Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pick 1 from this list of 3

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Pick 1 from this list of 3

In a points only keeper league with no salary cap I need to take on 1 player to make a trade happen, who would you take
    Phil Kessel
    Brandon Saad
    Mikael Backlund

At first I was leaning toward Kessel in hoping he would rebound after last season but now I'm starting to lean toward Backlund. The only thing i see with Saad is that he is younger and is in the last year of his contract so he may have a bump in his Point totals. What do you think

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Pick 1 from this list of 3

Ugh, none of them are true barn burners. I'd probably still gamble on Kessel and hope he can find his way. No way he can stay as bad as he was this past year. The other two are more consistent and should be in the 50-55pt range most years. Phil should be able to outdo that for a few more years.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

It would be a no brainer to select Kessel between those 3. The other ones have been 50-55 pts players for years. If you had to get Backlund, that was this season before his good stretch. Now it's too late he'll get back to reality so don't overpay for him. He's always been a streaky player. Kessel upside is way higher. If you miss the two other ones will not be better anyway.

The Great One

Hard to say without knowing your cap situation and objection. Saad is one year left at 6 million. Kessel is 2 years left at 8 million.

If I'm trying to win this year, I bite the bullet and gamble on Kessel's upside.

If I'm really tight on the cap, or am not a strong contender, I probably go Saad just to get him off the books after 1 year.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Hard to say without knowing your cap situation and objection. Saad is one year left at 6 million. Kessel is 2 years left at 8 million.

If I'm trying to win this year, I bite the bullet and gamble on Kessel's upside.

If I'm really tight on the cap, or am not a strong contender, I probably go Saad just to get him off the books after 1 year.
    No salary cap from the OP.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Kessel then Backlund for me.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    No salary cap from the OP.
    Thanks. I read "salary cap"; I blame covid haha. No salaries, I probably go Kessel. Although the same logic almost applies, because Kessel could still be burning a valuable roster spot for an extra year. If there are no implications for holding a scrub, then Kessel. But if the roster spot has value, I might look elsewhere.

I honestly could see backlund outplaying kessel points wise next season. Kessel is in decline, and with that tubby body of his it will be a sharp one. Backlund was looking real good at the end of the year and will have tkachuk on his wing next year again. Backlund is my vote.

Administrator

Kessel for me. He's aging and more of a risk at this point. He also has the most upside by far should he get back on track. Backlund and Saad aren't really threats to break out beyond their current production.

It's also worth noting Kessel had improved slightly since the end of December.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon23 View Post
    I honestly could see backlund outplaying kessel points wise next season. Kessel is in decline, and with that tubby body of his it will be a sharp one. Backlund was looking real good at the end of the year and will have tkachuk on his wing next year again. Backlund is my vote.
    Kessel hasn't missed a game to injury since 2009. Don't buy the media hype about him being so badly out of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Kessel hasn't missed a game to injury since 2009. Don't buy the media hype about him being so badly out of shape.
    It's not injury I'm worried about. If he plays 82 games and gets 50-55 points, then that is out of shape enough for me. I see backlund in the 55-60 range next year. Close for sure. But I have zero faith in a Kessel rebound

Administrator

It's not injury I'm worried about. If he plays 82 games and gets 50-55 points, then that is out of shape enough for me. I see backlund in the 55-60 range next year. Close for sure. But I have zero faith in a Kessel rebound
    Kessel has been insanely durable and has had great playoff runs. He can handle playing every night just fine. He dropped in production because he had trouble fitting in on a new team and because players tend to decline at age 32. He's not the first player in the world to go through this. It's just silly to point to poor conditioning when there's no evidence to back it up.

Kessel has been insanely durable and has had great playoff runs. He can handle playing every night just fine. He dropped in production because he had trouble fitting in on a new team and because players tend to decline at age 32. He's not the first player in the world to go through this. It's just silly to point to poor conditioning when there's no evidence to back it up.
    Well I mean the guy has gone on record before saying he only skated like 10 times during his offseason "training" so it's not totally unsubstantiated to call his conditioning into question.

Administrator

Well I mean the guy has gone on record before saying he only skated like 10 times during his offseason "training" so it's not totally unsubstantiated to call his conditioning into question.
    You can look at it that way if you want. I prefer to look at the results and draw conclusions from that. Agree to disagree.

You can look at it that way if you want. I prefer to look at the results and draw conclusions from that. Agree to disagree.
    Fair enough. But going into an age 33 year coming off 38 points, even if just in 70 games, has to be worrisome. He had a great career, but it ain't getting better from here. Honestly in the end all 3 will probably disappoint.