Thread: Moving on with a Keeper League.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Moving on with a Keeper League.

First of all, my apologies if I posted this in the wrong discussion category. Please move if I did so.

I am the commissioner of a head-to-head 16 team keeper league. We were down to 8 teams almost done the first round when Covid shit the NHL down.

My question to you all is, how are other keeper leagues moving on with the NHL's news today. This is our first year of a three year keeper league, so I am considering starting "Year 1" over, only problem with that is this year's draft positions were decided from trades and results of the 2018-19 season.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Kenora Fantasy Hockey League Commissioner | 2013 Golden Cup Champion

16 Teams - YAHOO H2H - Keeper League Year 1 of 3 - G A P PIM PPP SOG HIT W S% SHO

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Moving on with a Keeper League.

I'd keep it going and count this year. Prizes by points or record or something?
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    It is a $1000 in prize money ... Payout based on where they finished in the regular season and all trades, etc count?

Interesting.

16 Teams - YAHOO H2H - Keeper League Year 1 of 3 - G A P PIM PPP SOG HIT W S% SHO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    Yah I agree. Just have to roll with the punches and keep going. That's what my leagues have done. Another option is to carry over the prize pool until next year. You could also split the pot between all the teams that are left. But for sure dont just restart and scrap the year

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dirtykorbz View Post
    It is a $1000 in prize money ... Payout based on where they finished in the regular season and all trades, etc count?

Interesting.
    Things like Draft picks and keepers are easy compare to money.

I'm in two leagues, both are dynasty, neither has prizes.

One was done regular season, and and no playoffs have started. Unsure what the commissioner will do, but it's likely it's simply over.

The other is the league in my sig, and it's going to have a VERY complicated conclusion. We're partway through the playoffs, and series are (of course) tied. We have 1 game of record per NHL team per week, and the commissioner's plan is to use old weeks to generate results: " It involves picking a random previously played week 1-23 (not all-star week) for each NHL team for each playoff game (no repeats means that the same week cannot be picked more than once for an NHL team)." So we'll have some sort of a matrix cross referencing each NHL team with the league weeks. I think we're not going to use the same week for every team that playoff game, to have an extra level of randomness.

Possible solutions to this are:
    One idea is that each of us would have a grid of random numbers. We would exchange them and add the two numbers mod 1. Those sums (mod 1) would determine which week for each team. 31 teams and 22 weeks (1-23 without all-star week) means 9 weeks would be used by two teams. That would be another exchange of random numbers to choose the 9 weeks used twice in week 24 (add 1 to choose the 9 used twice in 25, and so on).

Another idea is that you'd just have a spreadsheet which would spit out a week for each NHL team for the weeks in question. Basically Teams down the left, weeks across the top, and each cell is a random determination function from 1-22 to give you the week.

I have no idea if this helps you, but it's got to be close to the most involved solution anyone is doing. So don't go beyond this level of effort.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yeah it's really just a matter of finding the best way to divvy up the money.

I'm in the same situation and it's being split among teams that made the playoffs, with those that had a bye week getting a little extra.

If I was a top team, I would call BS if someone wanted to cancel what happened.

Re: Draft positions, I'm not sure how you would have handled it regularly, but I would suggest some kind of weighted lottery for playoff teams and a separate one for non-playoff teams with the teams that got extra money in a bye getting less favorable odds.

Dobber Sports Recruit

We are in the 1st year of a 5 year keeper league with 10 owners. Our playoffs got down to the final 4 and only got a few days into the 2 week playoff match up. So the top 4 will split the prize money 25% each. Draft order next year is 10th place 1st, 9th 2nd, 3-6 random, 7-10 random. As well we give points for where you finish and most points at the end of the 5 years gets an additional prize. For that we are doing 10th 1 point, 9th 2 points, 3-6th 4.5 points, 7-10th 8.5 points.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by PureMorning View Post
    We are in the 1st year of a 5 year keeper league with 10 owners. Our playoffs got down to the final 4 and only got a few days into the 2 week playoff match up. So the top 4 will split the prize money 25% each. Draft order next year is 10th place 1st, 9th 2nd, 3-6 random, 7-10 random. As well we give points for where you finish and most points at the end of the 5 years gets an additional prize. For that we are doing 10th 1 point, 9th 2 points, 3-6th 4.5 points, 7-10th 8.5 points.
    So you will be keeping players from this season for Year 2?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by dirtykorbz View Post
    So you will be keeping players from this season for Year 2?
    Yup, 15 keepers per team.