Thread: Couple Keeper Trades: How'd I Do?

Dobber Sports Pro

Exclamation Couple Keeper Trades: How'd I Do?

For the top team in my sig, today I turned some of my draft capital into a couple improved keepers. Quite happy with my core now. Earlier today I traded a 1st rounder for Laine & a 13th rounder (thanks Dobberites for pushing me to keep at it until I got Laine).

Just now I traded away RNH & a 2nd to get Guentzel & a 4th. Isn't a massive upgrade in my opinion, but now to be happy with all 6 keepers I figured I'd go for it. What are your thoughts on the second trade? Today my last couple keepers went from RNH & Forsberg to Laine & Guentzel.

Overall I'm glad almost all of my keepers are wingers, and it's easier to get center and goalie talent in our drafts, and defence are so hit and miss from year to year when it comes to points. Used to use half my keepers for D, but have given up on that now.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Couple Keeper Trades: How'd I Do?

Ya I would agree, not a massive upgrade on the second one. Fairly lateral move with RNH for Guentzel. Guentzel younger, but RNH may very well outpoint him next year, especially if he keeps playing with Draisaitl, and he will for sure be on that lethal powerplay.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcelly View Post
    Ya I would agree, not a massive upgrade on the second one. Fairly lateral move with RNH for Guentzel. Guentzel younger, but RNH may very well outpoint him next year, especially if he keeps playing with Draisaitl, and he will for sure be on that lethal powerplay.
    That's the exact bargaining chip I was able to use to send RNH back the other way and only cost me a couple rounds, haha. RNH really upped his value over this past season. Not a giant difference either way, but I'm pretty happy with a core that has Guentzel as its weakest member.
    G - Skinner

F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree with this. Not sure I would have been willing to drop two rounds to change the two players but that's me. Not a bad trade today because IMO there's not much difference between the two skaters. The truth will come out after the picks are made.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Unexpected trade to update on, haha. Just traded Guentzel & a 3rd for Aho & a 5th. What do you guys think of that?
    G - Skinner

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Both are point per game players in the last two season, I like Aho a tiny bit more since I think he's the one driving his line and a little more upside. It depends on the drafted players now

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Rection View Post
    Both are point per game players in the last two season, I like Aho a tiny bit more since I think he's the one driving his line and a little more upside. It depends on the drafted players now
    For sure. I like them both, but the cost wasn't bad and I figure Aho is 3 years younger and likely not at his peak yet. Also seems to be more of the driver than the passenger, as opposed to Guentzel, who is blessed to be beside the amazing but aging Malkin or Crosby.
    G - Skinner

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I dont think age or peak should be a factor when we speak about 25 and 22 yr old guys But you are right about the driver/passenger.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm not sure that we know Guentzel is truly a passenger, as the penguins center depth has gone future HOF, future HOF, mediocrity, dreck as far as driving offense for so long, it's hard to tell.

I think you got a guy now with no possible health issues, so that's good.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

We absolute should be speaking about peak, but rather than age, games played is a better indicator of whether a player has peaked or not. Aho actually has significantly more gp at 310 vs 240 for guentzel. So would be more likely that we have seen ahos peak which looks to be a point per game (nothing to sneeze at). But I’d rather get point per game from a winger than center just because of scarcity. Not sure it’s worth the two round downgrade.

Dobber Sports Pro

We absolute should be speaking about peak, but rather than age, games played is a better indicator of whether a player has peaked or not. Aho actually has significantly more gp at 310 vs 240 for guentzel. So would be more likely that we have seen ahos peak which looks to be a point per game (nothing to sneeze at). But I’d rather get point per game from a winger than center just because of scarcity. Not sure it’s worth the two round downgrade.
    Thanks for that neat idea regarding GP vs. Age. Hadn't thought of that before. I'll check that out more in the future! To be honest I also use Dobber's Keeper rankings quite a bit too, and Guentzel is #47 vs Aho at #23.
    G - Skinner