Thread: Keeper help please

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Keeper help please

For the league in my signature,

Trying to figure out my 4 keepers. The players I keep have their cost rise by 5$ on next season's auction budget. For example, I got Nick Schmaltz for 4$ at auction this year, so if I keep him, he counts as 9$ on next year's 150$ auction budget.

To give you an idea of the auction value of players by position :

Top forwards like Crosby/Ovechkin go for around 65-70$
    Top defensemen like Burns/Karlsson/Carlson go for around 45$
    Good goalies go for around 20-25$, with an occasionnal goalie going for around 30$

I'm thinking my keepers would probably look like :
    B.Tkachuk, will cost 10$
    K.Fiala, will cost 8$
    A.Cirelli, will cost 5$
    I.Sheshtyorkin, will cost 5$

Other candidates who are making me hesitate :
    N.Hischier, would cost 10$. I don't know what to make of him. Will he break out or will he be relegated to a 2nd line behind Hughes and maybe Byfield/Laferriere?
    N.Schmaltz, would cost 9$. Had a couple of great streaks last season.
    J.Marino, would cost 5$. If you tke out his first 9 games where he had no points, he had a 45 point pace the rest of the season. a cheap 45 point d-man is very tempting.

Of course, I don't need to decide now. Just trying to start figuring things out in advance.

Thanks for your help!
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Keeper help please

I am with 3 of your 4 picks but I want Hischier over Cirelli. Idk how the farm works but def time to graduate Fox to replace Yandle.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    I am with 3 of your 4 picks but I want Hischier over Cirelli. Idk how the farm works but def time to graduate Fox to replace Yandle.
    I'm on board with this too. Cirelli's upside is probably a little capped as a more defensively responsible player.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Idk how the farm works but def time to graduate Fox to replace Yandle.
    Since Yandle won't be one of my keepers, he won't be in my lineup either way. That said... I'm just a bit afraid of the dreaded sophomore slump for Fox and/or Necas, which is why I think I'll keep them in my farm team, at least to start the year.

Thanks for the input about Cirelli/Hischier!

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree with this but instead of keeping Hischier and dropping Cirelli, I'd let Fiala go back in and keep Hischier over Fiala.

No offense, but man, for a league this size, your team needs a lot of help. This is not a good team at all. You have a long way to go to respectability.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    No offense, but man, for a league this size, your team needs a lot of help. This is not a good team at all. You have a long way to go to respectability.
    None taken. I sold pretty much everything of value that I could during the season to go full rebuild. Even then, I still had a better record than 6 other teams in my league (so one quarter of the whole league). Heck, I even almost made the regular playoffs. Now I'm looking at 7/36 ping pong balls for the order of the draft with the best odds being 8/36.

That being said, why would you let Fiala back in the auction rather than Hischier or Cirelli? I know the Wild won't offer a big supporting cast, but isn't it basically the same cast that was there when he took off in production?

EDIT : I just looked back at the schedule and, including 2 loser playoff rounds, I had a 6-1-1 record with my last 8 matchups...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    None taken. I sold pretty much everything of value that I could during the season to go full rebuild. Even then, I still had a better record than 6 other teams in my league (so one quarter of the whole league). Heck, I even almost made the regular playoffs. Now I'm looking at 7/36 ping pong balls for the order of the draft with the best odds being 8/36.

That being said, why would you let Fiala back in the auction rather than Hischier or Cirelli? I know the Wild won't offer a big supporting cast, but isn't it basically the same cast that was there when he took off in production?

EDIT : I just looked back at the schedule and, including 2 loser playoff rounds, I had a 6-1-1 record with my last 8 matchups...
    Because I prefer Hischier and Cirelli's potential more than I do Fialas.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think the options are down to Marino/Cirelli/Hischier/Fiala for 2 spots. Tkachuk & Igor are locks.
    Since you only draft your starters, the bench draftees have a cost of 0, I'm guessing.

Hischier is the Devils' #1C until further notice. That notice may or may not be coming from Hughes. At $10, he's reasonable value.
    Fiala broke out, and will be at $8, also reasonable value. Upside may be limited by teammates.
    Cirelii broke out, and will be at $5, also reasonable value. Upside may be limited by deployment
    Marino got dealt, and showed what he can do/broke out, and will be at $5, likely reasonable value. Upside limited by deployment.

I'd honestly tell you to look at past auctions to see how defensemen like Marino are valued. He's a guy I'd likely be willing to throw back in due to being the lowest name recognition, and try and get in the auction for about the same price. However, I have no experience with fantasy hockey auctions specifically, but I do with other big 3 sports.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

One thing of note about Cirelli is he's an offer sheet/trade candidate out of Tampa Bay's cap hell right now. IF (and I know that's a huge IF) someone offer sheets him, or TB decides Serg is a better player to keep (as they will struggle to afford to keep both) they'll be a lot of uncertainty surrounding Cirelli. Who knows where he'll end up. this uncertainty is something to consider for sure...
    32 Team Keeper League
    Dynasty, unlimited prospects.
    $62 million salary cap (negotiate our own salaries)
    Current roster:
    Centers: Hintz, Eichel, Zegras, M. Barron, Schiefele.
    Wingers: T. Thompson, Teravainen, Slafovsky, Duchene/J. Benn
    Defencemen: Q Hughes, , Hamilton, Fowler, Borowiecki, Liljegren
    Goalies: F. Andersen, Conor Ingram, M. Murray
    Farm: Egor Sokolov, Jett Woo,
    Skater points: Goals, Assists, +/-, PiMs, GWG, Points
    Goalie points: Ws, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishJet View Post
    One thing of note about Cirelli is he's an offer sheet/trade candidate out of Tampa Bay's cap hell right now. IF (and I know that's a huge IF) someone offer sheets him, or TB decides Serg is a better player to keep (as they will struggle to afford to keep both) they'll be a lot of uncertainty surrounding Cirelli. Who knows where he'll end up. this uncertainty is something to consider for sure...
    Or Tampa could look at moving someone like Tyler Johnson, Alex Killorn, Ondrej Palat to open up cap space for Cirelli as been discussed by a few. They aren't going to watch a young talent like Cirelli walk away. Tampa has proven they are very sly when it comes to finding ways to sign players to quality contracts and keeping the ones they want to keep.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Agreed--if they can get those guys (Killorn doesn't have one so will for sure be traded) to waive their NTC that would be an ideal situation for them. They also have Cernak and Serg to resign, and since they only have 3 defencemen currently signed for next year those two must be the priority. It wouldn't be a huge surprise to see Cirelli in a different uniform whenever next season starts.

It's one hell of an ask for TB to pull off keeping everyone, so I think that it is still an uncertainty that needs to be considered though.
    32 Team Keeper League
    Dynasty, unlimited prospects.
    $62 million salary cap (negotiate our own salaries)
    Current roster:
    Centers: Hintz, Eichel, Zegras, M. Barron, Schiefele.
    Wingers: T. Thompson, Teravainen, Slafovsky, Duchene/J. Benn
    Defencemen: Q Hughes, , Hamilton, Fowler, Borowiecki, Liljegren
    Goalies: F. Andersen, Conor Ingram, M. Murray
    Farm: Egor Sokolov, Jett Woo,
    Skater points: Goals, Assists, +/-, PiMs, GWG, Points
    Goalie points: Ws, GAA, SV%, SHO