Thread: Vasilevskiy at 9.5mil?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Vasilevskiy at 9.5mil?

I've been seeing a few posts with guys saying they wouldn't want to hold onto vasilevskiy in cap leagues with his new price of 9.5mil per season. I'm on the fence with this one. If I was to consider trading him, I'd need another goalie coming back my way, even if he isn't quite as good.
    My question is, which goalies out there would be acceptable replacements for vasilevskiy (while obviously getting a solid + in the deal as well)? I wouldn't want any goalies who are at or near the downswing of their career since vasilevskiy seems like he's really just getting started, so no price or holtby kind of goalies.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Vasilevskiy at 9.5mil?

Three come to mind for me:

Carter Hart - one more year left on entry level, and then will be due a big raise.
    Jordan Binnington - one more year at a very affordable 4.4 million.
    Connor Hellebuyck - locked up for 4 more years at 6.2 million.

The other young stud that I would consider is Igor Shesterkin, but his team situation isn't quite as clear cut.

The Great One

It's interesting. My first two thoughts were Carter Hart (but I don't think someone would move Hart for Vasi straight up, given cap implications). The second name I had was Binnington, half the salary … for one year. You might be able to pull this off, depending on how "sold" the Binnington owner is on upside. I didn't consider Shesterkin at all, given the notion that a goalie is needed for next year.

What makes this a bit hard to answer is we don't know how close you are to the cap, or how competitive your team is, or how (relatively) important goalies are in your set up (i.e. are goalies over-valued, or ridiculously over-valued?) I don't play cap leagues any more, but when I did, my strategy was usually to trade "star" goalies before they re-signed.

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd have no issues keeping Vasilevskiy at $9.5M. He's going to earn that contract for the term, barring injuries but no one can control that.

Do you have an issue with McDavid at $12.5M? Eichel at $11M? Matthews at $11.6M? All of these kids are signed long term on the upswing of their careers. Vasilevskiy is no different for me. He's arguably the best at his position and deserves to be paid that way, especially considering he hasn't even reached his prime years yet.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If you need a starter:
    Hellebuyck, but in a cap league I would probably ask you to add a little on Vasilevskiy to cover the $3.3M difference
    Gibson, signed for 8 years at $6.4M. Great goalie, bad team for the next 2 years.
    Hart
    Binnington
    Markstrom, UFA this year though...

If you can stomach having a Backup/1B goalie for 1-2 year and maybe have a good forward added
    Samsonov
    Shesterkyn
    Merzlikins

But personnaly, like Axeman said, I'd keep Vasilevskiy. He's probably a vezina candidate for the next half decade at least

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd have no issues keeping Vasilevskiy at $9.5M. He's going to earn that contract for the term, barring injuries but no one can control that.

Do you have an issue with McDavid at $12.5M? Eichel at $11M? Matthews at $11.6M? All of these kids are signed long term on the upswing of their careers. Vasilevskiy is no different for me. He's arguably the best at his position and deserves to be paid that way, especially considering he hasn't even reached his prime years yet.
    My thoughts exactly.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Superstar

the two months of dominance he put up before the pause are reason enough to make swallowing that pricey pill easier.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Ace

I had Vas last season and recently traded him away because of his contract. He would average around 40 wins, 4 SO and 4 OTL, for around 100 points in my pool the last few seasons.

They way I look at it is, if you have, let’s say $11 million dollars of cap remaining to dress 1D and 1G, here’s how it breaks down. Keep in mind that this is a keeper league where most of the cheaper good players are scooped up already. In one year leagues this would not apply.

So..
    Group A
    Vas $9.5 100 points
    D $1.5- for this price you are going to have to gamble on a young/unproven D man on an entry level deal. So best case 35 points.
    Total 135 points. For $11m

Vs
    Group B
    $4-$5m G ( Koskinen, kuemper, Ullmark) about 75-80 points. 30 wins. 2-3 SO’s and a few overtime losses.
    $6-$7m D ( Jones, Giordano, Petry, Edler, Provorov) about 45-55 points.
    So total around 130-140 points.

So you might say, there’s isn’t much of a difference. And there isn’t. The problem lies in replacement. Injuries happen. Vasilevskiy was hurt this year. And when he does there are few who can replace him and maintain his pace. Where if players from group B can be replaced more easily.

Basically what I’m saying is don’t put all your chickens in one $9.5m dollar basket.

Just my way of seeing it.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Ace

I had Vas last season and recently traded him away because of his contract. He would average around 40 wins, 4 SO and 4 OTL, for around 100 points in my pool the last few seasons.

They way I look at it is, if you have, let’s say $11 million dollars of cap remaining to dress 1D and 1G, here’s how it breaks down. Keep in mind that this is a keeper league where most of the cheaper good players are scooped up already. In one year leagues this would not apply.

So..
    Group A
    Vas $9.5 100 points
    D $1.5- for this price you are going to have to gamble on a young/unproven D man on an entry level deal. So best case 35 points.
    Total 135 points. For $11m

Vs
    Group B
    $4-$5m G ( Koskinen, kuemper, Ullmark) about 75-80 points. 30 wins. 2-3 SO’s and a few overtime losses.
    $6-$7m D ( Jones, Giordano, Petry, Edler, Provorov) about 45-55 points.
    So total around 130-140 points.

So you might say, there’s isn’t much of a difference. And there isn’t. The problem lies in replacement. Injuries happen. Vasilevskiy was hurt this year. And when he does there are few who can replace him and maintain his pace. Where if players from group B can be replaced more easily.

Basically what I’m saying is don’t put all your chickens in one $9.5m dollar basket.

Just my way of seeing it.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Vasilevskiy been the W leader in the league in the last 3 seasons. Even when he's been injured.

Most of the goalies around $4-5M are in a 1A/1B goalie system. You'd be very lucky to get 30 W out of those goalies.