Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL History Draft - Discussion Thread

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: NHL History Draft - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Interesting to see some of these really old names go off the board. Not sure I can bring myself to select any of them. It wouldn’t feel right to pick guys I’ve never seen play and only have read about. My team will likely be made up of players from the 90’s onwards, maybe a few old timers sprinkled in. We’ll see.
    I'll be in the same boat prob at 30 years old.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Seems like a goalie run is taking place. It's a nice pace we are going at so far!
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    GS is 1.5 points, -1 for GA, 0.2 for SV, 4 for SHO, and 3 for W.
    Team:
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...gi/team/roster

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Interesting to see some of these really old names go off the board. Not sure I can bring myself to select any of them. It wouldn’t feel right to pick guys I’ve never seen play and only have read about. My team will likely be made up of players from the 90’s onwards, maybe a few old timers sprinkled in. We’ll see.
    Thats why I didnt want to do this. I'd be too busy scratching my head at why some guys choose other guys and what not. Probably frustrated would be a better word.

No offense to Luigi but there's no way Mark Messier was a better choice over someone like Gordie Howe if I was building a legit team of all time players. Gordie is known as one of the greatest to play and as much as I love Messier, he's no Gordie Howe.

Whether you've seen them play or not, you cannot argue their greatness in the game.

To me, thats like saying I would never want to start a band with Jimmy Page or Jimmy Hendrix on lead guitar and would rather have someone like John Mayer. Not that Mayer isn't an excellent guitar player in his own right (and he is) but he's not recognized nearly as greatly as Page or Hendrix. You are all familiar with Mayer's works so you'd rather build your band around him instead of greatness that you never had to chance to see, only what you've read about, or for this analogy, heard.

You have to trust that there were great players before you started watching hockey and they deserve the respect they earned in their time.

/endrant.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    I'll be in the same boat prob at 30 years old.
    I am thirty years old... but have read a lot of books... I will definitely go outside my actual viewing experiences. haha
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Apprentice

i'm happy with my picks so far. We'll see who is available by the time I pick again!
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    Team:

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Thats why I didnt want to do this. I'd be too busy scratching my head at why some guys choose other guys and what not. Probably frustrated would be a better word.

No offense to Luigi but there's no way Mark Messier was a better choice over someone like Gordie Howe if I was building a legit team of all time players. Gordie is known as one of the greatest to play and as much as I love Messier, he's no Gordie Howe.

Whether you've seen them play or not, you cannot argue their greatness in the game.

To me, thats like saying I would never want to start a band with Jimmy Page or Jimmy Hendrix on lead guitar and would rather have someone like John Mayer. Not that Mayer isn't an excellent guitar player in his own right (and he is) but he's not recognized nearly as greatly as Page or Hendrix. You are all familiar with Mayer's works so you'd rather build your band around him instead of greatness that you never had to chance to see, only what you've read about, or for this analogy, heard.

You have to trust that there were great players before you started watching hockey and they deserve the respect they earned in their time.

/endrant.
    Everyone... please ignore this rant! And let me draft all the historic greats!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Stud

So... since I’m twice some of your ages, then what? I can ONLY pick from the guys from 50’s and before?? Nah - the players who stood above their peers both then AND now, those should be the targets.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

/endrant.
    hey you're not wrong that's for sure. My reasons for Messier were his status as a leader, he has six cups so he knows how to win, third all time in points right above Howe. I do respect your angle but don't think him fourth overall is out of line if I am looking to build an ultimate cup contender ya know. 6 cups in a decade, that warrants my top pick IMO.
    Girouxsalem

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

Tro,Schmaltz

Dobber Sports Monster

Great pace so far.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Stud

I was hoping Martin Brodeur lasted to me. Anyone who they had to change the game’s rules to accommodate his play? Without Wilt Chamberlain’s dominance, there would be no 3-point baskets today. Without Pele missing an entire Olympics for a foul from behind him, soccer wouldn’t be what it is today. I’m sure there are baseball and football greats who could be in this part of the discussion also.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Superstar

as soon as Hasek was the first one I knew I had to strike on Marty.
    Girouxsalem

ThePeterNorthStars

Tro,Schmaltz

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm happy I got the best goalie out there
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Guru

Here's an idea. Instead of asking people to judge the rosters overall, we can do it like a playoffs. Put two teams against each other, put in a poll to see who would win a 7-game series, and see who the public votes for.

With eight teams, we could do it that way pretty seamlessly. You would have to win three rounds to win the cup.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    hey you're not wrong that's for sure. My reasons for Messier were his status as a leader, he has six cups so he knows how to win, third all time in points right above Howe. I do respect your angle but don't think him fourth overall is out of line if I am looking to build an ultimate cup contender ya know. 6 cups in a decade, that warrants my top pick IMO.
    Its all good. I am not trying to be an a$$ by any means. I am an Oilers fan and I love Messier, but comparing player to player and not just how many Cups they have, I'd take Gordie Howe 10 times out of 10 vs Messier.

It's fun to follow along but I wasn't going to subject myself to this.

Carry on!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Here's an idea. Instead of asking people to judge the rosters overall, we can do it like a playoffs. Put two teams against each other, put in a poll to see who would win a 7-game series, and see who the public votes for.

With eight teams, we could do it that way pretty seamlessly. You would have to win three rounds to win the cup.
    i like this idea! Everyone in favour?

​​