Thread: Laine vs. Forsberg in Points Only - Worth a Pick Downgrade?

Dobber Sports Pro

Question Laine vs. Forsberg in Points Only - Worth a Pick Downgrade?

For the top team in my sig, I have a chance to get Laine for a decent price. Not sure exactly yet, but probably a high 2nd or maybe a mid first. Would be taking back a lower pick as well (5th or . What do you guys see Laine being over the next few years? Is he going to turn into a PPG player, or will be always be stuck around 60 or 70 points? I don't want to trade away a high pick to my main competition in the league for a 65 point winger. But he still seems to have some seriously elite talent, so is this the time to buy him? Help me decide if I should go after him, or just keep Forsberg in my final keeper slot. I would likely have to throw Forsberg back to the draft if I traded for Laine, as the other guy has more keepers than spots open. Thanks!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Laine vs. Forsberg in Points Only - Worth a Pick Downgrade?

I don’t ever see Laine being a ppg player. Prob ceiling around the 70-75 point range with prob like a 40-30 split or so. He doesn’t seem like the type to drive the play to really make him elite

Dobber Sports Stud

I’ll take the opposite side of that argument - Laine took a short term deal and will need to prove his worth over the next 2 years for his own benefit. He may never win the Rocket Richard, like was projected in the past, but his upper range of value gets better when (not if) Blake Wheeler is a year older.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would remind you of the breakthrough threshold for "exceptionally sized" players, of which Laine definitely fits that category towering at 6'5". "Normal sized" players breakthrough threshold is 300 games, but for Laine's category it is 400 games, which Laine has yet to reach, having logged 305 games to date. Based on this, the best is yet to come for Patrik.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I am definitely making that trade!! Laine just turned 22 a month ago.. Laine will be a point a game player.. Guaranteed!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Pro

Offer is: Laine & a 13th rounder for my 1st (7th overall). Would drop Forsberg as a keeper to make room. Worth it? Or should I make a push to another GM to get Kyle Connor for probably a bit cheaper, like a 2nd? Or do both options and drop RNH as a keeper too?
    G - Skinner

F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Svbetts View Post
    Offer is: Laine & a 9th rounder for my 1st (7th overall). Would drop Forsberg as a keeper to make room. Worth it? Or should I make a push to another GM to get Kyle Connor for probably a bit cheaper, like a 2nd? Or do both options and drop RNH as a keeper too?
    Give me Connor and Laine over RNH and Forsberg..

I would move 7th overall for Laine in a 12 team points only league!! Laine is going to be a stud if he isn't already!!

Trade RNH and Forsberg if you can replace them with those two young studs!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Give me Connor and Laine over RNH and Forsberg..

I would move 7th overall for Laine in a 12 team points only league!! Laine is going to be a stud if he isn't already!!

Trade RNH and Forsberg if you can replace them with those two young studs!!
    Sounds good - looking into it. I also have 1st overall, so may very well be able to grab Kyle Connor with that pick and not have to trade a pick upgrade to my #1 competition. Connor vs. Laine, who would you rather have as a keeper in a points only?

There are also usually some steals of deals to be had shortly before the draft, when guys have to finalize their keepers and realize who they will have to throw back.
    G - Skinner

Dobber Sports Padawan

Sounds good - looking into it. I also have 1st overall, so may very well be able to grab Kyle Connor with that pick and not have to trade a pick upgrade to my #1 competition. Connor vs. Laine, who would you rather have as a keeper in a points only?

There are also usually some steals of deals to be had shortly before the draft, when guys have to finalize their keepers and realize who they will have to throw back.
    Without Hits/Blocks as a category, it makes it even closer in my opinion. In points only, i see Laine having higher upside, although Connor could very well out point Laine in some seasons, depending on deployment. I think because of Laine’s name he will be more expensive to acquire, so I’d typically recommend trading for the player that costs you less.

if you think Connor will be in the draft, I assume his owner is not keeping him? Any way you can make the trade for Laine that is discussed above, and trade RNH + one of your good picks for Connor?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Offer is: Laine & a 9th rounder for my 1st (7th overall). Would drop Forsberg as a keeper to make room. Worth it? Or should I make a push to another GM to get Kyle Connor for probably a bit cheaper, like a 2nd? Or do both options and drop RNH as a keeper too?
    Connor:
    Being "normal sized", has already crossed the breakout threshold of 200 games, so we have likely seen his peak production (which is very good by the way).

Laine:
    Will cross the 400 game threshold for big guys this season. Based on a 25% increase from last season that projects to around 90 points.

Another consideration, you may not want to have 2 guys from the same team playing the same position (to maximize games played). Hope you mashed the accept button on this deal! Forsberg's peak is established, and his production has been even less under new coach Hynes's system.

Dobber Sports Pro

UPDATE: After it looked like this was dead for a few days, I just got an offer for Laine, Klingberg, a 10th & a 13th for the top 2nd (13th overall) and top 3rd (25th overall). I would have just thrown Klingberg back into the pool, so I countered with Laine & a 13th for my lowest 1st (7th overall). He accepted - done deal! Now I get to have Laine as a keeper instead of Forsberg - pretty happy with that. I have so many high picks this year (almost the whole second round) that I felt I could afford to lose one high pick.

What do you guys think?
    G - Skinner

Dobber Sports Padawan

UPDATE: After it looked like this was dead for a few days, I just got an offer for Laine, Klingberg, a 10th & a 13th for the top 2nd (13th overall) and top 3rd (25th overall). I would have just thrown Klingberg back into the pool, so I countered with Laine & a 13th for my lowest 1st (7th overall). He accepted - done deal! Now I get to have Laine as a keeper instead of Forsberg - pretty happy with that. I have so many high picks this year (almost the whole second round) that I felt I could afford to lose one high pick.

What do you guys think?

I like that upgrade for you 👌🏼

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by zambronies View Post
    I like that upgrade for you 
    Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. Seems so talented that I'm expecting he'll keep growing. Plus there will be no one that good in the first round for me to choose.
    G - Skinner