I lowered the settings to this now.

Goals=2.5 Points
    Assists=1.5 points
    PIM=0.5 points
    PPP=1.25 points
    SOG=0.5 points
    FW= 0.75 points
    Hits and Blocks= 1 point

Goalies stay the same. Is this better now? Just wondering.
    If this is a roto league, let's look at a player to see how your point values work:

Patrice Bergeron:

Goals=2.5 Points = 77.5 points
    Assists=1.5 points = 37.5 points
    PIM=0.5 points = 14 points
    PPP=1.25 points = 25 points
    SOG=0.5 points = 101.5 points
    FW= 0.75 points = 569.25 points
    Hits and Blocks= 1 point = 92 points
    TOTAL POINTS = 916.75

David Pastrnak

Goals=2.5 Points = 120
    Assists=1.5 points = 70.5
    PIM=0.5 points = 20
    PPP=1.25 points = 47.5
    SOG=0.5 points = 139.5
    FW= 0.75 points = 5.25
    Hits and Blocks= 1 point = 69
    TOTAL = 471.75

Ryan O'Reilly

FW= 0.75 Points = 660 points

Notice a problem?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Who to take with the 9th pick

Agree. FOW at 0.2 Still values centers, just not beyond reasonable.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Agree. FOW at 0.2 Still values centers, just not beyond reasonable.
    how about 0.07? Would that work?
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    GS is 1.5 points, -1 for GA, 0.2 for SV, 4 for SHO, and 3 for W.
    Team:
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...gi/team/roster

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Also, it is not a roto league, I plan it to be a H2H league.
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Stud

It’s harder for that second digit beyond the decimal
    point. 0.1 ?

Good luck with your league - I hope you have committed opponents. Competitive leagues, where people are respectful and active, are way better than those where the dropout rate exceeds 1 or 2.

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    It’s harder for that second digit beyond the decimal
    point. 0.1 ?

Good luck with your league - I hope you have committed opponents. Competitive leagues, where people are respectful and active, are way better than those where the dropout rate exceeds 1 or 2.
    thanks man, even if it doesn't work out I have 2-3 leagues that have been around for a while so i'm good either way. I hope it does for sure.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Here is what we use in the WHL (24-team league starting 12F/6D/1G):

Skaters:
    G=1 (totally cool to upweight goalscoring if you want.)
    A=1
    PPP=0.5
    +/-=0.25
    SOG=0.05
    HIT=0.05
    BLK=0.05
    PIM=0.05
    FOW=0.01 (from C position players only)

Goalies:
    W=2
    SO=3
    SV=0.1
    GA=-1
    OTL=1

You could ratio your own scoring off our league.
    There have been very few complaints over our five years.
    The things we have adjusted:
    1. Our plus/minus may have originally been +0.5per... it was lowered to +0.25
    2. We didn't have an OTL point for goalies. This is key because if a goalie goes to OT and gives up a goal... he shouldn't have less points than he did at end of regulation. The OTL point assures this.
    3. We are considering lowering GA from -1 to -0.9 or -0.8... because NHL SH% has gone up, NHL SV% has gone down, so our goalies have dropped in value relative to skaters in last two seasons.

Basically, once you have your scoring system you should check the top 50 players scores from, say, a past year or two years ago and say:
    "Does this look like the way people generally see the best players in the league?"
    Also you want to make sure goalie scoring mixes in well with skater scoring.
    If you have 8 goalies in your top 25 players... goalie scoring is probably too high.
    If you have 2 goalies in your top 25 players... goalie scoring may be too low.
    I'd say you want about 3-4 goalies in your top 25 players.
    I'd say you want about 7-8 goalies in your top 50 players.

As for drafting, the WHL started 5 years ago.
    I drafted #6 overall and took Claude Giroux (which I think fell after McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkin, ?, Tavares)... and then I stayed with a bunch of vets thru draft.
    I was great the first year,
    Missed playoffs by a hair year 2,
    Qualified for playoffs by a hair year 3,
    Misssed playoffs by a hair year 4.
    Traded the stars and started rebuild for year 5.
    I'll be in rebuild Year 6, maybe even 7... but I already like my new young team.

