Thread: Took over a new team - Decent first grade?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Took over a new team - Decent first grade?

For league not in sig.

12 team dynasty, weekly h2h, daily starts 4LW/4C/4RW/1Skater/6D/2G, player cats G/A/ +/- /Shots/Hits/Blks/PPP/SH/FOW/PIMs, goalie cats W/S/SV%/SO/GAA

I just took over this team and made my first trade. This team will need to be rebuilt and it doesn’t have its 2020 1st or 2021 1st and this team finished in 3rd last this year....yikes. I know I am not providing my whole roster, but please evaluate this trade:

My Matt Murray

His Cirelli, Wahlstrom and Zamula

I know Murray is a decent goalie but not sure what his future holds. My remaining goalies are Bishop, Holtby, Francouz, Koskinen and Husso to name a few. This roster needs fixes everywhere and hopefully I didn’t make a new one.

Thoughts?

Will REP where I can. Thanks!
    12 team dynasty, weekly H2H, daily starts
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1UTL, 2G, 7 Bench - 23 player roster, unlimited farm system
    Cats - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHP, Hits, SOG, BS, W, GAA, S%, S and SO

C - Crosby, MacKinnion, Bergeron, Kopitar and Pageau
    LW - Marchand, Pacioretty, Nugent-Hopkins (C) and Vrana
    RW - Stone, Voracek, Duclair (LW), T. Wilson and Tanev (LW)
    D - Hedman, Doughty, Trouba, Weber and Giordano
    G - Holtby, Binnington, Quick and M. Koskinen
    Farm
    Highlights - Cernak, V. Soderstrom, T. Harley, V. Heinola, R. Andersson, C. Garland, C. Grundstrom, P. Kochetkov
    Picks - 2020 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Took over a new team - Decent first grade?

I'm not keen on making 3 for 1 deals. To deal an NHL starting goalie, even one who has had some lumps, I'd want at least one of the guys coming back to be a guy who does or looks like he'll be the guy who drives a line. Cirelli seems like he is a quality side piece who benefits substantially from the excellence of others around him. Wahlstrom is a prospect who has lost some luster. And Zamula is a teenager with multiple back surgeries.

There is a way for this trade to benefit you, especially if Murray has lost his way and Cirelli/Wahlstrom turn out. But long-term, you want to be the one getting the one player for the three.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I don't think it's a bad trade. I think you got ok value.
    Agree with some of what senryu said.
    Though I think Cirelli has a little more to offer then just the benefit of who he plays with.
    I think Wahlstrom has lost some luster, but he is only 19 yrs old(turns 20 in June) and believe he is still part of the Islanders future. Plus he could possibly still become a centre at the NHL lvl if his playmaker and passing improves more and that he shows that he can drive a line.

The Great One

Just took over the team, and then traded a goalie? I've seen new GMs do that a million times in fantasy hockey, and I can't remember a time that the new GM has gotten decent value in return. Perhaps you did, but my gut says no. Here are my questions for you:

1. How long were you in this league before making the trade?
    2. Did you study previous trades in this league involving a goalie?
    3. Did you let all teams know that Murray was on the block?
    4. Did you receive any other offers?
    5. Did the other GM target Murray to start, or were you targeting these prospects?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I like the deal a decent amount. Every single one of those guys I think projects as a starter in your lineup, and Cirelli is one right now.

You didn't create a new hole, but added some depth in a deep dynasty league, and you have more than adequate goaltending.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

I like the deal a lot !! Murray May or may not even be with the Penguins next year - or else he’s very likely to be gone to Seattle in ‘21-22. And I doubt he could beat Georgiev for a starting spot. Cirelli alone might not be worth the trade, but adding 2 young prospects for a rebuilding team?? Do it.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I like the deal a decent amount. Every single one of those guys I think projects as a starter in your lineup, and Cirelli is one right now.

You didn't create a new hole, but added some depth in a deep dynasty league, and you have more than adequate goaltending.
    Agree you got adequate goaltending, gained some good depth. Cirelli may really surprise.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks for the responses. REP’d where I could.

I understand all the sentiments...I wasn’t crazy about moving Murray, but I feel he might always be in a 1A/B situation, and I don’t know if he’s an A or a B. Cirelli was my main target, he fills out all the cats and is still on the rise I believe. I would love to be in the position to be the one trading 3 for 1 but I need help everywhere and stockpiling young talent is the path I need to be on right now. I also think Wahlstrom has a lot to offer and being 19, that upside is still there. We will just need to wait and see.
    12 team dynasty, weekly H2H, daily starts
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1UTL, 2G, 7 Bench - 23 player roster, unlimited farm system
    Cats - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHP, Hits, SOG, BS, W, GAA, S%, S and SO

C - Crosby, MacKinnion, Bergeron, Kopitar and Pageau
    LW - Marchand, Pacioretty, Nugent-Hopkins (C) and Vrana
    RW - Stone, Voracek, Duclair (LW), T. Wilson and Tanev (LW)
    D - Hedman, Doughty, Trouba, Weber and Giordano
    G - Holtby, Binnington, Quick and M. Koskinen
    Farm
    Highlights - Cernak, V. Soderstrom, T. Harley, V. Heinola, R. Andersson, C. Garland, C. Grundstrom, P. Kochetkov
    Picks - 2020 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th