Thread: Pulock v Theodore

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Pulock v Theodore

Hi everyone! First time, long time.

I am in a full keeper salary cap league that uses cap hits and NHL salary cap. The categories are G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Blocks. H2H.

As part of a bigger deal that I am going to do, the opposing owner is basically letting me choose between receiving Pulock (RFA) or Theodore (5.25, five more seasons). The rest of the deal is irrelevant to this post.

Theodore got more PP TOI and had the better offensive numbers and seems to be on that PP1 without question, but Pulock has been steadily improving, and could come in at a cheaper contract due to a flat cap. Or, he could sign for more.

Anyone who has played in this format knows that salary space is a premium commodity, so I think a lot of the answers to this lies in what you think Pulock will earn. And what potential you think that he has.

Thank you for your time.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Pulock v Theodore

I prefer Theodore. I think the offensive numbers will be better, and I think the contracts will be about the same. Neither is much of a help in PIM. Pulock blocks more, but that's usually a cheap thing to find.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Definitely Theodore for me.

Dobber Sports Deity

Hard to say how much Pulock will get. This layoff could affect A LOT of new deals and not in a good way for the players. That being said, I dont think you will see many signing long term deals because of this.

I'm going to go with Theodore here for two reasons. One, I like his production more. Two, I like the contract security you'd be getting. I can see Pulock signing for less money but he'll also probably sign a short term deal. His contract after that will probably make you regret not getting Theodore.

Of course I'm simply making assumptions but that's what I'd expect to see happen. I tend to value term contracts in cap leagues because it makes it easier to see your budget long term. Theodore has a fair contract number. Hes not cheap but hes not crazy expensive.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Hard to say how much Pulock will get. This layoff could affect A LOT of new deals and not in a good way for the players. That being said, I dont think you will see many signing long term deals because of this.

I'm going to go with Theodore here for two reasons. One, I like his production more. Two, I like the contract security you'd be getting. I can see Pulock signing for less money but he'll also probably sign a short term deal. His contract after that will probably make you regret not getting Theodore.

Of course I'm simply making assumptions but that's what I'd expect to see happen. I tend to value term contracts in cap leagues because it makes it easier to see your budget long term. Theodore has a fair contract number. Hes not cheap but hes not crazy expensive.
    This sound right to me. I go with Theodore and eliminate all the uncertainty with Pulock. I also agree I like his production more, at least in the near term.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Padawan

Theodore! He has really taken off in DeBosr’s system and he secures you a reasonable salary.

Dobber Sports Ace

Another Theodore vote here.

But, for fun, let's play devil's advocate a little bit:

- Someone mentioned that Pulock gives you more blocks, but those are easy to find elsewhere for cheap. This is true, but also means that you are likely spending a roster spot on a player who only contributes blocks (if you get a cheap contract). Is the ~10-15 point difference between the two guys (Theodore 55 points to Pulock 45 points, give or take a few) worth spending another roster spot on a plug who is only going to get you blocks? In your H2H format, that isn't even one extra point per week.

- Pulock might (likely will?) take another cheap, bridge deal, given the economic situation that the NHL is in right now. If we call that 2 years x 4 million per year, that is 1.25 million per season in cap space. Can be very valuable. Of course, he could sign for the same amount more, than Theodore, and this argument is out the window.

- The point about long term security is very true. In your salary cap league, if you look back at your team over the years, how similar is your team right now compared to what it was two years ago? I'm of the mindset that you play to win, and that in fantasy sports, two seasons in a lifetime.

Go with Theodore... just some thoughts to chew on, though.

Dobber Sports Monster

I agree Pulock is more well rounded but for me I'm taking the offensive upside. Pulock ges rotated on and off the PP1 and he's used in lots of different situations, not always offensive. I like to imagine myself on the clock and those two guys are available...I would definitely think about it for a while but end up going with Theodore. I also really love over 3 sog/g from Theodore...that is very uncommon for Dmen and worth a lot.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by nameuser View Post
    Hi everyone! First time, long time.

I am in a full keeper salary cap league that uses cap hits and NHL salary cap. The categories are G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Blocks. H2H.

As part of a bigger deal that I am going to do, the opposing owner is basically letting me choose between receiving Pulock (RFA) or Theodore (5.25, five more seasons). The rest of the deal is irrelevant to this post.

Theodore got more PP TOI and had the better offensive numbers and seems to be on that PP1 without question, but Pulock has been steadily improving, and could come in at a cheaper contract due to a flat cap. Or, he could sign for more.

Anyone who has played in this format knows that salary space is a premium commodity, so I think a lot of the answers to this lies in what you think Pulock will earn. And what potential you think that he has.

Thank you for your time.
    I would take Theodore, as the length of the contract I like a lot. And, he'll be QB of the vegas PP for a while so you'll get a ton of production from him. Pulock isn't going to be worth the shorter term that he's going to get most likely.
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    GS is 1.5 points, -1 for GA, 0.2 for SV, 4 for SHO, and 3 for W.
    Team:
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...gi/team/roster

Dobber Sports Recruit

Thank you for all of the feedback. I'll go with Theodore, but glad to read that it is potentially as close as I thought that it might be.
    Gotta go with that PP1 time and find cheap blocks elsewhere.
    Thanks! I'll try hitting the rep button or whatever it is.

Dobber Sports Jedi

if it were hits and blocks - a stronger case for Pulock could be made...

without hits... I take Theodore.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4