Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best season of Survivor

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Best season of Survivor

So I signed up for CBS All Access free trial cause i was informed that I could watch Criminal Minds on it. But I can't so I was thinking about watching some Seasons of Survivor.

So My question for you... What are your favourite seasons of Survivor? I am gonna take the advice and watch them.

Thanks,
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Best season of Survivor

To be honest, I stopped watching Survivor years ago but I started back up watching again this on-going season simply because it was all the previous winners. I dont know many of the newer winners and I dont want to give any spoilers in case you decide this season is the one you want to watch first or not but this season has been good so far.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    To be honest, I stopped watching Survivor years ago but I started back up watching again this on-going season simply because it was all the previous winners. I dont know many of the newer winners and I dont want to give any spoilers in case you decide this season is the one you want to watch first or not but this season has been good so far.
    I am looking for the older seasons. My wife and I started watching it again the last few years. This season has been good!

Thanks Axe!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

Season 1 will always be my favourite due to how novel it was and how it all went down. It is basically a whole other show from modern Survivor though, and the production value on it is really low.

In terms of characters and gameplay, Season 28 (Cagayan), Season 20 (Heroes vs Villains), Season 16 (Micronesia) and Season 6 (Pearl Islands) are all excellent Problem is a season like Heroes vs Villains is so great because of returning players (as well as the gameplay etc as well).

Dobber Sports Star

I've heard that Heroes v. Villains was the best one.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Id start at the beginning. S1 was my favorite as well, being the first it was more natural. Then you can start sampling other years in order?

I think bouncing around will make it hard to follow how the show and players strategies have evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Id start at the beginning. S1 was my favorite as well, being the first it was more natural. Then you can start sampling other years in order?

I think bouncing around will make it hard to follow how the show and players strategies have evolved.
    I considered this and would love to do it this way! but with a 30 day free trial, I think I will be lucky to get through two seasons.

​​

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Season 1 will always be my favourite due to how novel it was and how it all went down. It is basically a whole other show from modern Survivor though, and the production value on it is really low.

In terms of characters and gameplay, Season 28 (Cagayan), Season 20 (Heroes vs Villains), Season 16 (Micronesia) and Season 6 (Pearl Islands) are all excellent Problem is a season like Heroes vs Villains is so great because of returning players (as well as the gameplay etc as well).
    I remember once of the guys from the first season saying something like "Its almost like people are voting in some kind of alliance". LOL!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I remember once of the guys from the first season saying something like "Its almost like people are voting in some kind of alliance". LOL!
    I don't watch Survivor anymore. I watched the first few seasons. Everytime I catch an add or trailer for Survivor season 40 I think to myself about the hundreds of millions of dollars that Richard Hatch made for Mark Burnett. The crazy part about season 1 was that the show was billed as a competition of who could survive The Wild the best. The idea was that the contestants had to survive, they had limited food and supplies and had to build shelter, catch food, make fire etc. Then, immediately upon the start Richard Hatch decided it would be much easier if he formed an alliance and voted as a block. I don't think the producers saw that angle at all but to their credit they rolled with it.

And now, whenever I catch pieces of the show everyone is talking about playing the game and there are constant side-sessions of whispering where the players try and out-flank each other to build stronger and stronger alliances. Burnett made a TV icon and Hatch got a measly million dollars (plus some jail time for tax evasion). Anyways Season 1 is great because Richard Hatch is on another level relative to the rest of the players regarding strategy, he had a plan from Day 1 and it worked.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Yeah that first season was just amazing because we didn't know how it was all going to turn out. I remember I read books about it, and the players were on late night television etc. Crazy times.

Dobber Sports Master

The premise of the show when it came out was hugely interesting to me. Watching Richard Hatch completely murder the competition by inventing the alliance was great tv.

Dobber Sports Star

I think season 1 was one of the greatest things to ever air on tv, so that would easily be my choice of season to watch. Groundbreaking and completely riveting at the same time.

The downside has been decades of the formulaic 'reality tv' that Survivor had a role in birthing. I don't think I've seen anything past the first few seasons, but I imagine it more closely resembles the bastardized 'reality' tv genre than the original Survivor. Season 20+ of Survivor is probably like season 20+ of the Simpsons. Some people still like it somehow, but it's so far removed from what originally made it good that it's best treated as something else entirely.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I think season 1 was one of the greatest things to ever air on tv, so that would easily be my choice of season to watch. Groundbreaking and completely riveting at the same time.

The downside has been decades of the formulaic 'reality tv' that Survivor had a role in birthing. I don't think I've seen anything past the first few seasons, but I imagine it more closely resembles the bastardized 'reality' tv genre than the original Survivor. Season 20+ of Survivor is probably like season 20+ of the Simpsons. Some people still like it somehow, but it's so far removed from what originally made it good that it's best treated as something else entirely.
    I've watched every season of Survivor but some of the best seasons came post Season 20. The biggest change is that it has become much more strategic, and has more twists to it, but the general formula has remained essentially the same. I have had to take breaks from it every once and while when the show goes through down times, but I always end up coming back and rewatching the seasons I missed, even if they were not as good.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post

I still wanted Rudy to win.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

BOSTON ROB ... THE G.O.A.T
    Parvatti ... the greatest feast for the Eyes!