Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Relaunch is UP!

I...am your father.

Default Relaunch is UP!

There it is, gang!
    DobberHockey.com is now relaunched. Enjoy! I think you'll like it

The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Relaunch is UP!

Looks good Dobber!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

Maybe I am missing it, but is there a spot where we can comment on the posts?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Wolverine

Thanks, it does look better.

Of course, I do have some constructive feedback to share.

Initial comments relate to viewing it from my personal laptop.

Menu bar
    That is no longer showing, rather have to click the three horizontal line button at the top right to show the menu options. Can you put the menu options permanently across the top again? EDIT: see update below, shows correctly on my work laptop. Not sure why there is a difference.

Blank space
    I find there is a lot of unnecessary blank space in between components/sections, whether it's between the articles or below 'upcoming games' on the right hand side. EDIT: see update below, looks better on my work laptop. Not sure why there is a difference. EDIT2: On personal laptop the extra space might be linked to either the components on the right hand side or the ad below the second pair or articles.

Article snippets
    I've mentioned this before but I don't see the point of adding the start of the article as a snippet on the home page. I know you said you need to 'reel me in' but if the title doesn't grab my attention then I don't expect the snippet will either. All this does is create more scrolling.

But if you insist on keeping text there, then instead of showing the start of the article, why don't you add a description that expands on the title? That would be a better way to get readers' attention IMO.

More scrolling
    With the extra space and the snippet text, there's more unnecessary scrolling down the page.

Links into article
    I've also mentioned this before but there are three (!) links to click into the article: 1) on the photo, with the (unnecessary) slide in graphic; 2) the title; and 3) 'read more'. That's overkill. If you want to be able to click on the photo as a hyperlink, that's fine, along with the title. No need to go beyond that. The slide in graphic provides no value, and the 'read more' is unnecessary.

Article photo
    When you click into the article the photo is massive! Really don't see the point of that other than just adding more space. How many people will need that photo to be that huge, as we are just wanting to read the article. I wonder how that will look on mobile... Update checking kindle - the photo is bigger than my screen! Way too big.

Added info down right side
    I like the addition. Useful snapshots of key information and links to source material.

Load new posts
    Although I would prefer a proper end point on a web page, I appreciate that you removed the automatic load and allowed the user the choice.

An idea for those who don't want to load more: how about adding a link that takes you to the archive as well? You could have two buttons, one saying 'Load More Posts' and the other saying 'Go to Column Archive' or something. I know the options are there at the top, but you have to scroll back up to find it. Unless...

Freeze top menu/bar
    When you start scrolling down, the top (black) bar doesn't stay there. I think having the top bar frozen and an additional link at the bottom of the page that refers to the archive could get more people reading older articles. Especially new users who may not go through the top menu thoroughly at first, and it's currently not visible. EDIT: see update below, it does freeze on my work laptop, so not sure why there is a difference.

Overall
    At a first glance it's an improvement, and appreciate all the work going into it. A few tweaks and it could be even better. Thanks.

If I have any additional feedback (checking on my kindle, for example), I'll add them here. Of course.

UPDATE:

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post

Menu bar
    That is no longer showing, rather have to click the three horizontal line button at the top right to show the menu options. Can you put the menu options permanently across the top again?

Blank space
    I find there is a lot of unnecessary blank space in between components/sections, whether it's between the articles or below 'upcoming games' on the right hand side.

Freeze top menu/bar
    Just checked on my work laptop and the menu bar does show and it's frozen, which is good. A suggestion - you might want to freeze the other Dobber sites at the top as well so they are more visible? Or put them in the top (black) bar so it automatically freezes? Just an idea.

The spaces in between components is better on my work laptop as well.

Not sure why it looks different on my personal laptop.

UPDATE 2 (kindle):

It doesn't load properly on my kindle. The components that should be down the right hand side (with the exception of 'Find Us on Facebook') appear below the third/fourth articles in the main area. Then the next articles appear below them.

Menu bar
    That is no longer showing, rather have to click the three horizontal line button at the top right to show the menu options. Can you put the menu options permanently across the top again?
    This is the same on my kindle. The top bar doesn't freeze either.
    Last edited by horrorfan; May 23, 2020 at 5:29 AM. Reason: Added updates throughout

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I don't see one either. I think the comment box and the share button are both gone at the moment.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Newbie

One thing I am missing are the Previous and Next article buttons.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Facebook comments are live, may have to wait a sec? But they're there. Will have a better solution eventually, as these don't notify the writers of new comments and I always forget to check - which reduces my responses versus what I was doing before.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Thanks, it does look better.

