Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adam Fox

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Adam Fox

Hi guys! First time posting a thread on the site, but I've been a fan of the Forum for quite a while now.

I want to have your input on Adam Fox. I think I could acquire him when we'll get closer to the draft (I know, the date is up in the air) since our trade deadline has passed. Personally, I think he's a top talent on the blueline, and I wouldn't be suprised if he becomes a top 5 fantasy option in a couple of years.

Our league is a keeper - points only, 20 players ( 8 FWD - 4 DEF - 2 GK + BENCH) with 12 teams as of now.

We enter our third year as a league, and after finishing second for 2018-2019 season, this year well was a disaster! A lot of my top guys got injured and many players experienced career slumps! So I finished 9th, which at least got me an 8 % chance to pick first overall this year (Hello Laffy)! There
    are players from previous drafts that weren't selected that will be available, but nothing out of the ordinary.

So lets get back to Adam Fox! The asking price as of now is my 2020 pick and a prospect (I have Krebs, Glass and Kotkaniemi on my bench) which is pretty steep. However, I'm in a position to win for the next 2-3 years, my def is aging (Weber, Yandle, Hamilton, Letang) and like I've said before, I truly believe in Fox's potential. A young dominant defensemen is so valuable, hence I'd be inclined to pay a little extra to acquire his services.

What do you guys think?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Adam Fox

First off, welcome to the forums. Thanks for posting the scoring system. It gets missed a lot. If you play in only one or two leagues, it's helpful to put the info in your signature.

I like Fox, but he has a crowded situation in New York, and I don't see him having many top 5 defense season in him, mainly due to how hard it is to be top 5at your position, and the guys who burst on to the scene with equal upside, at worst, and in better situations who've shown more.

I'd definitely want to wait until that pick position gets finalized, as I think a 1st & one of the prospects should work fine.

Your D is aging, but it's also excellent, and Hamilton ain't old.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I agree...I don’t think Fox is top 5 talent and if it’s multicat league he may not crack top 20 too often....however if u think he will be top 5 good it’s not too much to pay...but I personally don’t think he is worth that...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Superstar

you say you're in position to contend for 2-3 years and yes core is old on the blue line but it'll still be serviceable throughout this window. Yandle is the only one who has dropped off, his 45 points were solid but they came in bunches and his minutes cratered this season. Alas as long as he gets that PP1 deployment he's worth an own but Ekblad has ascended to another level so you have to keep a close eye on this going into next year as he could very well take over on the point. If that happened Yandle would be an absolute bust. Not to scare just realist, i've owned him the past three years and this was def a down season compared to the two prior, age related decline is coming online.

Run with what you have, as others mentioned, it's crowded in Manhattan. Fox looked good but that's just one season and he certainly had his cold spells.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the quick responses guys. It is sure nice to exchange on Fantasy Hockey, specially these days. I agree, Yandle could be a major liability next year, and I thought bringing a guy like Fox as my 5th Dman could be a good insurance policy. He could really well reach the 50 point mark next year, which is great for a 2nd year player. And I do think that the futur is bright for Fox, give him 4-5 years and sky is the limit in my opinion. I'll probably wait it out, but even if the asking price is high, I believe he's worth it.

I'll definitely put all the info in my signature from now on, thanks again!

Jeff

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I doubt Yandle will be a major liability in points only next year. The fall is coming, but I'd be shocked if he goes from 45 points to under 20 or something. I think you'll get a few serviceable years still.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Welcome to the forums.

Personally I'd decline the offer. It's way too steep for Fox. I too like Fox a lot and believe in his upside, but not that much. The Rangers are building something there and with DeAngelo likely getting signed long term, and K'Andre Miller coming down the pipe, there will be some serious competition for Fox and the amount of icetime he will get.

As far as Yandle goes, the guy is a beauty. 45 pts in 69 games this year before the end of the season plus he NEVER misses games. He's a machine.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The Rangers are building something there and with DeAngelo likely getting signed long term, and K'Andre Miller coming down the pipe, there will be some serious competition for Fox and the amount of icetime he will get.
    And don't forget Nils Lundkvist.
    Plus, even though he's playing in a defensive role now, I doubt Jacob Trouba has forgotten how to score. That Rangers D is gonna be awesome, but only so many points to go around between everybody.

GET WELL SOON, DOBBER.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    And don't forget Nils Lundkvist.
    Plus, even though he's playing in a defensive role now, I doubt Jacob Trouba has forgotten how to score. That Rangers D is gonna be awesome, but only so many points to go around between everybody.
    True enough. Good point.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

Personally I'd decline the offer. It's way too steep for Fox. I too like Fox a lot and believe in his upside, but not that much. The Rangers are building something there and with DeAngelo likely getting signed long term, and K'Andre Miller coming down the pipe, there will be some serious competition for Fox and the amount of icetime he will get.

Yeah, I'll probably wait this one out, but here me out. The guy had roughly 70 % of his points 5 on 5 this season with NO time whatsoever on the first PP. That's the key! the 1st PP is bread and butter in points only league, and if Fox gets the opportunity to do so, I think he'll be scary productive. And if he doesn't, we know he can get to 50 points (11 points in his last 9 games), that production is still good for a top 15 spot in the league.

That was my take on it, but I appreciate your wisdom! I do have a tendancy to overvalue Rangers players, since I'm a fan!

Jeff

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_pro_mason View Post
    Yeah, I'll probably wait this one out, but here me out. The guy had roughly 70 % of his points 5 on 5 this season with NO time whatsoever on the first PP. That's the key! the 1st PP is bread and butter in points only league, and if Fox gets the opportunity to do so, I think he'll be scary productive. And if he doesn't, we know he can get to 50 points (11 points in his last 9 games), that production is still good for a top 15 spot in the league.

That was my take on it, but I appreciate your wisdom! I do have a tendancy to overvalue Rangers players, since I'm a fan!

Jeff
    As I say, I like Fox and his upside. I just think the price is too steep here. I could see dealing a prospect and a lower draft pick, but not a lottery 1st round pick this year.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_pro_mason View Post

Jeff
    i think we all agree Fox is nice player and will be good contributor, that part i think is clear. Problem is that you think he will be much more than most of us believe he can be. If you are right, then asking price is not crazy. But majority here dont believe he can be that top end elite D. He still will be very good just not worth what top 5 D would be worth.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i think we all agree Fox is nice player and will be good contributor, that part i think is clear. Problem is that you think he will be much more than most of us believe he can be. If you are right, then asking price is not crazy. But majority here dont believe he can be that top end elite D. He still will be very good just not worth what top 5 D would be worth.

I agree, Fox still has a ways to go before being considered a top end elite D. The main reason behind these trade talks is that I learned last season the hard way that depth is really important. My 5th D is Alexander Edler, and after losing Weber and Hamilton, lets say I was in big trouble! I even had to drop a propsect (Cam York) to go get a guy to fill my lineup (Alec Martinez). Bad management on my part, I know! But since I'm pretty sure that my team is a contender right now, I was looking for reinforcements (fantasy relevant) for my D, and my best bait is for sure that lotery pick. But again, I agree with pretty much everyone saying that it would be an overpay for Fox.

Dobber Sports Wizard

i would target someone more ready to be close to elite then...you may get Dumba just for the 1st rounder if its around top 10....package want to offer for Fox could also get you Seth Jones maybe, or Klinberg. Maybe see how cheap you get get Gustaffsson? Many other options....

Dobber Sports Genius

I think it would be wise to keep your pick. What are the chances that Fox is dropped and available come draft day? I don't see him garnering #1 power play duties just yet. I don't think you need to reach for him.

Your D is pretty solid as it is. With that pick, I'd be inclined to take a forward (best available), and a D with the second selection. One to potentially replace Weber. You could possibly select a 72-76 point forward with that pick versus trade it away for a 36-39 point D man with upside. Try Weber + your pick for DeAngelo + mid-round pick lol - now you're talking!
    Good luck and welcome!
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.