Thread: What are your thoughts on these league settings?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default What are your thoughts on these league settings?

I am looking to get some unbiased input on these keeper League scoring categories. What categories would you eliminate and add? By the way, I joined this league and had no input on the categories. Thanks for any advice.

Assists (A)
    Goals (G)
    Blocks (Blk)
    Hits (Hit)
    Faceoffs Won - Center (FOW-C)
    Faceoff Percentage - Center (FO%-C)
    Penalty Minutes (PIM) -1 Negative Value
    Shots on Goal (SOG)
    True Shooting % (TS%)

Goalies
    Saves (SV)
    Shutouts (SHO)
    Goals Against Average (GAA)
    Save Percentage (SV%)

10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: What are your thoughts on these league settings?

That's a strange set of categories.
    No wins for goalies is very uncommon, and I'm not sure I like it.

Not sure exactly what True S% is. Also don't like that it's FOW heavy with two categories designated there.

I'm sure overall it's fine once you're used to it, but seems a little weird and I'm not sure I would go for it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Goalies count shutouts, but not wins?

Goals, shots on goal, and true shooting percentage? Really?

At least there is no plus/minus. So there's that.

Not my cup of tea, personally.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Very bizarre set of stat-cats!! Minus points for penalty minutes, why??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

Defintely puts a high value on centers and very little value on defensemen, especially with the negative for PIMs. Hit's and blocks wouldnt make up the difference in my eyes for D value. I'd take away one of the FOW cats and possibly add D points or some other way to boost D value. If not, you're going to have a very lopsided roster setup.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Thanks fellas for your insight. IMO- centers have way too much value in this league and not for the right reasons. McDavid is the 25th ranked player and 19th ranked skater. Bo Horvat, JP Pageau, Brock Nelson, and Phillip Danauet are all ranked ahead of him from this past season. 22% of the skater stats is tied to faceoffs that only centers score points on. In other words our 4 starting centers account for 22% of the roto points for all the skaters and the centers accrue stats for the other skater cats as well. That is ridiculous.

I am going to propose to eliminate Faceoff % and make FOW for any player as the only faceoff category. Add points and wins as a categories while eliminating shutouts. Eliminate shot% as well. Sound reasonable?
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

It sounds reasonable from the perspective of designing a scoring system that makes sense.

But I suspect you will face major resistance. Because you'll GM's only thinking about how your re-evaluation impacts their teams. EG: But I traded McDavid for Danauet based on these specific settings.

Making 5 changes to the categories, all at once...my instinct is that you should just do a full re-set and re-draft.

(Just FYI - this is not intended as criticism, just a reaction based on my experience trying to change a single category within a league).

Dobber Sports Superstar

Skaters
    Goals- obvious to include.
    Assists – obvious to include.
    SOG- good stat
    Hits- a solid gritty stat
    Blocks – solid stat, adds value to D-men
    Face-off % - I prefer to face-off wins. Total wins is too easy to scam with C’s slotted into wing spots etc. a guy with 25 wins and 40% did Not have a good game
    Face-off won -total – I prefer percentage. Also, why have both, that’s dumb. Face-offs count has many categories as points, its too much.
    PIMs negative– a lot could be written on the topic. This aligns with hockey reality more wherein PIMs are bad. If you could exempt offsetting penalties, especially fights, that would be ideal. Would be hard to find big hitters but low PIM guys.
    True Shooting % - no idea what it is. I probably do not like the inclusion. Sounds like its Goals/shot attempts. I do not like it. This would hurt high SOG guys, taking a SOG in hockey is good, even if you miss the net. Don’t understand why a fancy stat like this is included. Also, what provider even offers this??

Goalies
    SV%- totally standard and the best single stat to rank goalies
    GAA- second best stat when combined with SVs gives a good balance
    SVs- the only real volume stat here, rewards workhorses.
    SOs – to random and infrequent for my liking. If head-to-head an even worse category.

A split of 9 skater - 4 goalie is not bad but given the 2 FO stats everything is skewed.

If I had total control I would:
    Replace Face-offs won with either PPP or just P
    replace SOs with Ws or delete to 3 goalie stats.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Thanks fellas for your insight. IMO- centers have way too much value in this league and not for the right reasons. McDavid is the 25th ranked player and 19th ranked skater. Bo Horvat, JP Pageau, Brock Nelson, and Phillip Danauet are all ranked ahead of him from this past season. 22% of the skater stats is tied to faceoffs that only centers score points on. In other words our 4 starting centers account for 22% of the roto points for all the skaters and the centers accrue stats for the other skater cats as well. That is ridiculous.

I am going to propose to eliminate Faceoff % and make FOW for any player as the only faceoff category. Add points and wins as a categories while eliminating shutouts. Eliminate shot% as well. Sound reasonable?
    This is the easiest way to see that the rankings do not make sense. McDavid is the best player in the NHL, if you run any scoring setup for the last 3 seasons and McDavid does not show up in the top-5 for every season then your scoring is dumb. Who wants a league where it legitimately makes sense to trade McDavid for Bo Horvat?
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    It sounds reasonable from the perspective of designing a scoring system that makes sense.

But I suspect you will face major resistance. Because you'll GM's only thinking about how your re-evaluation impacts their teams. EG: But I traded McDavid for Danauet based on these specific settings.

Making 5 changes to the categories, all at once...my instinct is that you should just do a full re-set and re-draft.

(Just FYI - this is not intended as criticism, just a reaction based on my experience trying to change a single category within a league).
    The commissioner who set these categories has left the league so that is a major hurdle that is gone. Hopefully, owners decide to fix the scoring and make it more reasonable even if it doesn't help their team. I'm going to at least try.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    This is the easiest way to see that the rankings do not make sense. McDavid is the best player in the NHL, if you run any scoring setup for the last 3 seasons and McDavid does not show up in the top-5 for every season then your scoring is dumb. Who wants a league where it legitimately makes sense to trade McDavid for Bo Horvat?
    Here's another one- Adam Henrique was #29 while Barzal, Kuznetsov, and Crosby are ranked 72, 73, and 74 respectively. And Marner was 219th.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    The commissioner who set these categories has left the league so that is a major hurdle that is gone. Hopefully, owners decide to fix the scoring and make it more reasonable even if it doesn't help their team. I'm going to at least try.
    Obviously, hats off to you and I hope it works! If you find resistance to a major overhaul of categories, you could suggest a complete redraft as a fall back plan...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think you want to propose this stuff in stages.

1. True Shooting Percentage. This is not basketball, where that stat has some value, and it's reasonably well known and understood. Like everyone else, I don't know what it is.

2. Goalie stuff is fine for me. SO's are a bit random, but Wins are more a team stat than a pure goalie stat. If you want wins & not shutouts, that's okay, but this is basically just about as good.

3. Scoring is way too centered on centers. Need just 1 faceoff category. I'd replace one of them with a defense only category if you are trying for more balance. I would NOT choose to add just points, since forwards can get those as well.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I think you want to propose this stuff in stages.

1. True Shooting Percentage. This is not basketball, where that stat has some value, and it's reasonably well known and understood. Like everyone else, I don't know what it is.

2. Goalie stuff is fine for me. SO's are a bit random, but Wins are more a team stat than a pure goalie stat. If you want wins & not shutouts, that's okay, but this is basically just about as good.

3. Scoring is way too centered on centers. Need just 1 faceoff category. I'd replace one of them with a defense only category if you are trying for more balance. I would NOT choose to add just points, since forwards can get those as well.
    The reason I will propose adding points is that the league currently only has goals and assists as 2 of the 9 skater stats. I'm all for the grit stats, shots, ect. but scoring goals and playmaking are more important to winning hockey games. If you add points and eliminate true shooting % then 38% of your scoring stats is scoring, 25% is grit, and 12% each is for shots, FOW, and -PIM. It is a roto league. And I agree about wins versus shutouts being similar in value but there are some differences. Wins are more predictable while shutouts are also a team stat as well. It is easier for goalies who face 25 shots per night to record a shutout than goalies who routinely face 35 to 40 shots per night. At least with wins you are dealing with 25+ per starter as opposed to 5 or less shutouts per season for a goalie. Thanks for info.

Dobber Sports Icon

1) Get rid of the face off stats completely. When the best faceoff man in the league wins less than 6 out of 10 faceoffs, it's a terrible stat for fantasy purposes. It also has almost zero bearing on a team's chances to win.

2) I like giving PIMs a negative value as it matches up with real hockey. A penalty is almost always a bad thing for your team.

3) Get rid of True Shooting Percentage. I have no idea what true shooting percentage is and I have been watching/playing both real and fantasy hockey for 40 years. That's probably a sign of a bad/useless statistic.

4) Replace shutouts with wins. There were only 104 shutouts in the NHL last season so they are too rare to be useful for a fantasy league.

5) Add points as a statistic. Sure it means that goals and assists are counted twice but they are the single biggest determinate of who wins a hockey game so they are the most important stat.

6) Add time on ice as a stat. This greatly increases the value for dmen.

7) Add blocks/hits/takeaways as a group statistic. This adds value to "defensive" play and can add more value to dmen. It also keeps you at 9 skater and 4 goalie categories which is what the league currently has.