/id1506994252
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg