Thread: New Lottery System Suggestions For Keeper League Draft

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default New Lottery System Suggestions For Keeper League Draft

A 12 team league, 6 keepers per team H2H pts system on yahoo. 8 teams make the playoffs, 4 do not.

In the past, to prevent teams from tanking we provided incentive to keep updating daily rosters by creating a lottery draft for the 4 non playoff teams through a consultation tournament. This would decide the lottery chances to get first overall pick.

Looking for any suggestions on how to decide first overall while reducing the urge to tank. Too often we have teams give up early in the season which significantly affects the playoff teams by getting an easy win because managers donÂ’t change their roster daily.

Open to all suggestions on how you guys might decide this in your leagues
    12 team 6 keeper
    Goals, Assists, +/-, PPP, Shots, PIMS
    GA, SVs, SO, W

Kucherov, Barkov, P. Kane, Gaudreau, Connor, Holtby

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: New Lottery System Suggestions For Keeper League Draft

Bottom 5 teams in the fantasy league regular season standings participate in the lottery . The results of the NHL draft lotto will be utilized as a tool for our draft lotto but only if it affects movement to 1st overall .

1st seed represented by nhl's 1,6,11 seeds

2nd seed represented by nhl's 2,7,12 seeds

3rd seed represented by nhl's 3,8,13 seeds

4th seed represented by nhl's 4,9,14 seeds

5th seed represented by nhl's 5,10,15 seeds

Dobber Sports Wizard

Change managers....it’s best solution imo if it’s same guys all the time...activity is most important thing for healthy league

as for pick decision all my leagues I run use NHL based lottery...so we assign our teams to NHL teams based on standings and use NHL lottery result to determined first round picks...rest of rounds are based on standings...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Newbie

I agree activity is most important. In this league, which has been running for many years now, replacing the manager isn’t the easiest solution. It’s a close knit group of friends, so replacement isn’t the ideal situation.

I like the idea of just tying it to the NHL results. It doesn’t necessarily eliminate tanking and lack of activity but our current set up doesn’t either! But I prefer your way, makes my job way easier!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The consolation tournament at the end of the year probably works well for those weeks, but doesn't do much for the weeks when they are eliminated. I've seen leagues do average weekly score once eliminated, but that just means a different kind of tanking strategy.

One option is to eliminate head to head. That completely eliminates matchup luck determining anything, however it doesn't eliminate tanking. It does make it irrelevant for playoff purposes.

Another option is category based head to head, where if you have 10 categories ( looking at your sig) a team can go anywhere from 10-0 to 0-10 in a week. That mitigates matchup luck a bit, because it's much easier to go 1-0 in total points than 10-0 in categories against a team not paying attention.

I like the idea of tying it to the NHL draft order, because all you are getting is the best shot at the #1 overall, not the pick itself, so you decrease the certainty of the reward, hence the value of the ultimate tank job.

Of course, lack of activity isn't the same thing as tanking. One is a passive state, the other is an active maneuver to to worsen your result.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.