View Poll Results: Which forwards will have their best season after turning 30?

Voters
42. This poll is closed
  • Cam Atkinson (Age = 30; 71 points in 2018-19)

2 4.76%
  • Mikael Backlund (Age = 31; 53 points in 2019-20)

7 16.67%
  • Logan Couture (Age = 31; 71 points in 2018-19)

8 19.05%
  • Evgeni Dadonov (Age = 31; 72 points in 2017-18)

6 14.29%
  • Brendan Gallagher (Age = 28; 62 points in 2015-16)

9 21.43%
  • Nikita Gusev (Age = 27; 55 points in 2019-20)

19 45.24%
  • Adam Henrique (Age = 30; 57 points in 2011-12)

3 7.14%
  • Evander Kane (Age = 28; 63 points in 2011-12)

6 14.29%
  • Alex Killorn (Age = 30; 59 points in 2019-20)

3 7.14%
  • Chris Kreider (Age = 29; 59 points in 2019-20)

14 33.33%
  • Brad Marchand (Age = 31; 104 points in 2018-19)

6 14.29%
  • Brock Nelson (Age = 28; 65 points in 2019-20)

5 11.90%
  • T.J. Oshie (Age = 33; 64 points in 2018-19)

2 4.76%
  • Kyle Palmieri (Age = 29; 59 points in 2017-18)

14 33.33%
  • Tanner Pearson (Age = 27; 53 points in 2019-20)

7 16.67%
  • Brayden Schenn (Age = 28; 70 points in 2017-18)

1 2.38%
  • Steven Stamkos (Age = 30; 98 points in 2018-19)

2 4.76%
  • Tomas Tatar (Age = 29; 74 points in 2019-20)

1 2.38%
  • Tyler Toffoli (Age = 28; 58 points in 2015-16)

21 50.00%
  • Jason Zucker (Age = 28; 64 points in 2017-18)

16 38.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Forwards who'll peak at age 30+

The Magnificent One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Forwards who'll peak at age 30+

Banking on a forward peaking at age 30+ is usually a losing endeavor. But there are exceptions - the question is, can we identify them in advance? That's what I'm trying to do with this month's poll, where I give you 20 players and you choose which ones will, in fact, record their best season after turning 30.

You’ll notice some of the voting choices aren’t 30 years old as yet, since in their cases I felt they’re more likely than not to produce their statistically best season on or after turning 30. Also, when I mean “best season” I’m talking about just points, and, specifically, an 82 game scoring pace, not sheer point total. And for those forwards who are already age 30+, they would need to do better than what is their current best campaign. Lastly, I didn’t include any forwards who’ve yet to score at a 50+ point full season scoring pace (including this season), as that way the focus can be more on more fantasy relevant players and otherwise it would be too easy to envision them doing better than their current career best.

You can vote for as many or as few of the voting choices as you want. They're listed in alphabetical order, with their current age as well as their best full season scoring pace thus far, and the season in which it occurred. After you vote, make a post explaining who you voted for any why, as that way readers can glean even more insight than from just the voting results.

The full column will be posted on Wednesday May 20th. Have fun and be well.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Magnificent One

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Forwards who'll peak at age 30+

I voted for more than I thought I would:

Backlund - very solid and on a team that's improving, which should bolster his point total in the normal course
    Gallagher - his game should translate to still being productive at age 30+, and by then Julien should be gone
    Gusev - the team will improve and so should he
    Kreider - so long as he sticks with Zibs, this seems like a lock
    Marchand - averaged 100+ in each of the past three seasons and one of these days him, Pasta, and Bergeron will play 80+ games together, in which case 110+ is realistic
    Palmieri - super consistent, and, like Backlund, will do better as the team around him improves
    Pearson - showed this season that he's a solid top six guy, and once becomes a UFA in a few years will be coveted and get enough ice time to post career best numbers
    Stamkos - his own superb talent and being stapled to Kucherov makes me think he'll tally 100+ before all is said and done
    Toffoli - clearly it was his situation, not his talent, that was holding him back all these years, but that won't be the case anymore now that he's going to sign a UFA deal and get superb deployment
    Zucker - Seemed to click well in Pittsburgh, and that should be enough to get him to a career high while there
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd say:

- Backlund because 53 points is not so much
    - Dadonov because he was in the KHL for many years, so he missed out on even higher numbers
    - Gusev same reason. He's a rookie and close to 30
    - Toffoli because whoever leaves the Kings always gets better on the new team

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm voting for Gallagher and Backlund. I agree with Irriductible that 53 points isn't too much for Backlund to top, and Gallagher I think just hasn't pieced it all together yet, and he will.

The rest I think have either hit their peak, or will set their peak in the next year or two before they hit 30.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

I voted for Gusev and Kreider.

Gusev put up decent numbers for a "rookie". Now that hes adjusted to the league, he should see an uptick in production. Kreider is someone I think still has another gear and as the talent around him progresses, his numbers should too.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Gusev for me and nobody else.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

I voted Gallagher, Gusev and Toffoli.

Toffoli and Gusev for the reasons already mentioned. Gallagher will benefit whenever Montreal improves their power-play, thereby netting him enough PPP to push him into a career points season. He only had five power-play points this season, but was on pace for his second-best season ever.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Gusev for me and nobody else.
    This was me, until I read that Gusev is only 27, so if he has two great seasons at ages 28 and 29, then potentially no, I don't see him or anyone else on that list as surpassing their career best at age 30+.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket