Thread: Long term goalie thoughts?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Long term goalie thoughts?

I have been sitting pretty well with my goalies for the past two seasons, and I just traded away Georgiev and Varlamov for a 2020 2nd round (10th overall) and a waiver wire pickup. We can only hold 4 active goalies in our league, but stash unlimited minors goalies, until they've played 60+ games, then they are no longer eligible.
    Currently starting:
    Blackwood
    Grubauer
    Kuemper
    Saros

Minors:

Peterson
    Scott
    Gillies (probably drop in the offseason)
    Merzlikins

Assuming one or both of Petersen and Merzlikins will have be put into my active roster next season, I'm looking to replace with another goalie I can sit for 1 or 2 more seasons in the minors.

Thoughts on these goalies for future and or long term upside?

Wolf
    Zagidulin
    Melnichuk

W: 3pts
    L: -1pt
    SO: 3pts
    Saves: .12/save
    GA: -.75

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Long term goalie thoughts?

I think Melnichuk is in a nice spot. Nobody in SJ right now is a good long term answer in net, so he & Korenar can play in the AHL, and see who comes out on top.

I think I'd have Gilles a bit behind Melnichuk, due to thinking he's a NHL backup caliber guy. He might make the NHL to stay next year, or not make it again.

Wolf isn't a high draft pick, but has played well in junior. Who knows how he'll translate.

Zagidulin is last for me. He's behind Gilles in the pecking order, based on AHL results. His Elite Prospects page has him rumored to be heading back to the KHL. If he stays, and Calgary lets him compete for the NHL backup job, then he'd move up the list. He needs to be the best AHL goalie on his team for me to get excited, and right now, it looks like he may be one and done in North America. If he stays, you can bump him ahead of Wolf.
    https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...tyom-zagidulin
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

That's what I was thinking. My only thought is that if Melnichuk performs and takes the starting role in SJ, I'm running into the same situation about needing to trade away one of my current 4 starters or Merzlikins and/or Petersen. I'm thinking Wolf gives me a buffer of at least two years. Maybe I'll just pick up both. Thanks for the insight on Zagidulin!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I doubt he takes over next year. However, you should look at perpetually graduating prospect goalies to significant NHL gigs as a good thing, not a bad one. It means that you have a steady supply of useful players at the most limited position, and that you have at least some level of competence at finding them.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.