Thread: Nhl playoff pools

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Nhl playoff pools

Does anyone know or have any idea if the preliminary / seeding round statistics (goals, assists, wins, shutouts) will count as part of the total playoff statistics or if the NHL won’t count those early round statistics but just the standard 16 team, 4 rounds of playoff statistics?

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Nhl playoff pools

good question . I would hope everything was included even though the round robin tourney of the top 4 teams is only 3 games compared to the preliminary round which could see some go to 5 games .

Dobber Sports Guru

I am also hoping the play-in / round robin stuff counts, but I'm waiting on our pool hosts to decide.
    As for the 3 vs. 5 games mentioned by Butch--it's a good point, but not much different than some series going 7 while others are swept at 4. The byes are probably more significant (guaranteed 7-10 games vs. possible 3 for some other teams) -- but it all makes it interesting and adds strategy to the draft IMO.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Big Daddy

I was listening to Hockey Central from Sportsnet and they believe any stats accumulated from the play-in and seeding games won’t go towards neither the regular season or the playoffs. They will just be forgotten about.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I was listening to Hockey Central from Sportsnet and they believe any stats accumulated from the play-in and seeding games won’t go towards neither the regular season or the playoffs. They will just be forgotten about.
    I highly doubt the NHLPA will sign off on that. I am also shocked that the NHL has awarded the statistics based awards already without approval from the NHLPA. I thought the NHL and the NHLPA have to agree on what is going to happen to the stats from the play-in games. It's quite possible that the NHLPA will want these stats to count as regular season stats to help players make bonuses as well as to increase the players' negotiation power especially in arbitration.

Unless the NHLPA has agreed to something without that information being released, there's a good chance the NHL messed up announcing these award winners.

From an article on ESPN.com (https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...pa-donald-fehr)

ESPN: It seems like everybody has a different definition on whether these are playoff games. Does the PA consider these to be playoff teams? Was there any pushback from the players on stats in the qualification round not counting towards regular-season totals, since commissioner Gary Bettman said stats are now frozen as of the games played through March 11?

Fehr: First of all, let me stop you: We haven't decided where the statistics from the playoff round are going to go yet. It hasn't been done.

Dobber Sports Master

I wouldnt be surprised if fantrax sits this one out as a stat service for pools to regroup for next season .

maybe they dont want the headache of the uncertainty that the schedule could bring if nhl has to adjust it often