Of course, I do have some constructive feedback to share.

Initial comments relate to viewing it from my personal laptop.

Menu bar
    That is no longer showing, rather have to click the three horizontal line button at the top right to show the menu options. Can you put the menu options permanently across the top again? EDIT: see update below, shows correctly on my work laptop. Not sure why there is a difference.

Blank space
    I find there is a lot of unnecessary blank space in between components/sections, whether it's between the articles or below 'upcoming games' on the right hand side. EDIT: see update below, looks better on my work laptop. Not sure why there is a difference. EDIT2: On personal laptop the extra space might be linked to either the components on the right hand side or the ad below the second pair or articles.

Article snippets
    I've mentioned this before but I don't see the point of adding the start of the article as a snippet on the home page. I know you said you need to 'reel me in' but if the title doesn't grab my attention then I don't expect the snippet will either. All this does is create more scrolling.

But if you insist on keeping text there, then instead of showing the start of the article, why don't you add a description that expands on the title? That would be a better way to get readers' attention IMO.

More scrolling
    With the extra space and the snippet text, there's more unnecessary scrolling down the page.

Links into article
    I've also mentioned this before but there are three (!) links to click into the article: 1) on the photo, with the (unnecessary) slide in graphic; 2) the title; and 3) 'read more'. That's overkill. If you want to be able to click on the photo as a hyperlink, that's fine, along with the title. No need to go beyond that. The slide in graphic provides no value, and the 'read more' is unnecessary.

Article photo
    When you click into the article the photo is massive! Really don't see the point of that other than just adding more space. How many people will need that photo to be that huge, as we are just wanting to read the article. I wonder how that will look on mobile... Update checking kindle - the photo is bigger than my screen! Way too big.

Added info down right side
    I like the addition. Useful snapshots of key information and links to source material.

Load new posts
    Although I would prefer a proper end point on a web page, I appreciate that you removed the automatic load and allowed the user the choice.

An idea for those who don't want to load more: how about adding a link that takes you to the archive as well? You could have two buttons, one saying 'Load More Posts' and the other saying 'Go to Column Archive' or something. I know the options are there at the top, but you have to scroll back up to find it. Unless...

Freeze top menu/bar
    When you start scrolling down, the top (black) bar doesn't stay there. I think having the top bar frozen and an additional link at the bottom of the page that refers to the archive could get more people reading older articles. Especially new users who may not go through the top menu thoroughly at first, and it's currently not visible. EDIT: see update below, it does freeze on my work laptop, so not sure why there is a difference.

Overall
    At a first glance it's an improvement, and appreciate all the work going into it. A few tweaks and it could be even better. Thanks.

If I have any additional feedback (checking on my kindle, for example), I'll add them here. Of course.

UPDATE:

Just checked on my work laptop and the menu bar does show and it's frozen, which is good. A suggestion - you might want to freeze the other Dobber sites at the top as well so they are more visible? Or put them in the top (black) bar so it automatically freezes? Just an idea.

The spaces in between components is better on my work laptop as well.

Not sure why it looks different on my personal laptop.

UPDATE 2 (kindle):

It doesn't load properly on my kindle. The components that should be down the right hand side (with the exception of 'Find Us on Facebook') appear below the third/fourth articles in the main area. Then the next articles appear below them.

This is the same on my kindle. The top bar doesn't freeze either.

Hey I appreciate the breakdown! I can do some of this for sure.

Menu bar: This shows for all formats. That little square grid at the very top, click that for the network menu bar. Was there from the start. I added a label to that grid now so you can see it better. Full network bar appears in desktop format
    Blank space: this is related to ads. Ads do not always show up, so space appears.
    Article snippets: I hear you, I get it. But my preference is to have this. I hope it can be ignored if it bothers you, I don't see a negative to have a few extra words there, and in some cases it's a positive. I'll keep an open mind (i.e. it's not set in stone) but for now this is how I like it.
    Scrolling: True, only on mobile. And it is no longer endless, as the 'load more posts' is there.
    Links to article: Edit: I just looked at them - I need the magnifying glass to show credit for photo. I'll remove the link circle.
    Article photo: As with all new websites now, the article is the background meant to fill the page. It's a style. I've heard a lot of good feedback on this. Very sleek. Kindle (should) treats this as mobile would - so four articles, then four widgets. Structure of site is a set of four articles, set of four widgets. I had asked to switch to two articles, two widgets, two articles, two widgets. But time taken up to do that would eat into DobberProspects launch so I decided it wasn't worth it.
    Menu bar freeze: this is a great thought. For now, since this only impacts mobile, there 'is' an up arrow that shoots you to the top instantly, to then click the menu. (I know that's an extra tap and an extra half-second, and I get that in today's internet world that means everything (haha))

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I don't see one either. I think the comment box and the share button are both gone at the moment.
    Underneath the ad, underneath related posts, it is there.

On mobile it's above the FB widget and below 'related posts'

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sanuksanan View Post
    One thing I am missing are the Previous and Next article buttons.
    Okay, I'll take a look

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Underneath the ad, underneath related posts, it is there.

On mobile it's above the FB widget and below 'related posts'
    Found it, thanks!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Wolverine

Hey I appreciate the breakdown! I can do some of this for sure.
    Thanks for getting back to me.

Menu bar: This shows for all formats. That little square grid at the very top, click that for the network menu bar. Was there from the start. I added a label to that grid now so you can see it better. Full network bar appears in desktop format
    Yeah I see the little square grid, but was wondering if you could have the menu options on the bar permanently across all versions, rather than having to click the grid to show it. By the way, on my personal laptop, it still doesn't show across, just the grid. And there's no label. Though, it shows across the bar on my work laptop. I'll check the kindle later.

Blank space: this is related to ads. Ads do not always show up, so space appears.
    Ok no problem.

Article snippets: I hear you, I get it. But my preference is to have this. I hope it can be ignored if it bothers you, I don't see a negative to have a few extra words there, and in some cases it's a positive. I'll keep an open mind (i.e. it's not set in stone) but for now this is how I like it.
    Fair enough. Have you considered a description (expanding on the title) instead? For me, that would add more value than just the start of the article.

Scrolling: True, only on mobile. And it is no longer endless, as the 'load more posts' is there.
    Given the above points then will have to accept it. Yeah I mentioned that I'm glad you added the choice for the user to load more posts instead of making it automatic. My preference would still be an end point (no 'load more'), with perhaps a link to the archive. But at least users are given a choice now.

Also, I think I mentioned this in my earlier feedback (prior to launch) that I'm not sure of the need to have photos on every article on the home page. That would save scrolling as well. But, given the current structure e.g. components/widgets, I'm sure that's unlikely to change.

Links to article: Edit: I just looked at them - I need the magnifying glass to show credit for photo. I'll remove the link circle.
    Ok thanks.

Article photo: As with all new websites now, the article is the background meant to fill the page. It's a style. I've heard a lot of good feedback on this. Very sleek. Kindle (should) treats this as mobile would - so four articles, then four widgets. Structure of site is a set of four articles, set of four widgets. I had asked to switch to two articles, two widgets, two articles, two widgets. But time taken up to do that would eat into DobberProspects launch so I decided it wasn't worth it.
    I don't understand what you mean with 'the article is the background'. I'm focusing on the photo at the top of the page within the article itself, which is huge, and sits above the article. It doesn't add anything to make it that big. And I'm not talking about the structure of the homepage, but when you're in an article itself. When I'm on the kindle (even my laptop), the article photo is bigger than my screen, so having to scroll down just to get to the article. That should not be necessary.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I find several modern websites too focused on graphics, which detracts from the content. For me, DobberHockey is about content, not graphics. Having a massive photo above an article doesn't serve any purpose IMO. But obviously that's up to you, and I'm just giving feedback.

Menu bar freeze: this is a great thought. For now, since this only impacts mobile, there 'is' an up arrow that shoots you to the top instantly, to then click the menu. (I know that's an extra tap and an extra half-second, and I get that in today's internet world that means everything (haha))
    It doesn't freeze on my personal laptop either. I'll check the kindle later.

