Thread: 5th pick move, loading up on this draft?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default 5th pick move, loading up on this draft?

Hello, it's me with another post. Now, my team along with the cats are in my signature. I have the 3rd and 4th pick and Laf and Sorokin are going one and two in some order I believe. Now, I could get the 5th pick and here's his team:

Centers: Petterson, Crosby, Dach, Hischier

Left Wing: Lee, Ehlers, Gaudreau, Hintz, Schwartz

Right Wing: Virtanen, Marner, Buchenvich, Johnsson (IR+)

Defense: Buff (BUYOUT for him), Girard, Klingberg, Sandin, Karlsson.

Goalies: Crawford, Talbot, EDM tandem, Ullmark.

Now, I was wondering what I could offer without giving up either of my picks. If I can get this pick I would take Byfield, Kaprizov, and either Stutzle or Rossi at 5. Thanks for the suggestions in advance. My idea was to offer Varly for Ullmark and some other pieces but i'll be eager for other options!
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    GS is 1.5 points, -1 for GA, 0.2 for SV, 4 for SHO, and 3 for W.
    Team:
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...gi/team/roster

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: 5th pick move, loading up on this draft?

First, why is Byfuglien a buyout for him? His contract was terminated, so he is currently an unsigned free agent. His current salary is zero.

Secondly, I don't think you have enough to get that pick unless he really values somebody who isn't Draisaitl a lot. You can try Drouin, a second rounder, and somebody else, maybe . I doubt it works. He doesn't have a bad contract for you to eat.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Wizard

problem is that guy with 5th pick does not have great team and will not compete just yet so you cant give him few vets and attract the trade that way...

i see only 2 pieces he potentially could be interested in. Cirelli + a 2nd rounder or Werenski. Now this all depends on how good he thinks his chances are to compete next year...if he is realistic i agree you dont have enough to make this happen.

Also if i was you i would consider my self very lucky that someone is picking a goalie with 2nd overall....
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Alright, so the 5th pick seems unrealistic and that's fine. 3rd Pick, I'm taking Byfield no doubt. Now, with my 4th pick, I'm deciding between Kaprizov and Rossi/Stutzle. When you guys look at my team, what is the best player for my timeline? I don't think next year i'm contending. Thanks for the help!
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

OR, it might sound crazy and I don't know if this improves my team but I can do something like this:
    Draisaitl
    Johansen
    Morrissey
    For
    Barkov
    Miller
    Provorov
    1st pick
    The guy would be interested in this but idk if it's worth Draisaitl.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Stud

I think realistically the 2020 draft picks are ‘22-‘23 relevant, not likely superstars in 1st TWO years. So players like Varlamov, Quick, Pavelski - maybe more - are basically worthless to your rebuild, and even gambling them off for 3rd round picks - or better, prospects like Valimaki, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Yamamoto, or yes, even Lias Andersson (he’ll get traded), or Barrett Hayton. (I left off the Robert Thomas/Chytil/Zegras, etc. crowd because they’re maybe not available for your offers.). But you only need one “home run” to make trading the old guys worthwhile, and clearly you can re-trade others.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    I think realistically the 2020 draft picks are ‘22-‘23 relevant, not likely superstars in 1st TWO years. So players like Varlamov, Quick, Pavelski - maybe more - are basically worthless to your rebuild, and even gambling them off for 3rd round picks - or better, prospects like Valimaki, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Yamamoto, or yes, even Lias Andersson (he’ll get traded), or Barrett Hayton. (I left off the Robert Thomas/Chytil/Zegras, etc. crowd because they’re maybe not available for your offers.). But you only need one “home run” to make trading the old guys worthwhile, and clearly you can re-trade others.
    True. I took Pavelski's contract to acquire the 3rd pick so i'll get working on moving these guys. So would Kaprizov be the pick then at 4 or Rossi/Stutzle is the better option?
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Wizard

as much as it would hurt to loose Leon, if that is 1st overall pick im doing that trade...you get 2, 3 maybe even 4 star players in that trade and give up one

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    as much as it would hurt to loose Leon, if that is 1st overall pick im doing that trade...you get 2, 3 maybe even 4 star players in that trade and give up one
    Alright, I'll see if he would be interested. Then, I may flip the 3rd and 4th picks for another superstar but first, getting the first pick is the priority. Draisaitl is a superstar so I have to make sure I'm getting fair value.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Stud

Obvious question for your megatrade is, will Draisaitl (or Barkov?) be a superstar in 3 years.... AND you get Lafreniere or Sorokin TOO ? I do that trade if it’s for 1st overall.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Obvious question for your megatrade is, will Draisaitl (or Barkov?) be a superstar in 3 years.... AND you get Lafreniere or Sorokin TOO ? I do that trade if it’s for 1st overall.
    I would ask for the 1st pick for sure. Should I still consider it if he asks for Werenski instead of Morrissey even though I should be able to pull off the deal I proposed above? Draisaitl is a top 5 player for sure IMO but Barkov's production and faceoffs help. Miller helps faceoff and hit wise and if his production keeps up then i feel better about the deal. Provorov is a multi-cat stud so I think it's good value.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Wizard

yes...its a very good trade for you....but i thought you had it on the table...if you dont i really doubt other GM would do this.....but give it a shot and accept quick if he agrees.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Alright I will give an update once our league opens up the trade window
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Draisaitl? Yes, he will be, barring soemthing that redners him basically unable to play at this level. He's 24. Barring injury, 24 year old superstars don't fall off a cliff at 27, unless they do something to injure themslves that is the equivalent of career-altering, like literally falling of a cliff.

Barkov is a star now,a nd could be a superstar or just a star by then.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Draisaitl? Yes, he will be, barring soemthing that redners him basically unable to play at this level. He's 24. Barring injury, 24 year old superstars don't fall off a cliff at 27, unless they do something to injure themslves that is the equivalent of career-altering, like literally falling of a cliff.

Barkov is a star now,a nd could be a superstar or just a star by then.
    True, I love Draisaitl but i'm trying to figure out if the deal improves my team. I'm leaning towards yes since I get the 1st pick as well as the 3rd and 4th picks I already have. I can package the 3rd and 4th picks for more stars possibly.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team: