Thread: Draft pick returns

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Draft pick returns

League settings in SIG. Curious to see some opinions on how people would value a draft pick anywhere from a 1st rounder to a 5th. For example, if you had a top 3 pick in this year's draft, what type of return would you expect if someone made an offer? I'm not looking to make a trade with my two picks (2nd and 3rd best chance at 1st OA,) just want to see what kind of player people would want for particular draft picks in different rounds. Sorry if this doesn't make sense haha!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

The Great One

Default Re: Draft pick returns

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    League settings in SIG. Curious to see some opinions on how people would value a draft pick anywhere from a 1st rounder to a 5th. For example, if you had a top 3 pick in this year's draft, what type of return would you expect if someone made an offer? I'm not looking to make a trade with my two picks (2nd and 3rd best chance at 1st OA,) just want to see what kind of player people would want for particular draft picks in different rounds. Sorry if this doesn't make sense haha!
    I'd want McDavid, Matthews, and 50 first round picks in return.

(Because it seems every time you've traded your top pick away, you've been absolutely destroyed. And it seems you do it year after year after year...)

Seriously, I'd just draft two studs and hold them...

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I'd want McDavid, Matthews, and 50 first round picks in return.

(Because it seems every time you've traded your top pick away, you've been absolutely destroyed. And it seems you do it year after year after year...)

Seriously, I'd just draft two studs and hold them...
    It's sad but true. You also have a great memory haha. Thanks for being honest though. This season was a wakeup call for me when I finished behind an expansion team. I guess the question is more aimed at some of the offers I've seen/made throughout our pool involving players and picks. Some have seemed to make sense and some not so much. Just wanted to see how people would value different picks. More curiosity than me wanting to formulate offers. Again, thanks for being honest though. I need the kick in the arse.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

It's hard to answer. Depends on each league.

In a league that I'm competing for title every year, I've traded high picks like yours for the past two years. So it can give you an example of the kind of return I got:

In 2018, I had the 2nd overall (year of Dahlin and Svechnikov). I've basically traded the 2nd pick (Svechnikov) and a 4th round pick for C.Keller, K.Kostin and and 2nd round pick (15th overall). That was after Keller rookie season of 65 pts. With Keller past season, that was a pretty bad trade but I expected Keller to help me faster in winning mode.

In 2019, I had the pick with the higher odd at being 1st overall. I've traded the pick before the lottery for K.Connor, S. Theodore and prospect that I don't remember. At the end, the pick lost the lottery and it became the 4th overall (B.Byram) for Connor and Theodore. It looks better so far and helped me this year with the season Connor got. But that was a big risk and I could have lost Hughes or Kakko and Byram can still be good.

If your picks are in a lottery, there is less value until the real picks are known. If I was in a rebuild I would keep these high picks because it's pretty hard to get a Lafreniere via trade.

If you believe Byfield is as good as Lafreniere (I don't but some do), then you can try to trade the 1st overall for the 2nd + another pick in the top 15 and another player. Just don't undersell or go for an even trade. Your picks will be awesome players and their value will keep going up in the next years.

Hope it helps.

Administrator

It's sad but true. You also have a great memory haha. Thanks for being honest though. This season was a wakeup call for me when I finished behind an expansion team. I guess the question is more aimed at some of the offers I've seen/made throughout our pool involving players and picks. Some have seemed to make sense and some not so much. Just wanted to see how people would value different picks. More curiosity than me wanting to formulate offers. Again, thanks for being honest though. I need the kick in the arse.
    I call bullshit. The longer you spend thinking about bad ideas, the more likely you are to convince yourself it's a good idea. Break the cycle now.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

From my experience its very hard to make good trade before lottery happenes. For most parts person with draft pick wants to sell that pick as it won a lottery and person aquaring it wants to pay for pick that looses the lottery.

Having said that for fist overall i would want minimum player like Nylander + later pick , for 2nd and 3rd minimum Nylander on its own...
    Now, you only make this if you can compete right away, and if you own few picks at top of the draft im assuming you are in re-building mode..
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Valuing picks is very league specific, and team situation specific. You need to get quality young players back if you are going to make a deal, due to the rebuild, and your prior issues with trades.

However, if you were a contender and correctly identified yourself as one, you could deal picks for veterans. I made a deal before the season that mostly worked, but I should've perhaps been able to do a little better:
    Cole Caulfield (taken at 1.08) and pick 3.08 in a 12 team league multi-cat cap league for Benn & Keith. I whiffed hard on Keith. Benn has been pretty good for me: a top-40 forward in our format.

One the season ends, I intend to post my moves in total (excluding guys who I added, then dropped in a week or so) and get some feedback from the forums on them.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I call bullshit. The longer you spend thinking about bad ideas, the more likely you are to convince yourself it's a good idea. Break the cycle now.
    Being honest but can't blame you for thinking there's a motive behind it. I'm not asking so I can put a deal together. I'd just like to be on the same page with my fellow GMs when they're talking value on returns or just individual players in general. For instance, I've tried on many occasions to see if there was interest in a guy like Yandle. All I got back was he has no value in a points only league and I wouldn't be able to even get a 5th rounder back. That to me seems odd as he's proven that he can play a lot of games and can contribute points-wise. I argue and argue this, but to no avail. I'd just like to know what I'm not seeing. But you are right. I cannot keep on going this way if I want to be a serious contender at some point.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Being honest but can't blame you for thinking there's a motive behind it. I'm not asking so I can put a deal together. I'd just like to be on the same page with my fellow GMs when they're talking value on returns or just individual players in general. For instance, I've tried on many occasions to see if there was interest in a guy like Yandle. All I got back was he has no value in a points only league and I wouldn't be able to even get a 5th rounder back. That to me seems odd as he's proven that he can play a lot of games and can contribute points-wise. I argue and argue this, but to no avail. I'd just like to know what I'm not seeing. But you are right. I cannot keep on going this way if I want to be a serious contender at some point.
    If that's the kind of league you are in, you should send 5th round pick to get players like Yandle. You will climb in the Standings fast if you have steals like that. You need to benefit from owners who think 30 years old players are done (and many poolers are like that).

Just don't give your top prospects and your top picks to get them if you're not in a winning window.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Stencil View Post
    If that's the kind of league you are in, you should send 5th round pick to get players like Yandle. You will climb in the Standings fast if you have steals like that. You need to benefit from owners who think 30 years old players are done (and many poolers are like that).

Just don't give your top prospects and your top picks to get them if you're not in a winning window.
    There are no positional requirements and it's points only. So D putting up 50 points has basically no value.

My advice is simple and it's been the same for many years. Do not offer your 1st round picks for sale. If you get an offer, post it.

Otherwise, just draft the studs you can (and avoid drafting D at pretty much all cost).