Thanks.
    Last edited by horrorfan; May 25, 2020 at 5:28 AM. Reason: updates

I...am your father.

Yeah I see the little square grid, but was wondering if you could have the menu options on the bar permanently across all versions, rather than having to click the grid to show it. By the way, on my personal laptop, it still doesn't show across, just the grid. And there's no label. Though, it shows across the bar on my work laptop. I'll check the kindle later.
    We did this in testing - we felt it took from the article and looked bad. You mean within articles, right? The home page this network menu full version shows, until you shrink the screen size to tablet or smaller. And in the articles, we removed the full version.

Fair enough. Have you considered a description (expanding on the title) instead? For me, that would add more value than just the start of the article.
    This is 100% the smart way to do it. And I think we'll go there in the long term. My lame excuse now is laziness - sum up the article in two sentences after already spending 10 minutes reading and editing it. I'm just tired right now I guess, so that doesn't appeal to me or the managers. Not when the intro sentence often makes a pretty good summary.

I don't understand what you mean with 'the article is the background'. I'm focusing on the photo at the top of the page within the article itself, which is huge, and sits above the article. It doesn't add anything to make it that big. And I'm not talking about the structure of the homepage, but when you're in an article itself. When I'm on the kindle (even my laptop), the article photo is bigger than my screen, so having to scroll down just to get to the article. That should not be necessary.
    Oops. Change the word 'article' to 'photo'. The photo is the background in the article itself.
    To test the amount of scroll, I went to the Athletic and The Star. In each case, the article I clicked, I wheeled my mouse two clicks to get the first paragraph of the story to appear. Then I went to DobberHockey and clicked an article. Two wheel clicks (my wheel isn't set on smooth, it's on clicks). Same amount of scrolling. That's PC, I will test mobile tomorrow. But I wonder if it's an illusion that it adds to scroll? It only goes from frame to frame for width, I don't think it gets so unnecessarily taller that it adds to the scroll workload?

The Wolverine

We did this in testing - we felt it took from the article and looked bad. You mean within articles, right? The home page this network menu full version shows, until you shrink the screen size to tablet or smaller. And in the articles, we removed the full version.
    I meant at all times e.g. Rankings, Forums, Columns etc. across the top - the standard way. It was visible at all times on my work laptop when I last checked so I figure that is the plan on larger screens (desktop/laptop) but right now on my personal laptop is still the grid at the top right. I thought it would show on all laptops? I understand keeping the grid on smaller screens if it affects the layout.

This is 100% the smart way to do it. And I think we'll go there in the long term. My lame excuse now is laziness - sum up the article in two sentences after already spending 10 minutes reading and editing it. I'm just tired right now I guess, so that doesn't appeal to me or the managers. Not when the intro sentence often makes a pretty good summary.
    No problem. I appreciate all the work you and the team have been doing, and I know this isn't a priority.

Oops. Change the word 'article' to 'photo'. The photo is the background in the article itself.
    To test the amount of scroll, I went to the Athletic and The Star. In each case, the article I clicked, I wheeled my mouse two clicks to get the first paragraph of the story to appear. Then I went to DobberHockey and clicked an article. Two wheel clicks (my wheel isn't set on smooth, it's on clicks). Same amount of scrolling. That's PC, I will test mobile tomorrow. But I wonder if it's an illusion that it adds to scroll? It only goes from frame to frame for width, I don't think it gets so unnecessarily taller that it adds to the scroll workload?
    I trust you on those sites as I don't visit them. My main point is that I'm clicking into an article to read it, so I don't see the point of having a massive photo on the article to scroll past. I just see it as a graphic for the sake of having a graphic, rather than adding something useful. But that's me - like I said I'm probably old-fashioned with these kinds of things and care more about the content than the graphics, when the focus is the content.

By the way, it's still not loading properly on my kindle. The widgets are mostly within the articles, not on the right hand side.

I...am your father.

Within the articles? Or after the articles? Like...it's breaking up the articles?

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think he means on the home page with the links to articles. It doesn't format properly on my wife's old iPad either.

I see the black bar at the top, the icons for 'shop, prospects, etc' are formatted in a column instead of a row, beneath that column are links to 4 articles, beneath that the upcoming games widget, 4 more articles, starting goalies widget, 4 more articles... and so on.