Thread: Conditional Draft Picks for next season, what to do?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Conditional Draft Picks for next season, what to do?

So we have an interesting situation in my league.

Team "a" made a trade with team "b". A condition of the trade was if team "a" made finals of the leagues playoff.

We are an 8 team league. Playoffs are 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3. For 2 weeks , finals also a 2 week playoff.

The condition was that if team "A" made the playoff finals , the return compensation would be a 2nd round pick. Otherwise it was a 3rd round.

When the season was stopped, Team "A" which finished 2nd, was 1.7 pts ahead of Team "c" , the 3rd place team. (Very simple points system, G,A +\- Goalie wins.

When season was cancelled, we agreed that team "a" and team "D" (the first place team which had a sizeable lead) would be crowned co-champions.

The issue arises on the draft pick.

Whats your opinion, should it be a 2nd or a 3rd? Since we use a snake draft, there is a fairly large difference between picking 2nd in the 2nd round or 7th in the 3rd round.

Now, since this plays into this, today team "E", who also happens to be the person that decided that it would be a 2nd round pick because team "A" was a "co-champion", traded for that pick with the the team owning it.

Interested to hear ideas on both sides.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Conditional Draft Picks for next season, what to do?

I have two questions. First one is easy: Does capitalization mean anything - essentially are team "a" and team "A" the same team?

Secondly: Was team E was the sole decider that it would be a 2nd round pick, because they are commissioner, or were they something like the deciding vote?

Personally, I feel that if you name 2 teams co-champions, by default you are saying they are the two finalists and that there is no way to decide between them.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I have two questions. First one is easy: Does capitalization mean anything - essentially are team "a" and team "A" the same team?

Yep, same team sorry.

Secondly: Was team E was the sole decider that it would be a 2nd round pick, because they are commissioner, or were they something like the deciding vote?

Theres 2 guys, one was team E , and then another team, they sort of decide together.

Personally, I feel that if you name 2 teams co-champions, by default you are saying they are the two finalists and that there is no way to decide between them.
    The other team that is a co-finalist wasnt involded in either the trade or decision. A happy bystander so to speak.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Sorry, my point is that once you have co-champions they are, by definition, the final teams/persons between whom the championship is divided. Hence they are the finalists in a league where the two finalists meet for a title.

Additionally, this part is disingenous if there are two people deciding:

Now, since this plays into this, today team "E", who also happens to be the person that decided that it would be a 2nd round pick because team "A" was a "co-champion", traded for that pick with the the team owning it.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Unless I am misreading something, this seems simply to me. You made Team A a co-champion; thus, implying that they made the final, and therefore, the compensatory pick is a 2nd rounder.

I am also assuming that Team A earned money of out this, so really shouldn't have a reason to complain.

The Great One

Exactly how (or why) did Team E get to decide it was a 2nd rounder?

Dobber Sports Icon

Team A would definitely "have made the playoff finals" is they were crowned co-champion. This means that it should be a 2nd round pick. There's no question or debate about this.

Team E may have pulled off a shady deal if there is any reason to think that Team B was not aware that it was a 2nd round pick. However, I don't see any reason to think that Team B would not have thought it was a 2nd round pick if the condition was Team A making the league finals and Team A was clearly crowned a co-champion.

I would suggest asking Team B if they knew they were trading a 2nd round pick to Team E before the trade was made. If, for some reason, they did not know it was a 2nd round pick, then this trade should be rescinded. Team E cannot abuse his power of deciding what round pick was involved in a conditional trade to get a leg up on the other GMs in the league.