Thread: Keeper League - What to do with traded draft picks?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Keeper League - What to do with traded draft picks?

Hey everyone,

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section but I'm looking for advice on what keeper leagues have done in regards to traded draft picks for next season.

For example, playoff teams trying to win the championship this year, and as a result traded future draft picks and now screwed for next years draft.

In our league it has been agreed that the 6 playoff teams will split the pot 6 ways. All 6 teams traded at least 1 pick to make a run. Some traded 3 or 4.

Our 12 managers have thrown out a few ideas but we seem to be stuck on what to do.

Thanks for the responses ahead of time.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Keeper League - What to do with traded draft picks?

I know this wasn't in anyone's head when the season started, but I think it's just the cost of doing business. Unless conditions were put on those trades, my opinion is nothing changes. My pool, there were dozens of trades made up to the point where the season was postponed. We all agreed that nothing would change with regards to deals made previously. Including draft picks.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Pro

Agreed - I'd just leave it as is. I got burned a bit by this too and I'm commish, but I'm not going to make anyone do a "trade-backsies." Plus long term anything that hurts the top teams a little and helps the bottom teams a little is actually probably good for the league!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Prodigy

You go forward as it is.
    It sucks, but nobody could have predicted it. It should absolutely not affect past trades, I would be pissed if the commish would do that in one of my leagues.

If I trade a 1st rounder for X player and that player get injured for the rest of season the day after the trade, the trade would still stand. The result is kinda the same here...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by sportsmaster4vr View Post
    Hey everyone,

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section but I'm looking for advice on what keeper leagues have done in regards to traded draft picks for next season.

For example, playoff teams trying to win the championship this year, and as a result traded future draft picks and now screwed for next years draft.

In our league it has been agreed that the 6 playoff teams will split the pot 6 ways. All 6 teams traded at least 1 pick to make a run. Some traded 3 or 4.

Our 12 managers have thrown out a few ideas but we seem to be stuck on what to do.

Thanks for the responses ahead of time.
    Those playoff teams that spent picks were rewarded with an equal piece of the payout prize! That’s a win over the non playoff teams. No need to make it more complicated than that.

The Great One

Yeah, as soon as a playoff team voted to receive money, they forfeited whatever "right" they had to traded draft picks.

I could see an argument for calling a mulligan on the entire year. IE - undo all trades, and making no payouts.

But as soon as there is an agreement to make payouts, you've decide the year counts. So the trades counts.

Where's the controversy? It really couldn't be any more simple.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm commish for league in sig and we all agreed to the following:

Any trades invloving draft picks made during the 19/20 season were not undone or returned to their original owner, but owners who traded picks have been given compensatory picks at the end of the round in question. Similar to the NFL compensatory pick system for FAs, some rounds will now have an extra pick or two. These compensatory picks cannot be traded so the asset is somewhat limited in that way; nor are any compensatory 1st rounders eligible for the lottery.

Yes, some are getting a chunk of the payout (split evenly between remaining 4 teams) and compensatory picks, but nobody in our league plays for the money; they play for the glory of the league title. They made trades to "go for it" this year but never got the chance to actually go for it. It didn't feel right to have a team mortgage the future to go all in, never get the chance to see it through, and be left to pick up the pieces without compensation.

Important to stress that our compensatory picks only applied to pick trades made during the 19/20 fantasy season (ie. after our 19/20 draft). GMs aren't npw getting 2020/21 picks back they traded 3 years ago to "go for it" in 2017. For sure this system overcompensates some and the opposite for others but all 10 GMs recognized there was no perfect solution and were in favor of the proposal. No right way to do it but this worked for us.
    10 Team, weekly H2H one-win league. Keep 15, any position. 26 man roster.

Skaters: G, A, PPP, SHG, GWG,+/-, Shots, Hits.
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SO.

Start: 4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 2G.

C: McDavid, Mackinnon, Lindholm
    LW:
    A. Svechnikov, Stamkos, Forsberg, Stutzle
    RW: Kempe
    D: Dahlin, Ekblad, Seider, Bouchard,
    ​Sergachev/Chychrun

G: Shesterkin, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The trades count because they players produced value for them, so unless you are going to undo the entire year and have everyone tie at 0-0, traded picks stay traded.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Those playoff teams that spent picks were rewarded with an equal piece of the payout prize! That’s a win over the non playoff teams. No need to make it more complicated than that.
    +1 on this. Teams in the playoffs are getting paid out. So what that it's not 1st place money. It's just as likely for several of those teams that they would have traded their picks and lost in the playoffs, and their payment would be zero.

Dobber Sports Newbie

I posted a topic about this with regards to my 16-team keeper league and received similar responses.

I ended up hosting a zoom meeting with the owners and we voted on the prize payout - We ended up splitting the $1600 pot evenly between the remaining 8 teams. It was also voted on that our league continue through to 2020-21, all trades & draft pick trades from 2019-20 counted. No compensation for the teams that went for it. WE also decided that there will be no champion for the 2019-20 season.

It definitely sucks for the teams that tanked last year to have a shot at it this year and than never had a chance to make a run. But we have always been a league that votes on different topics, and the majority felt that this was the correct way to go.
    Kenora Fantasy Hockey League Commissioner | 2013 Golden Cup Champion

16 Teams - YAHOO H2H - Keeper League Year 1 of 3 - G A P PIM PPP SOG HIT W S% SHO

Dobber Sports Wizard

its a crappy situation we dealing with, nobody could see it and we need to take it as it comes. If you try to fix this, you will brake it even further. There is no perfect answer, i would just leave as in this case cure would be worst than the disease.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones