Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Holtby: on the move or not?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Holtby: on the move or not?

Where do you guys think he will end up?

Stays in Was or sign elsewhere?

Could he be a fit in Buffalo, Detroit, Vancouver?

Thanks
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Holtby: on the move or not?

Calgary. I mean, I hope he does. Still a great goalie and we haven't had one of them since Kipper!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Monster

I think he's likely to leave - Washington broke the bank for Backstrom and I think they aren't willing to do the same for Holtby. There are many opportunities available, but most of them seem to have some kind of issue. Either there's an established/upside goalie there or it's a bad team. I wonder if the best fit fantasy-wise might actually be Chicago - if Crawford moves on. Not a powerhouse but he'd have the net mostly to himself.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

The Great One

I don't see a fit with Buffalo or Detroit; Vancouver - hard to say without knowing whether Markstrom will re-sign. Also a bit hard to peg Holtby - i.e. how much he chases money/term, or if playing on a contender is more important to him.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think a lot will be shown once the games start back up again and we head into the playoffs. If the Caps run Holtby out there night after night for the playoffs, that should tell you that they aren't ready to hand the reigns to Samsonov full time yet.

I've said this many times, the Caps are still a Stanley Cup contender for the foreseeable future and Samsonov has played well in his secondary role as a rookie. Are the Caps ready to make him their true 1A next year and be confident that he's ready to carry them deep into the playoffs? We'll see and we'll see very soon.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I basically agree with Axe. I expect that we may see a bit more of backups in the early rounds of the playoffs, or later there are a lot of back-to-backs or odd times of games. How well the 2 goalies play will tell a lot, and of course injuries can happen.

It's too soon to tell.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Monster

Another factor to consider is the expansion draft. Caps will have to choose one goalie to protect; Samsonov will be eligible for the draft as far as I know. So that may be another factor against Washington wanting to sign Holtby or Holtby wanting to sign with them, due to the uncertainty.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Another factor to consider is the expansion draft. Caps will have to choose one goalie to protect; Samsonov will be eligible for the draft as far as I know. So that may be another factor against Washington wanting to sign Holtby or Holtby wanting to sign with them, due to the uncertainty.
    Or is that a reason to sign Holtby, and leave him exposed?

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think Holtby is on the move - his stats have been underwhelming given the team he plays for. I think the only way he's back in Washington next season is if he goes on a run and gets another cup,
    otherwise it'll be Samsonov next season and beyond IMO.

Related question - who do you keep between Holtby and Markstrom given all the unknowns for next season ?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I just don't see Washington having the money to give Holtby.. I am guessing he is gone, they sign a veteran backup who can be exposed in the expansion draft in a years time!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Great point here. I think they let Holtby walk, and run with Samsonov. Expansion draft is the same reason I don't see a fit with Vancouver or Buffalo. They don't sign him just to expose him or their young goalie (Demko and Ullmark respectively).

Another team to throw out there that I could see as a possible fit would be San Jose.
    Teams I could see as a fit:

Chicago (let Crawford go UFA due to injury concerns)
    San Jose (although Jones' contract makes this tricky)
    Detroit (Howard's contract up now)
    Ottawa (Anderson's contract up as well)

I wouldn't underestimate the impact of the expansion draft, as team's will be more reluctant to cater to Seattle than they were with Vegas, and won't want to give away valuable assets. This will be a key factor in Vancouver's decision making with Markstrom this summer, as both he and Demko would need to be protected. The other interesting situation to me is Pittsburgh with Jarry and Murray. Will they set up Seattle in goal again like they did with Vegas?

The four teams above could have Holtby as their protected goalie while exposing someone that wouldn't be a huge loss.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Or is that a reason to sign Holtby, and leave him exposed?
    Very similar to what Pittsburgh did before the Vegas expansion draft. Everyone though they'd trade Fleury since they had already won a cup with Murray and they were definitely gonna lose one of them in the expansion draft. Instead, they keep Fleury as insurance for the playoff run, which in the end proves crucial to them winning their next cup, and all along had a silent agreement with Fleury that he'd be going to Vegas after the season.
    The caps are in win-now mode. They've got ovie still producing 50 goal seasons, still have a great 1-2 punch at center, vrana coming along, Carlson better than ever. I can't see them relying on a sophomore goalie next year who had never handled a full workload. I think they find a way to sign holtby with both sides understanding that he'll be in Seattle the following season. From holtby's standpoint, he might look at how wellthat went for Fleury so he could be up for this idea. And the caps get another season to ease samsonov into the starter's job. Plus they don't have to worry about losing a different player in the expansion draft since holtby would definitely be the one chosen.
    Now I don't expect the Seattle situation to be anywhere near as good as the Vegas situation was, but still could be a nice situation to walk for holtby - instantly the face of the franchise which could rejuvenate his career like it did for fleury.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    Very similar to what Pittsburgh did before the Vegas expansion draft. Everyone though they'd trade Fleury since they had already won a cup with Murray and they were definitely gonna lose one of them in the expansion draft. Instead, they keep Fleury as insurance for the playoff run, which in the end proves crucial to them winning their next cup, and all along had a silent agreement with Fleury that he'd be going to Vegas after the season.
    The caps are in win-now mode. They've got ovie still producing 50 goal seasons, still have a great 1-2 punch at center, vrana coming along, Carlson better than ever. I can't see them relying on a sophomore goalie next year who had never handled a full workload. I think they find a way to sign holtby with both sides understanding that he'll be in Seattle the following season. From holtby's standpoint, he might look at how wellthat went for Fleury so he could be up for this idea. And the caps get another season to ease samsonov into the starter's job. Plus they don't have to worry about losing a different player in the expansion draft since holtby would definitely be the one chosen.
    Now I don't expect the Seattle situation to be anywhere near as good as the Vegas situation was, but still could be a nice situation to walk for holtby - instantly the face of the franchise which could rejuvenate his career like it did for fleury.
    Exactly. This is where my head is at. It gives them another year of grooming Samsonov to be the #1 guy down the road and still giving them a shot to win it all.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    Calgary. I mean, I hope he does. Still a great goalie and we haven't had one of them since Kipper!
    He's now a 31 year old mediocre goalie who has been declining over the past three seasons. Thankfully they don't have the cap space as this is just the kind of move I could see Treliving making.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcelly View Post
    Great point here. I think they let Holtby walk, and run with Samsonov. Expansion draft is the same reason I don't see a fit with Vancouver or Buffalo. They don't sign him just to expose him or their young goalie (Demko and Ullmark respectively).

Another team to throw out there that I could see as a possible fit would be San Jose.
    Teams I could see as a fit:

Chicago (let Crawford go UFA due to injury concerns)
    San Jose (although Jones' contract makes this tricky)
    Detroit (Howard's contract up now)
    Ottawa (Anderson's contract up as well)

I wouldn't underestimate the impact of the expansion draft, as team's will be more reluctant to cater to Seattle than they were with Vegas, and won't want to give away valuable assets. This will be a key factor in Vancouver's decision making with Markstrom this summer, as both he and Demko would need to be protected. The other interesting situation to me is Pittsburgh with Jarry and Murray. Will they set up Seattle in goal again like they did with Vegas?

The four teams above could have Holtby as their protected goalie while exposing someone that wouldn't be a huge loss.
    I'm not sure what would shock me more: if Ottawa wanted Holtby, or if Holtby wanted Ottawa. I really can't picture either. I see Ottawa as continuing with it's rebuild. Nilsson + Hogberg next year. There is your goalie tandem, locked up for 3.3 million combined.