Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone picked up any new hobbies since the covid crisis started?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Has anyone picked up any new hobbies since the covid crisis started?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    You're allowed to like both.

I've been out golfing more, reading, cooking, and working on my hockey spreadsheets. Picked up yoga a bit too because it's actually a solid workout that I can do in my apartment.
    Ya like, I was terrible my first few rounds of golf but I was playing with friends and they kept me from getting frustrated. And without playing any true competitive sports since February/March, I enjoyed finally playing something that pushed me physically. I had a fun time playing, so I'm unsure if it was because I enjoyed golf, or was it the other factors. Which in a way contribute to golf though.

I'll def push myself to get to the ability to say "I can golf" without lying.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Has anyone picked up any new hobbies since the covid crisis started?

I drink a lot more beer. Does that count?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I drink a lot more beer. Does that count?
    If you're drinking craft beer you're beer tasting. And it's sophisticated (South Park reference)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    If you're drinking craft beer you're beer tasting. And it's sophisticated (South Park reference)
    That's ALL I drink when it comes to beer LOL!

I busted the Atlantic Bubble on the weekend to go visit friends in Moncton. The other excuse was to raid the liquor store to get some different beers to try out.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

I have kayak fished more this year than the rest of my years put together. Some is due to discovering a lake down the street to fish and another reason is due to my boat trailer needing a repair and it is taking a while to get the part. I have learned how to use an anchor trolley and it is an absolute game changer. Getting pushed around in the wind while fishing was my biggest complaint but now that I learned how to anchor and position my kayak it much more enjoyable.

I have also started doing long walks. I started jogging when the shelter-in-place started but I just don't enjoy it anymore. Maybe it is getting older but I don't enjoy it and look forward to it like I did in my 30s. But going for 5 mile walks and listening to podcasts is very enjoyable and doesn't even feel like exercise. I have also done some hikes and I am going to add that to my list of hobbies especially during the winter. Been riding my road bike more and more lately. It is so hot that walks are miserable but on the bike you get a constant flow of air.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I have kayak fished more this year than the rest of my years put together. Some is due to discovering a lake down the street to fish and another reason is due to my boat trailer needing a repair and it is taking a while to get the part. I have learned how to use an anchor trolley and it is an absolute game changer. Getting pushed around in the wind while fishing was my biggest complaint but now that I learned how to anchor and position my kayak it much more enjoyable.

I have also started doing long walks. I started jogging when the shelter-in-place started but I just don't enjoy it anymore. Maybe it is getting older but I don't enjoy it and look forward to it like I did in my 30s. But going for 5 mile walks and listening to podcasts is very enjoyable and doesn't even feel like exercise. I have also done some hikes and I am going to add that to my list of hobbies especially during the winter. Been riding my road bike more and more lately. It is so hot that walks are miserable but on the bike you get a constant flow of air.
    I downloaded the mapmywalk app; I've walked 102km in the last 20 days. (A friend challenged me to walk 100km in 30 days). The app is free and pretty good, if you can get past all the advertising.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I downloaded the mapmywalk app; I've walked 102km in the last 20 days. (A friend challenged me to walk 100km in 30 days). The app is free and pretty good, if you can get past all the advertising.
    Thanks for the tip. I have been using Strava for a long time. It was better before they removed features unless you paid for it. ($4 a month)
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Immortal

I was doing puzzles for a bit at the beginning there haha. But then we got a little bulldog pup so does that count as a hobby?

Otherwise I've taken up running as well but that will likely come to an end with the weather we had today.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Tess Harper View Post
    Same here tv shows, games and books, these are everything I am usually into during lockdown. The other day decided to learn poker. They say that poker is very useful in life as you learn to understand people's reactions when they are lying. But I haven't found any worthy books about that so if you know some please share with me
    I've gone fairly deep down the poker rabbit-hole this past year to the point that it provides a small additional source of income for me and I've considered trying to make a full-time living at it.

I haven't really loved any of the poker books I've read, and the changing nature of the game makes lots of the classics somewhat obsolete. "Super System" is a popular choice and you'll see it on most poker reading lists, and even though it's old it has some solid stuff in it. Youtube has been my best source of learning, and there are also a couple Masterclasses that are informative and entertaining if you're into those (they aren't free, but can be found for free...)

EDIT: After a 2nd look I realize you might have been looking for books specifically about reading people reactions and picking up tells to determine if they're lying... Lots of poker books touch on this, but I don't know of any books where that's the sole focus.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I've gone fairly deep down the poker rabbit-hole this past year to the point that it provides a small additional source of income for me and I've considered trying to make a full-time living at it.

I haven't really loved any of the poker books I've read, and the changing nature of the game makes lots of the classics somewhat obsolete. "Super System" is a popular choice and you'll see it on most poker reading lists, and even though it's old it has some solid stuff in it. Youtube has been my best source of learning, and there are also a couple Masterclasses that are informative and entertaining if you're into those (they aren't free, but can be found for free...)

EDIT: After a 2nd look I realize you might have been looking for books specifically about reading people reactions and picking up tells to determine if they're lying... Lots of poker books touch on this, but I don't know of any books where that's the sole focus.
    Was just going to post this. I've been playing a lot more poker lately too--although been limited to digital home games (my State doesn't allow cash games online). But seen significant improvement in my game.

I've read a few books and always find something interesting. I've really wanted to take the Masterclasses (but haven't done it yet...just never committed to registering). Shoot me a link for your free, but not free site? haha).
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Was just going to post this. I've been playing a lot more poker lately too--although been limited to digital home games (my State doesn't allow cash games online). But seen significant improvement in my game.

I've read a few books and always find something interesting. I've really wanted to take the Masterclasses (but haven't done it yet...just never committed to registering). Shoot me a link for your free, but not free site? haha).
    The Daniel Negreanu one is available from torrent sites like ThePirateBay (or so I'm told...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Things I am doing more of.

Trail running.
    Backpacking and hiking with family.
    Buying items off auctions and trying to flip them (just started this so who knows how it will go)
    Hockey cards
    Crazy amounts of board games with my wife and kids.
    The two largest one's I've added as well. Santa stocked us up on board games at Christmas. It's like he knew we needed them.
    My daughter just found an interest in Chess the past couple weeks. So awesome.

I'm interested in the auction idea. Please keep us posted.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    I have. I recently got my own truck so I'm actually able to do extra activities! I currently have 4 trail cameras set in the woods. I put 44 lbs of salt about 8-10 feet away from the camera and just check on the camera every couple of weeks. 2 cameras are 12 megapixel, 2 are 16 megapixel, and today I just got a 32 megapixel camera. So far I have two really good shots and will check on all of my cameras next weekend! This is in the BC Interior. Am hoping to get some good shots of some Cougars, Wolves, and Black/Grizzly Bears. There are lots of predators in the area I put this camera. Just a couple hours after I set one camera, the black bear went by and captured a couple very good pictures!

Attachment 4781
    Attachment 4782
    Attachment 4783
    I joined a new High Roller fantasy hockey league on Fantrax. Quite a few Trump supporters in the league which makes for interesting chat!

Dobber Sports Titan

Bartending lol.

I was into like G&T's and simple drinks like that. I've gotten more into cocktails and infusing syrups/alcohol to try and make cool drinks.

My secret santa requests this yr will be bartending tools lol.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Bartending lol.

I was into like G&T's and simple drinks like that. I've gotten more into cocktails and infusing syrups/alcohol to try and make cool drinks.

My secret santa requests this yr will be bartending tools lol.
    French 45's
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4