Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who to take with the 9th pick

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Who to take with the 9th pick

Hey so I am starting a 14 team dynasty league. I got the 9th pick. Here are the point breakdown:

Goals= 4 points
    Assists= 2.5 points
    PIM's=0.5 points
    PPP's=1.5 points
    SOG=0.2 points
    FW=0.5 points
    Hits and blocks= 0.75 points

Goalies:
    Games started= 1 point
    Wins= 3 points
    GA=-1 point
    SV=0.35 points
    Shutouts=4 points

So, I was just wondering what type of strategy I should try to take into the draft? And who should be my top target at 9? Thanks for the responses in advance!
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    GS is 1.5 points, -1 for GA, 0.2 for SV, 4 for SHO, and 3 for W.
    Team:
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...gi/team/roster

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Who to take with the 9th pick

Quote Originally Posted by Kawee View Post
    So, I was just wondering what type of strategy I should try to take into the draft? And who should be my top target at 9? Thanks for the responses in advance!
    I would have only one strategy in this type of league.

1) Draft to win the championship in year 1. Don't worry about the future as there's about a 90% chance that the league folds before the second season so you might as well win a championship

In addition to that, I would make sure I was prepared properly for the draft by making two different lists.

List 1) Your top 9 players without worrying about positions (I might even make the list long enough to cover your 2nd round which would be about 25 players deep but by your 2nd pick you may have to change your strategy depending on positional scarcity)

List 2) Tiered list of players at each position. Your positional lists should go as deep as the number of players that will be drafted at each position.

Dobber Sports Stud

I totally agree with above. Go for it. By 2/3 of season one completed, you’ll have a decent feel BOTH as to your league’s health, and also your own success, and only then either be “all in” if you’re top 4, or start looking beyond.

for pick #9, you’re NOT getting McD, Drai, MacK, Pasta, Kuch, Ovi, AustonMatt, Panarin...... but Patrick Kane will be there - tho I’d sure swipe ANY of my other top 8 if they lasted. Your categories reward scoring far more than multicat performance.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd seriously consider Vasilevskiy at 9th overall.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd seriously consider Vasilevskiy at 9th overall.
    That's what I was thinking, i'm the commish for the league. Should I make any tweaks to the point system? Also, would a guy like Eichel make sense at 9? I would love any suggestions for changes to the point system before my league drafts on Monday.
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Deity

Looks fine although I think I'd bump up the hits and blocks value to 1.0 each just to give Dmen value but that's me. That or offer Dpoints but that adds a whole new category.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Alright. I think taking Vasi at 9 would be the preferred choice. Then I may move down in the 2nd round to get an extra 3rd or 4th round pick? Would that be a good move?
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Deity

Personally I think I'd just make my picks and if you want to move back, I'd do it later in the draft when you are picking mediocre players, rather than give up a chance to draft a high end one with that 2nd pick.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Personally I think I'd just make my picks and if you want to move back, I'd do it later in the draft when you are picking mediocre players, rather than give up a chance to draft a high end one with that 2nd pick.
    Alright. With my 2nd rounder which will be the 20th pick, should I double dip into goalies or take a skater?
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Deity

If you already took a goalie at 9, you need to start focusing on goals.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If you already took a goalie at 9, you need to start focusing on goals.
    Alright, i'll keep that in mind.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Stud

With your present settings, goal scorers and PP1 players are SO favored. Other than Vasilevskiy (like if he’s taken 8th OA), I’d wait til round 3 for plenty of decent GK’s. Hard to imagine others won’t see forwards first on those categories - especially as GK’s get 50-55 starts max.

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    With your present settings, goal scorers and PP1 players are SO favored. Other than Vasilevskiy (like if he’s taken 8th OA), I’d wait til round 3 for plenty of decent GK’s. Hard to imagine others won’t see forwards first on those categories - especially as GK’s get 50-55 starts max.
    I lowered the settings to this now.

Goals=2.5 Points
    Assists=1.5 points
    PIM=0.5 points
    PPP=1.25 points
    SOG=0.5 points
    FW= 0.75 points
    Hits and Blocks= 1 point

Goalies stay the same. Is this better now? Just wondering.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Stud

Faceoff wins overvalued imo. But others weighing in too, see what they think. I liked Axe’s thoughts that D-men needed love too - you helped that a lot.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Faceoff wins overvalued imo. But others weighing in too, see what they think. I liked Axe’s thoughts that D-men needed love too - you helped that a lot.
    Alright thanks guys! I will post a thread of my whole team once I finish the draft. I have lowered Faceoffs to 0.5 as of now. I plan to build my team now around strong goalie play and guys who can do it all, points, faceoffs if possible, but for sure hits and blocks. I may take Brady Tkachuk 2nd or 3rd round.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team: