Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Holtby: on the move or not?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Holtby: on the move or not?

I like Chicago as a fit.

Maybe they let Crawford walk and go with Holtby. I can see Chicago improving next season. Holtby might see it as a good fit. But he would have to take a bit less than market value.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Prodigy

no faith in Rittich?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

@mikes lemons no faith in Rittich

Dobber Sports Genius

I can’t picture where he’ll go but I don’t see it being in Washington.

Some big differences between Fleury and Holtby are that MAF had a NMC, no heir apparent, and no expansion draft on the horizon when he signed the contract that followed him to Vegas. Because of those things Pittsburg was in a pickle and were fortunate Fleury is an easy going guy who “took one for the team”.

Washington on the other hand has an heir apparent, know there’s an expansion draft coming, and aren’t locked into a contract with Holtby.

One of the only ways I see them being able to juggle this is if Holtby agrees to no trade protection, part of the problem with that is teams pay more to avoid NTC/NMC and Wash has some other decent contracts coming up. Ovi will likely stick around and get a few million more, Vrana will get a pay bump, and Samsonov will be due a good raise. The salary cap isn’t going to be giving teams much wiggle room over the next few years either.

One big concern I’d have as the team with signing Holtby to a wealthy contract without trade protection is that he has yet again another subpar season and makes no sense for Seattle to select in the draft. Selecting an underperformed with a bloated contract is not a good way to start a team so what would the Caps have to add at that point to convince Seattle to take him off their hands? Teams don’t want to be stuck bribing the new guys again since it was a negative more often than not last time around, supposedly they’ve learned from dealing with Vegas.

Had a few other thoughts on this but they escaped me and I have to get back to work lol.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    I can’t picture where he’ll go but I don’t see it being in Washington.

Some big differences between Fleury and Holtby are that MAF had a NMC, no heir apparent, and no expansion draft on the horizon when he signed the contract that followed him to Vegas. Because of those things Pittsburg was in a pickle and were fortunate Fleury is an easy going guy who “took one for the team”.

Washington on the other hand has an heir apparent, know there’s an expansion draft coming, and aren’t locked into a contract with Holtby.

One of the only ways I see them being able to juggle this is if Holtby agrees to no trade protection, part of the problem with that is teams pay more to avoid NTC/NMC and Wash has some other decent contracts coming up. Ovi will likely stick around and get a few million more, Vrana will get a pay bump, and Samsonov will be due a good raise. The salary cap isn’t going to be giving teams much wiggle room over the next few years either.

One big concern I’d have as the team with signing Holtby to a wealthy contract without trade protection is that he has yet again another subpar season and makes no sense for Seattle to select in the draft. Selecting an underperformed with a bloated contract is not a good way to start a team so what would the Caps have to add at that point to convince Seattle to take him off their hands? Teams don’t want to be stuck bribing the new guys again since it was a negative more often than not last time around, supposedly they’ve learned from dealing with Vegas.

Had a few other thoughts on this but they escaped me and I have to get back to work lol.
    No heir apparent? Matt Murray?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    No heir apparent? Matt Murray?
    Fleury signed that contract in Nov 2014, Murray’s career up to that point didn’t scream future starter and Stanley Cup champion, not to me a gay and I don’t remember him getting much recognition until after that season. At that point he had far less of a professional resume compared to Samsonov who has been a top prospect since his draft and put up really solid seasons in the KHL.

W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    Fleury signed that contract in Nov 2014, Murray’s career up to that point didn’t scream future starter and Stanley Cup champion, not to me a gay and I don’t remember him getting much recognition until after that season. At that point he had far less of a professional resume compared to Samsonov who has been a top prospect since his draft and put up really solid seasons in the KHL.
    Ok, I see what you are saying. You are referring more to when MAF signed his deal, more-so than when they determined to leave him exposed for the expansion draft. I misunderstood what you were trying to say there.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Ok, I see what you are saying. You are referring more to when MAF signed his deal, more-so than when they determined to leave him exposed for the expansion draft. I misunderstood what you were trying to say there.
    Precicely, Holtbys camp will be negotiating under very different circumstances than Fleury when he received that “problematic” contract and had to get out of it. I just don’t see the two situations being a fair comparison given that Washington can take all these things into account while Pittsburg didn’t have that luxury.

W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Additionally, Fleury's contract was really only problematic because they had another option who was younger & cheaper.

If I'm running Washington, I tell him to test the market, and let us know what he finds.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Another factor that is getting overlooked is that next season seems like it won't start till December. I fully expect the NHL to run a full (or very close to full) schedule (they've made it clear that all almighty dollar is what's most important to them). That'll mean MANY back to back games. Teams will need two good goalies more than ever next year. The Caps can resign holtby and still get samsonov 40 starts and then let holtby go to Seattle the following year.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    Another factor that is getting overlooked is that next season seems like it won't start till December. I fully expect the NHL to run a full (or very close to full) schedule (they've made it clear that all almighty dollar is what's most important to them). That'll mean MANY back to back games. Teams will need two good goalies more than ever next year. The Caps can resign holtby and still get samsonov 40 starts and then let holtby go to Seattle the following year.
    I really doubt Holtby will sign a 2+ year deal with Washington unless the 2nd year comes with a NMC. I just don't see why he'd sign a contract that would make his future that uncertain.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Hour View Post
    I think Holtby is on the move - his stats have been underwhelming given the team he plays for. I think the only way he's back in Washington next season is if he goes on a run and gets another cup,
    otherwise it'll be Samsonov next season and beyond IMO.

Related question - who do you keep between Holtby and Markstrom given all the unknowns for next season ?
    Markstrom... Holtby trending badly. Not great on one of the greatest teams, so put him on Chicago's porous defense for example, and he may go from middling to poor faster than you can post: Holtby or Bernier?
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Genius

What about EDM as an option? They seem to seek a goalie since Ranford....
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by CHunter View Post
    What about EDM as an option? They seem to seek a goalie since Ranford....
    I thought about edmonton too. Koskinen was better this year but that's a Chiarelli move and I wonder if the new management really believes he can take them to the promised land. I think they would jump at the opportunity to sign Holtby probably.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Ace

Me likey the Edmonton idea too!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)