Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Much Would You Add to Kucherov to Get McDavid? REP Left When I Can!

Dobber Sports Pro

Question How Much Would You Add to Kucherov to Get McDavid? REP Left When I Can!

For top team in my sig, I've got a chance for McDavid, but it won't come cheap. It'd likely be McDavid & two picks in the 6th-8th rounds for Kucherov, 1st overall and possibly even 2nd overall. Would you do this, or is it too much?

Chances to get McDavid are rare, but Kucherov is awesome and still likely to be a top winger for years to come. I currently have too many centers if this happens, but it's easy to flip guys in our active league. I could swap out Seguin or Aho for a comparable winger pretty easily. Or should I just keep what I have and win this coming season with my depth (due to so many high picks) alone? Thanks!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: How Much Would You Add to Kucherov to Get McDavid? REP Left When I Can!

What I always do in this type of situation is look and see who is likely to be the top few players dropped then replace them with the 1st overall and 2nd overall picks.

Then it becomes Kucherov and Player and Player for McDavid and 6th and 8th round players.

I think I prefer Kucherov and the two players available at 1st and 2nd overall.

Remembering that first overall could be Alexis Lafreniere, this makes me like the Kucherov side even a bit more.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: How Much Would You Add to Kucherov to Get McDavid? REP Left When I Can!

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    What I always do in this type of situation is look and see who is likely to be the top few players dropped then replace them with the 1st overall and 2nd overall picks.

Then it becomes Kucherov and Player and Player for McDavid and 6th and 8th round players.

I think I prefer Kucherov and the two players available at 1st and 2nd overall.

Remembering that first overall could be Alexis Lafreniere, this makes me like the Kucherov side even a bit more.
    In a different thread earlier I was advised not to take Lafreniere in the first round, as it's unlikely he'd be in my Keep 6 at the end of the season and we have no prospect slots. I draft rookies higher than anyone else in my league, so I could still likely get him in the 2nd. I would have to hope it turned out better than when I drafted Hughes first overall last year...

I'm looking a bit to next year (where I likely lose this trade) but also to the future (where I think I win it). McDavid is McDavid, and he's very young still. But I get what you're saying - I've still got years of Kucherov's peak left and he's a winger, which is harder to find. Tough calls here.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    In a different thread earlier I was advised not to take Lafreniere in the first round, as it's unlikely he'd be in my Keep 6 at the end of the season and we have no prospect slots. I draft rookies higher than anyone else in my league, so I could still likely get him in the 2nd. I would have to hope it turned out better than when I drafted Hughes first overall last year...

I'm looking a bit to next year (where I likely lose this trade) but also to the future (where I think I win it). McDavid is McDavid, and he's very young still. But I get what you're saying - I've still got years of Kucherov's peak left and he's a winger, which is harder to find. Tough calls here.
    Yes...knowing your league is crucial. When did Hughes and Kakko go this year? I would consider LAfreniere a bit higher than those two. Not quite the Eichel or Matthews level... but what if he does have a really good rookie year. And yes, you have a great top 6... but he could always fetch a great return at the trade deadline.

You have two first round picks and a bunch of seconds. So I would suggest you are in a great position to dominate the draft and league next year. So any one of those picks could be Lafreniere and you can still be the top team even if he doesn't pan out.

I think you have a significant advantage with the two first round picks and all the 2nd round picks... that trading away those two first decreases your advantage.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The Great One

You are already keeping Aho, Matthews and Seguin in a top 6. I just don't think I deal Kucherov and two premium picks, even for McDavid.

To even consider this, I think the other manage needs to turn your Seguin into a really good W keeper, or you are just messing your team up for the point of getting McDavid.

Dobber Sports Deity

This goes back to the Barkov point I made earlier. You don't need another center. If you want to deal a center to upgrade there I'm all for it but you bringing in another center without sending one back is crazy.

I'd keep Kucherov and try to get McDavid with Matthews or Aho.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Yes...knowing your league is crucial. When did Hughes and Kakko go this year? I would consider LAfreniere a bit higher than those two. Not quite the Eichel or Matthews level... but what if he does have a really good rookie year. And yes, you have a great top 6... but he could always fetch a great return at the trade deadline.

You have two first round picks and a bunch of seconds. So I would suggest you are in a great position to dominate the draft and league next year. So any one of those picks could be Lafreniere and you can still be the top team even if he doesn't pan out.

I think you have a significant advantage with the two first round picks and all the 2nd round picks... that trading away those two first decreases your advantage.
    Thanks for all this analysis. What makes the cost seem steeper is that the picks would be going to my main competition. Then again, he'd be sending McDavid to me. I've insisted that if we do this, I take picks like 6th rounders back (still lots of quality finds) vs 11-13th rounds, where it's just scraps. Last year I took Jack Hughes 1st overall and Kakko early 4th round, but those were the only two rookies taken besides Quinn Hughes & Makar (6th and 8th rounds I think). So rookies aren't highly sought after, which is why I think I can get Alexis in the 2nd. But this also begs the question - do I want to give those high picks to my competition? Haha.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    This goes back to the Barkov point I made earlier. You don't need another center. If you want to deal a center to upgrade there I'm all for it but you bringing in another center without sending one back is crazy.

I'd keep Kucherov and try to get McDavid with Matthews or Aho.
    The guy with McDavid has no interest in anyone besides Kucherov - believe me I've tried, haha. If I do get McDavid I can VERY easily flip Aho or Seguin or both away for other positions I need. I'm confident of that. Barkov wasn't enough of a step up from any of my current centers, but McDavid is next level. Still not sure if I should just keep Kucherov though.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    You are already keeping Aho, Matthews and Seguin in a top 6. I just don't think I deal Kucherov and two premium picks, even for McDavid.

To even consider this, I think the other manage needs to turn your Seguin into a really good W keeper, or you are just messing your team up for the point of getting McDavid.
    Thoughts on trading Aho away for a good winger? I could get more for him in a trade than Seguin, probably. Or is Aho good enough I should definitely keep him? You guys are starting to turn me back to Kucherov, haha. I really appreciate the input a LOT!

Dobber Sports Pro

Related question - how do you see Seguin and RNH as compared to each other? Should I swap those two as part of the deal, since Seguin might not be RW eligible but RNH will for sure be a LW, which I need?

The Great One

Honestly, it's starting to feel that you are just itching to make a trade and trying to talk yourself into doing so. Those generally don't work out so well.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Going against the grain here, but to me when you have a chance to get the best player you do it. Next year, and certainly two years down the road, trading down a few rounds won't mean much, but you'll have a McDavid in his prime versus a Kucherov who will be on the downswing by that time.

Dobber Sports Pro

Well, frig boys, I went ahead and did it. Included in the swap mentioned earlier was his Stone for my Aho. Helped the million-center thing I had going on for a bit. Steep price, but I never thought I'd own McDavid in any league and now I own him in both my keepers.

I rarely go against Dobber consensus (you've helped me make the right call twice in the last 2 days), but the last time I did it was giving up Kane to get Kucherov right before he exploded. Not that Kane has been garbage since, mind you.
    G - Skinner

F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Nice, so what did the final deal end up being?

Dobber Sports Pro

McDavid, Stone & 2 sixths for Kucherov, Aho & 2 firsts. Helped with the too many centers things the other guys helped point out, and 2 6ths in a 13 round draft still aren't that low. Now I've got three of my favourite players for years to come - got Marner at the start of the season, got Matthews last week and now have McDavid. Paid a pretty good price for Marner and overpaid for the two centers, but I'm set for years in that position now!
    G - Skinner