Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: TSN's CDN All-Time teams

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: TSN's CDN All-Time teams

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Meh, it's their rules. Who am I to question them. Nice to see someone finally focus on the defensive side for a change instead of everyone focusing on the offensive side. Killing penalties and shutdown pairs of D are a huge part of any successful team.
    Sure, but McDavid and Draisaitl successfully kill penalties all the time. So does Joe Pavelski. Mark Giordano and Nick Lidstrom are their teams top penalty killers. Just because high end players don't do it doesn't mean they can't.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Sure, but McDavid and Draisaitl successfully kill penalties all the time. So does Joe Pavelski. Mark Giordano and Nick Lidstrom are their teams top penalty killers. Just because high end players don't do it doesn't mean they can't.
    I wouldn't say all the time

McDavid 0:06 TOISH
    Draisaitl 0:52
    Pavelski 0:48 - and it's sporadic 2:00+ in some games 0:00 in others.

For the current season.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Considering I don't consider the Flames to have a rich history of elite players, this is actually prettyy tough. The checking line portion is also pretty difficult because I don't necessarily know how to classify some of the players from the 80s but here goes.

Gaudreau-Nieuwendyk-Iginla
    Roberts-Gilmour-Fleury
    Tkachuk-Nilsson-Mullen
    Patterson-Otto-Peplinski (checking line)

Suter-MacInnis
    Reinhart-Hamilton
    Giordano-Regehr (shutdown pair)

Kiprusoff
    Vernon

Foundation Player - Lanny McDonald

Couple comments. I tried my best to stick to LW, RW, LD, RD, only breaking on the checking line and shutdown pair. If you didn't stick to strict positional designations, can easily argue Loob or Makarov would be ahead of Tkachuk. However, Tkachuk is so good defensively you easily could argue it would be valid to put him on the checking line. Shrug.

Could argue Housley ahead of Hamilton, but he shoots left. Could quibble with Giordano being on the "shutdown" pair, but he's been the best defender on the Flames for multiple seasons so I think it's fine. Regehr, IMO, is the best pure defender the Flames have ever had. Honestly do not know enough about Macoun or McCrimmon to judge whether they deserve to be on the shutdown pair instead.

Stephane Yelle was one of the best shutdown centers in the league, but he was past his prime in Calgary.

Line combos are based on who I think would play best together, as the exercise stated, but could arguably have Monahan over Gilmour. Gilmour was obviously the better player, but he wasn't necessarily the better player in Calgary.
    Pretty hard to argue with that line up.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

Calgary Flames are next on Wednesday.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I really expected this to generate more conversation lol. Especially RN

Dobber Sports Deity

I really expected this to generate more conversation lol. Especially RN
    Me too. Oh well.

Dobber Sports Jedi

It's hard to argue with Montreal's selections... when we get into some of the lesser storied franchises I think we'll see a couple surprise selections near the bottom of the teams roster.

Canadiens are really hard to argue with, especially when you have to take 1 active guy, and there's exactly 1 choice that makes any sense among them. Therefore, the franchise guy is a goalie, since They honestly have too many to pick from to begin with.

I think Elmer Lach over the younger Richard is about as much as I'd change, and only maybe.

The Senators are likely going to be hilarious.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Canadiens are really hard to argue with, especially when you have to take 1 active guy, and there's exactly 1 choice that makes any sense among them. Therefore, the franchise guy is a goalie, since They honestly have too many to pick from to begin with.

I think Elmer Lach over the younger Richard is about as much as I'd change, and only maybe.

The Senators are likely going to be hilarious.
    Senators: I'm guessing they'll go with some serious oldies: Alex Connell, Cy Denney, Frank Nighbor etc.

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Senators: I'm guessing they'll go with some serious oldies: Alex Connell, Cy Denney, Frank Nighbor etc.
    They might, although it's a different franchise. The Jets will be interesting - will they take Jets from the pre-Coyotes days? Any Thrashers?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    They might, although it's a different franchise. The Jets will be interesting - will they take Jets from the pre-Coyotes days? Any Thrashers?
    Im assuming they will go with players from the original Winnipeg Jets, when they joined the NHL in '79 as well players from their WHA days.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Im assuming they will go with players from the original Winnipeg Jets, when they joined the NHL in '79 as well players from their WHA days.
    If they do that - would they not need to include any current day Coyotes?

I think it has to be Thashers - current Jets - one of the stipulations is an active roster player which puts it on current franchise
    Think this means no Hawerchuck or Selanne

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    If they do that - would they not need to include any current day Coyotes?

I think it has to be Thashers - current Jets - one of the stipulations is an active roster player which puts it on current franchise
    Think this means no Hawerchuck or Selanne
    I think it is all based on the Jets crest on the jersey but who knows at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Calgary is out.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-tsn-hockey-al...team-1.1471022

all-time-flames-board.jpg

Oilers are next on Friday.

I think it is all based on the Jets crest on the jersey but who knows at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Calgary is out.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-tsn-hockey-al...team-1.1471022

all-time-flames-board.jpg

Oilers are next on Friday.
    Just 2 defencemen different from my list. I think I pretty strongly disagree with Phaneuf though. I had him on my list of players and I had 4-5 pretty reasonably ahead of him

Dobber Sports Deity

Just 2 defencemen different from my list. I think I pretty strongly disagree with Phaneuf though. I had him on my list of players and I had 4-5 pretty reasonably ahead of him
    Ya you pretty much nailed it. I dont hate Dion on there, but I dont disagree with your players either.