Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Give 1st Overall to Get Barkov? REP Given!

Dobber Sports Pro

Question Give 1st Overall to Get Barkov? REP Given!

I swear I'm not trying to take over the forum, haha, but my league has had an explosion of trade activity and I'm being offered some super interesting options that I don't know what to do with. Latest one:

Barkov & an 11th (out of 13 rounds) for my 1st overall (12 team keep 6). Is this worth it? My only cause for pause is that I'd have to drop either Teravainen or Seguin if I couldn't trade them away for picks (I'd certainly try). Think Barkov is high enough over those two to do the trade? Or keep 1st overall? Thanks!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Give 1st Overall to Get Barkov? REP Given!

1st overall, I’d want his 4th - 5th rounder rather than 11th, but Barkov >> either Teravainen or Seguin imho. By 11th in a 12-team league, you’re getting what, Troy Terry?? He wants 1st overall, gotta pay for that.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

The Great One

I wouldn't consider it unless you already had a deal in place moving Seguin for pick(s). While Barkov is younger and an upgrade - in a limited keeper, you are giving up too much for next year IMO unless you can get some picks. (Plus your upgrade is in the easiest position to acquire).

The Magnificent One

Withyou not keeping a goalie honestly I’d keep the pick
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks guys! I'll counter with Seguin going back his way, and a far higher pick than 11th coming my way. REP left where I could! I would like Barkov, but you've helped me see that I'm set up nice enough with picks (including top two overall) that I don't need to give too much up to get him.

Mildly unrelated, but would you think I was crazy if I planned to take Lafreniere first overall? I did that with Jack Hughes last year and it blew up in my face, but should I give a top rookie one more chance? He just won the QMJHL MVP two years in a row (first since Crosby). I've also got so many high picks that I'm thinking I can afford to risk blowing one pick on a rookie. He'd be the only one I drafted this year. Or should I go for more proven talent and draft him if he's still there in the second round?
    G - Skinner

F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    B - Mateychuk

The Great One

I don't think Lafreniere will be a keeper on your team next year.

Why punt your season before it even begins?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If you have top 2 overall, then that essentially gives you 8 keepers instead of 6. If you could convince him to do the trade for 2nd overall instead of first, that effectively gives you 7 keeper spots, and you wouldn't have to drop one of Seguin or Teravainen (well technically you would, but then redraft them with your first pick). I would certainly take either of them over Lafreniere this year.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I don't think Lafreniere will be a keeper on your team next year.

Why punt your season before it even begins?
    Thanks for talking some sense into me. I get all excited about the new rookie sometimes, but the fact of the matter is that with all my high picks (and my current youthful keepers) I have no reason to build for the future. Not like I'm keeping Burns & Malkin and need to start to pivot, haha.
    G - Skinner

B - Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcelly View Post
    If you have top 2 overall, then that essentially gives you 8 keepers instead of 6. If you could convince him to do the trade for 2nd overall instead of first, that effectively gives you 7 keeper spots, and you wouldn't have to drop one of Seguin or Teravainen (well technically you would, but then redraft them with your first pick). I would certainly take either of them over Lafreniere this year.
    Thanks, that's actually what I've proposed. Seguin & 2nd overall for Barkov & a 3rd. Anyone think that wouldn't be worth it? Is Seguin pretty much just as good?

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    Withyou not keeping a goalie honestly I’d keep the pick
    Good thought. There will for sure be some very good goalies in the first round. Honestly probably only about 6-8 will be kept overall.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcelly View Post
    I just re-read this and got what you meant. I could give him 2nd overall and then still keep my Seguin. Smart! I'll look into that possibility with him.

Dobber Sports Superstar

So it's essentially a 2-for-1 trade where you give up Seguin (as a keeper) and 1st overall (the 73rd best player available) for Barkov.

Barkov is a 80-85 IMO, Seguin is more 70-75 I do not think the jump from Barkov to Seguin is worth the solid player you will be able to draft at 1st overall.

As an aside, I would look at having the 1st and 2nd overall as 2 "extra" keepers and would try and bundle those picks with your existing keepers to upgrade to some real studs.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Deity

The biggest issue for me is you don't need another center. If you aren't upgrading a need, you're wasting the pick in the trade.

I'd have no issues dangling Teravainen and the pick for a stud winger or quality goalie but I don't see the need for Barkov.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The biggest issue for me is you don't need another center. If you aren't upgrading a need, you're wasting the pick in the trade.

I'd have no issues dangling Teravainen and the pick for a stud winger or quality goalie but I don't see the need for Barkov.
    Thanks for this! I agree. Will keep those top two picks unless I can get something really amazing/fill a big need.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    So it's essentially a 2-for-1 trade where you give up Seguin (as a keeper) and 1st overall (the 73rd best player available) for Barkov.

Barkov is a 80-85 IMO, Seguin is more 70-75 I do not think the jump from Barkov to Seguin is worth the solid player you will be able to draft at 1st overall.

As an aside, I would look at having the 1st and 2nd overall as 2 "extra" keepers and would try and bundle those picks with your existing keepers to upgrade to some real studs.
    Thanks! I've backed out of pursuing this deal.