Thread: Handling Last Season

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Handling Last Season

Hey folks,
    Not sure where the best place to put this was but, how have you all dealt with ending your regular season pools?

We are a 2nd place gets money back, 1st place gets everything else league.

We sent a note stating that the season is over and the standings are as is, but obviously the 2nd place player had some thoughts. Was roughly 21 pts behind.

I'm looking for some ideas as to how to deal with it.
    Looking at games played per team doesn't seem like a valuable option as there are injuries etc...

Any thoughts would be fantastic
    Salary Cap League:
    13 Team, G, A,+/-, W-2, OTL,SO-3
    30 max, 21 weekly active roster (12F, 7D, 2G)
    Note: Our league is 1 year behind in terms of available players and salary. Salary doesn't change for length of Pool contract.

Team:
    F-Trochek, Necas, J.T.Miller,McCann,Terry,Engvall, Zibanajed,mikhehev,GourdeHagel, Petterson,skinner
    D-
    Lindgren,Barrie,Forsling,.Morrisey,Aho,Ekblad,fabe r
    G-
    ,ulnarkSherstkin, Ned

(*) = Multi year deal

The Great One

Default Re: Handling Last Season

Quote Originally Posted by NatureX View Post
    Hey folks,
    Not sure where the best place to put this was but, how have you all dealt with ending your regular season pools?

We are a 2nd place gets money back, 1st place gets everything else league.

We sent a note stating that the season is over and the standings are as is, but obviously the 2nd place player had some thoughts. Was roughly 21 pts behind.

I'm looking for some ideas as to how to deal with it.
    Looking at games played per team doesn't seem like a valuable option as there are injuries etc...

Any thoughts would be fantastic
    Perhaps float some ideas within your league, and see where there is the most support?
    Three potential options:

(1) Season is cancelled, no payouts this year.
    (2) Season is completed, payout based on final standings.
    (3) Modified payouts for 2019-20. (i.e, something like 60% to 1st place, 30% to 2nd place, 10% to 3rd place) - propose a formula that takes into account the league standings and likelihood of victory.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Perhaps float some ideas within your league, and see where there is the most support?
    Three potential options:

(1) Season is cancelled, no payouts this year.
    (2) Season is completed, payout based on final standings.
    (3) Modified payouts for 2019-20. (i.e, something like 60% to 1st place, 30% to 2nd place, 10% to 3rd place) - propose a formula that takes into account the league standings and likelihood of victory.

Great points.....thank you

Ive been trying to come up with data models to predict the winner, but injuries and so many variables intefere with a fair outcome
    Salary Cap League:
    13 Team, G, A,+/-, W-2, OTL,SO-3
    30 max, 21 weekly active roster (12F, 7D, 2G)
    Note: Our league is 1 year behind in terms of available players and salary. Salary doesn't change for length of Pool contract.

Team:
    F-Trochek, Necas, J.T.Miller,McCann,Terry,Engvall, Zibanajed,mikhehev,GourdeHagel, Petterson,skinner
    D-
    Lindgren,Barrie,Forsling,.Morrisey,Aho,Ekblad,fabe r
    G-
    ,ulnarkSherstkin, Ned

(*) = Multi year deal

Dobber Sports Superstar

First of all realize that no one saw this coming, there was no way to predict it, there was no need to have a global pandemic clause in your league rules. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a jackass.

That being said, some 85%ish of the season was completed and given you have a year long league it should be possible to extrapolate reasonably likely results for the whole league.

If you have no GP limit I would multiple each player's points per game x games remaining to estimate a total. If a guy was confirmed done for the year he gets 0GP otherwise he gets full GP. Yes there would have been injuries but how serious and to whom we cannot know so simple straight math is the fairest in my mind.

If you have a GP limit it gets trickier, I would let each team maximize their GP limit to their highest scorers at said position.

i.e. if a team has 30 Centre games left, they get 11GP x C1, 11GP x C2, 8GP x C3 --> this should not be that hard in excel.

Post the results and pay-out the amounts as you normally would.

I would expect with a 21 point lead 1st place should still have a decent cushion to win by, unless 1st place was way over in GP.

I would also post the proposed calculation before running it. Thus avoiding results based complaints

Ultimately somebody is going to feel "slighted" hopefully the guy who comes 2nd or 3rd will realize the approach executed was fair, and then he can spend entirety thinking about what could have been alongside 1994 Expos Fans
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Recruit

Hi guys,

We have a H2H dynasty league with Yahoo and I'd thought I would share what we have done, as the guys seem pretty happy about our solution. We had a problem with the guys who were buyers at the deadline and gave up lots of picks and prospects at the deadline, while finding compensation that didn't hurt the sellers. No one just wanted their money back.

What we will do is defer our 2019-20 playoffs to week 2 of the 2020-21 season. Our regular keeper league will go ahead as usual without any compensation to buyers or sellers, but we will create a 2nd Yahoo league just for the 8 playoff teams. We will manually fill the rosters to how they were when the teams were locked out in 2019-20. Players from the non-playoff teams will also be locked out and not available. Only players who played at least one game in 2019-20 can be picked up off the waiver wire. If yahoo does not allow us to manually set the matchups, we will use excel or google sheets to manually determine the results of set matchups. The final will be two weeks long.

16 team H2H keeper league (1 goalie + 9 skaters)

C, C, C, C, LW, LW, LW, LW, RW, RW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+, IR+, NA
    Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: Goals (G), Assists (A), Points (P), Plus/Minus (+/-), Penalty Minutes (PIM), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT)
    Goaltenders Stat Categories:

C: MacKinnon, Tavares, Kuznetsov, Getzlaf
    LW: Stamkos, Marchessault, Benn, JVR
    RW: Svechnikov, Kessel, Zucker, Schenn
    D: Karlsson, Burns, Carlson, Hedman, Theodore, Gardiner
    G: Rask, Price, Korpisalo, Halak
    BN: Niederreiter, Dvorak, Cozens
    NA: Puljujarvi
    Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Save Percentage (SV%), Shutouts (SHO)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by NatureX View Post
    Great points.....thank you

Ive been trying to come up with data models to predict the winner, but injuries and so many variables intefere with a fair outcome
    You say the difference between 1st and 2nd was 21pts. That could be 22 points to 1 point. Or it could be 100,021 points to 100,001 points. If I were crafting something, I'd have the spread in the payouts be roughly similar to the spread in the standings. (If 1st place was winning by a mile, their payout should be a mile. If it was neck and neck with 2nd, it should be roughly equal). Anyways, that's what I was trying to propose. I just picked random numbers because 21 points really doesn't tell me anything regarding how close (or not) 2nd place was to 1st place.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

This is what we did in both of my leagues.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tanassee View Post
    Hi guys,
    What we will do is defer our 2019-20 playoffs to week 2 of the 2020-21 season. Our regular keeper league will go ahead as usual without any compensation to buyers or sellers, but we will create a 2nd Yahoo league just for the 8 playoff teams. We will manually fill the rosters to how they were when the teams were locked out in 2019-20. Players from the non-playoff teams will also be locked out and not available. Only players who played at least one game in 2019-20 can be picked up off the waiver wire. If yahoo does not allow us to manually set the matchups, we will use excel or google sheets to manually determine the results of set matchups. The final will be two weeks long.

My league in my sig is doing something similar, but randomly determining what weeks of this season will count for each NHL team for each week of the playoffs. Each NHL team will be assigned a random league week for each week of the playoffs. The advnatage of that over a deferral is that we get a result done and don't have to look forward. Since this league already is calculated using Excel (yes, I"m serious) that won't be an issue.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.