Thread: Keeper Decisions for a noobie.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Keeper Decisions for a noobie.

With the second season completed* (paused) after inheriting the squad in my signature I've been able to rejig the roster and start building my talent pool for my rebuild.. 3 firsts for this years deep draft!! Anyways, I'm now starting to look towards who should remain on my squad for next season. There are no keeper limits, however because we do an auction draft after keepers are selected the player salaries can vary by quite a bit. (see Gusev $7.5 oops) all the salaries for players in signature are for new salaries for next years season after their respective increases.

Players I'm on the fence about keeping are as follows:

Carter Hart $6.0mil
    Travis Sanheim $3.84mil
    Alex Edler $2.9mil
    Erik Brannstrom $3.0mil
    Jake Debrusk $3.84mil

Anyone I cut during keeper selection can be redrafted at the auction. Thanks for any input.
    Dynasty Auction Salary(millions),Points,13 Team,12F/6D/2G/4Res/Minors
    F:
    Marchard 6.8, Huberdeau 5.5, P. Kane 4.5, Kuznetsov 3.7, Nichuskin 3.6, Johansen 3.1, Kakko 2.7, Kuzmenko 2.5, Rust 2.5, Seguin 2.2, Perron 1.0, Chytil 0.5, Krebs 0.5, N. Robertson 0.5 D: Chabot 4.6, Nurse 4.32, Forsling 4.176, Zellweger 0.9,
    G: Vasilevsky 4.5, Demko 3.7, Hill 1.7
    Minors: Byfield, Lafreniere, Perfetti, Raymond, Drysdale, Gunler, Grans, Greig, L'Hereaux, K. Johnson, Rosen, B. Clarke, Bourgault, Othmann, Lysell, Korchinski, Dumais, Pickering, Howard, Snuggerud, Ritchie
    Draft Picks: 2024 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Keeper Decisions for a noobie.

Welcome to the forums. It's often best to get an idea of points per million of salary, but you might want to see what the total is for a top team or two in your league to evaluate. Given what I see from your roster, it looks like there's some real inflation in the auction, and you have some definite overpriced guys to toss back.

I have two main questions:

1. What is the scoring system, exactly? You note that it's points, but you have goalies. Is it just points for skaters, and something else for goalies, or is it a point-based league where various things are worth various amounts?

If it's just points only for skaters, I'd lean to keep all of your list, excluding Brannstrom, and probably Sanheim.

2. That $3.84M amount is notably odd, especially showing up twice. Is that some kind of fixed number for free agent acquisitions or something?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

1 point Goal 1 point Assist for the skaters, 2pt Win +2 Bonus for Shutout for the goalies.

The salary inflation works as follows: Players under/at 2.5mil increase by 500k every year. Once a player reaches 3mil their salary as a keeper then increases 20% every year. Auction bidding starts at a minimum bid of 500k and increases in 100k increments up until the max (this year was 15.9mil)

Hope that helps clear things up. thanks
    F:
    Marchard 6.8, Huberdeau 5.5, P. Kane 4.5, Kuznetsov 3.7, Nichuskin 3.6, Johansen 3.1, Kakko 2.7, Kuzmenko 2.5, Rust 2.5, Seguin 2.2, Perron 1.0, Chytil 0.5, Krebs 0.5, N. Robertson 0.5 D: Chabot 4.6, Nurse 4.32, Forsling 4.176, Zellweger 0.9,
    Minors: Byfield, Lafreniere, Perfetti, Raymond, Drysdale, Gunler, Grans, Greig, L'Hereaux, K. Johnson, Rosen, B. Clarke, Bourgault, Othmann, Lysell, Korchinski, Dumais, Pickering, Howard, Snuggerud, Ritchie

Given that goalie scoring, I guess you mostly need starts, and Hart will get those.

I was mainly referring to the inflation one sees in auction leagues when teams have more dollars to spend on players than the players are actually worth, due to players kept at below market prices.

I'd toss Brannstrom back. I suspect Edler will be worth that this year. Sanheim is heavily dependent on what the Flyers D corps looks like going into next year. I think that value could be a tad too expensive, but could also be a bargain if he gets plum PP deployment. I guess he's a hold.

Debrusk I still like, and think he's fine at that number.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I’m no expert at all but Carter Hart seem like someone to keep even if he is a bit expensive. Are there lots of goalies available? Brännström seem a bit expensive since you also have Sandin, Dobson and Miller in your minors.
    Are you dropping the others or keeping them? Looking at Fiala, Subban etc.
    16 team h2h keeper league. G, A, Pim, PPP, Shp, Sog, FW, Hit, Blk, Win, GAA, SV, SV%, Sho.
    Keep up to 8 players, 2 of them must be dropped after the following season. In bold keeper to next season.
    J Robertson, A Kempe, L Hughes, J Slafkovsky, L Carlsson, D Guenther, J Daccord (droppable), J Lauzon (droppable)

Dobber Sports Deity

Is there any reason why those are the only guys you are considering keeping? I am looking at someone like PK Subban on your roster at $8.8M.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I think that list is just who he's on the fence about.

Subban is a slam dunk cut, along with Gusev.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I left out the more obvious cuts. The players with high salaries were parts of trades and me retaining non-playoff high salary players paired with 2020 picks and prospects.

I think Brannstrom is my toughest choice.. if I hold him for 2 more seasons he’ll cost $3.6mil in 2021-22 and $4.32mil in 2022-23, not sure if that’s worth holding for that long when I could potentially try to add another top 24 pick for this years prospects draft.

Hart feels like a keeper even at $6mil, Grubauer and Holtby went for $6.5mil at the auction last year.

thanks for the input
    F:

I agree that Brannstrom is a cut. If you can get a pick for him, that's even better.