Guys get old FAST.
    I drafted guys like Henrik Lundqvist in the 2nd round... David Backes in the 4th round.
    Look at where those guys are now... 5 years later. Worth.NOTHING.

The teams that drafted young punted their first season or two... and now look AMAZING for year 3, 4, 5... maybe even onward into 6, 7.
    That's because the WHOLE league realized that YOUNG is the way to go... and the teams that had young assets - have the riches.

If you think this league could last 5+ years, go young-young-young and don't worry about Seasons1&2.
    Trust me... you will love your own team MOST by watching it rise and then plateau.

Good luck - if there is ONE thing to get right in points-leagues... it's the scoring weights.
    Don't mess that up, because people will (rightfully) complain if you change the scoring next off-season and it hurts one of their players.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Here is what we use in the WHL (24-team league starting 12F/6D/1G):

Skaters:
    G=1 (totally cool to upweight goalscoring if you want.)
    A=1
    PPP=0.5
    +/-=0.25
    SOG=0.05
    HIT=0.05
    BLK=0.05
    PIM=0.05
    FOW=0.01 (from C position players only)

Goalies:
    W=2
    SO=3
    SV=0.1
    GA=-1
    OTL=1

You could ratio your own scoring off our league.
    There have been very few complaints over our five years.
    The things we have adjusted:
    1. Our plus/minus may have originally been +0.5per... it was lowered to +0.25
    2. We didn't have an OTL point for goalies. This is key because if a goalie goes to OT and gives up a goal... he shouldn't have less points than he did at end of regulation. The OTL point assures this.
    3. We are considering lowering GA from -1 to -0.9 or -0.8... because NHL SH% has gone up, NHL SV% has gone down, so our goalies have dropped in value relative to skaters in last two seasons.

Basically, once you have your scoring system you should check the top 50 players scores from, say, a past year or two years ago and say:
    "Does this look like the way people generally see the best players in the league?"
    Also you want to make sure goalie scoring mixes in well with skater scoring.
    If you have 8 goalies in your top 25 players... goalie scoring is probably too high.
    If you have 2 goalies in your top 25 players... goalie scoring may be too low.
    I'd say you want about 3-4 goalies in your top 25 players.
    I'd say you want about 7-8 goalies in your top 50 players.

As for drafting, the WHL started 5 years ago.
    I drafted #6 overall and took Claude Giroux (which I think fell after McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkin, ?, Tavares)... and then I stayed with a bunch of vets thru draft.
    I was great the first year,
    Missed playoffs by a hair year 2,
    Qualified for playoffs by a hair year 3,
    Misssed playoffs by a hair year 4.
    Traded the stars and started rebuild for year 5.
    I'll be in rebuild Year 6, maybe even 7... but I already like my new young team.

Guys get old FAST.
    I drafted guys like Henrik Lundqvist in the 2nd round... David Backes in the 4th round.
    Look at where those guys are now... 5 years later. Worth.NOTHING.

The teams that drafted young punted their first season or two... and now look AMAZING for year 3, 4, 5... maybe even onward into 6, 7.
    That's because the WHOLE league realized that YOUNG is the way to go... and the teams that had young assets - have the riches.

If you think this league could last 5+ years, go young-young-young and don't worry about Seasons1&2.
    Trust me... you will love your own team MOST by watching it rise and then plateau.

Good luck - if there is ONE thing to get right in points-leagues... it's the scoring weights.
    Don't mess that up, because people will (rightfully) complain if you change the scoring next off-season and it hurts one of their players.
    Thanks for the help, I will take this all into consideration! I will check the top 50 players in the scoring system and get back to this thread
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Alright, so my league just voted and they wanted to switch it to categories. I prefer categories, just had the idea of a point league. We are still using the same stats, just in categories instead of point values. Should I consider someone else other than Vasi at 9?
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Stud

From my standpoint, I think GK’s more in 2nd round. Do you really think all of the following will be gone: Vasilevskiy, Rask, Hellebuyck, Kuemper, Binnington.... ?? So if one of my top 8 in my first post on your thread was available, I’d probably take them, then GK at pick 20. Vasi will be gone, so if you want him so bad, ok

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Gustavsson