Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ramblings Comments - NHL Ringers Rule Not Agreed upon by NHLPA

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Ramblings Comments - NHL Ringers Rule Not Agreed upon by NHLPA

Is it no longer to comment on the ramblings? I can't figure out how to do it if it is still possible.

The comment I want to make is that the NHLPA has not agreed to the "no ringers" rule should the current NHL season be continued. I don't see any reason they would sign off on something like that. There is still a very good chance that this NHL proposed rule does not pass. It would be difficult for the NHL to convince an arbitrator (who ever decided on a ruling) that it makes sense to allow a team to bring in a CHL guy who was signed to a contract that would not have been able to join the NHL team in a regular season but not allow an NHL team to bring in a "ringer" who would normally have been allowed to join the team.

I would suggest using this fact to help you acquire certain Russians for cheaper costs. Convince the Kaprizov/Sorokin owner in your league that they will be signing in Russia for another year because they won't be able to come to the NHL until January then watch them join your roster as soon as the NHL starts up again. There is little chance the NHLPA is going to let the NHL strong arm them into not getting more players signed contracts for the current season.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Ramblings Comments - NHL Ringers Rule Not Agreed upon by NHLPA

The interesting thing here, is that the NHLPA may be refusing to allow this even though the people it benefits aren't current members of the union, which is unusual in pro sports.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

I don’t really have any idea why the NHLPA would be opposed to this rule.

Dobber Sports Padawan

It's a good way to keep potential star power out of the league. Sometimes the NHL makes some really stupid decisions. If both Kap and Sorokin sign in the K, that's thrice times I've been screwed over by Russians haha! LET THEM PLAY!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I don’t really have any idea why the NHLPA would be opposed to this rule.
    1) It limits the number of NHLPA members paid by NHL teams. While no salary is earned during playoff hockey, players still get paid per diem/signing bonuses/etc.
    2) It may force some players to wait a full year before signing their first NHL contract.
    3) It makes some players wait an extra year before becoming UFAs
    4) It is the way the rules of the CBA were agreed to. The NHLPA does not want to give the NHL anything else without getting something back in return.
    5) It's going to be hard enough for the NHL to get the NHLPA to agree to extend the current contracts set to expire on June 30th that I doubt they are going to be able to get the NHLPA to concede on much else. Can you imagine the NHL trying to organize the playoffs when 371 NHL players who played at least 1 NHL game this season (287 played 10 games) have contracts that expire on June 30th?

Those are just some of the reasons why the NHLPA would not agree to this rule change. I am sure we could think of more if we tried.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Is it no longer to comment on the ramblings? I can't figure out how to do it if it is still possible.
    I find that, if it doesn't load automatically, I have to refresh the page for the comments area to show up.

Dobber Sports Veteran

How likely is it NHL and NHLPA come to some asinine compromise where these players can sign for 2019/20 and burn a year off their ELC but wont be allowed to play this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    1) It limits the number of NHLPA members paid by NHL teams. While no salary is earned during playoff hockey, players still get paid per diem/signing bonuses/etc. - these players are not members, and at best it just shifts which members are paid.
    2) It may force some players to wait a full year before signing their first NHL contract. - non NHLPA members.
    3) It makes some players wait an extra year before becoming UFAs - non NHLPA players.
    4) It is the way the rules of the CBA were agreed to. The NHLPA does not want to give the NHL anything else without getting something back in return. - I'm not sure we fully have a real understanding of the rules in the CBA as they relate to signings in July 2020 for the 2019-2020 season.
    5) It's going to be hard enough for the NHL to get the NHLPA to agree to extend the current contracts set to expire on June 30th that I doubt they are going to be able to get the NHLPA to concede on much else. Can you imagine the NHL trying to organize the playoffs when 371 NHL players who played at least 1 NHL game this season (287 played 10 games) have contracts that expire on June 30th? - I don't see the relevance to new, non-existent contracts. Returning to play is going to a partnership, not an imposed mandate from one side to the other.

Those are just some of the reasons why the NHLPA would not agree to this rule change. I am sure we could think of more if we tried.
    1) It costs current NHLPA members their jobs.

What benefit to the current membership of the NHLPA does allowing non-contract players to sign? It would have to be some altruistic sense of a "better chance to win" for a few teams. The NHLPA is (and should be) protectionist to it's current members. Not allowing these players to sign is protectionist to it's current membership.

Dobber Sports Guru

I think precedence should come into play. Players have signed just before the playoffs in the past, so why disallow it now?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Gusev and Gavrikov and Makar all signed during the playoffs last year if I'm not mistaken.

What benefit to the current membership of the NHLPA does allowing non-contract players to sign? It would have to be some altruistic sense of a "better chance to win" for a few teams. The NHLPA is (and should be) protectionist to it's current members. Not allowing these players to sign is protectionist to it's current membership.
    The only benefits I can see:

1. To be completely technical, it would give them more members, and more union dues. I have no idea what their dues structure is like, but I'm sure it's very, very non-standard. This isn't a union with tens or hundreds of thousands of members across a country.

2. To get something else that they want in negotiations.

3. To gain whatever PR benefit there may be.

Having been involved in union negotiations from both sides, I can say that sometimes one should not underestimate the possibility of stupidity from either or both sides.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

I might have this wrong. But doesn't the salary cap and roster limit of 23 get eliminated for the playoffs? If that's true, and Minnesota signs Kapizov - for example - wouldn't it have no impact on the contract status of other Wild players? I suppose Minnesota could bury Kunin or Greenway (2 way deals) to save a very marginal amount of cash. But in the playoffs, I think they might want these guys practicing and available? I don't think it will cost jobs or salary for anyone, but it could cost ice time or healthy scratches. As I say, I might not be understanding the rules, or your point, though.

Hasn’t it been floated that rosters will be 28? Ergo, it doesn’t matter which 28 they are.

Dobber Sports Stud

I really don’t see much difference between Players like Kaprizov, Perunovich, or Denisenko - and how Makar signed last season. “Because of coronavirus” has become the excuse here, not an actual reason.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Superstar

NHLPA will want players to be able to burn a year off to get closer to free agency. Generates more $ for players and PA. Expanded rosters for playoffs will not hurt curernt players.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO