Thread: John Carlson vs Bjorkstrand + Rittich

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default John Carlson vs Bjorkstrand + Rittich

In my signature below are the details of the MHL league. It's a salary cap league where we use actual salary for that year (as opposed to cap hit). For year over year protection, there is a points cap.

I am planning on protecting:
    Panarin
    Pastrnak
    Kane (Patrick)
    Kaprizov
    Hedman
    Hellebuyck
    Dubnyk

With the remaining points I have available in my points cap I have two options (all salaries are 2020/2021):
    1) John Carlson, $8 million
    or
    2) Bjorkstrand, $2.5 million + David Rittich, $2.75 million

I'm not too concerned about the $ cap impact, I want the best players. On the one hand, Carlson is arguably the best D in the league. On the other hand, Bjorkstrand has big upside and my goaltending is weak (because Dubnyk is a question mark). So maybe option 2 is better?

What do you guys think?
    I am in two leagues:

1) MHL
    8 teams
    Salary cap: we use actual salary for the year, not the averaged cap hit; cap is about 25% higher than the NHL's
    25 roster, active: 9F 4D 2G + 10 farm
    F,D: points + plusminus/2 + PIM/5
    G: wins*2 + gamesplayed*1.5 + shutouts*1 - goalsagainst/2
    Year over year protection: We calculate a "points cap" from the winning team's top 7 players; protect anyone you want but stay under that cap

2) UCHL
    10 teams
    F,D: points
    G: wins*2 + shutouts*2
    Year over year protection: We calculate a "points cap" from the winning team's top 7 players; protect anyone you want but stay under that cap

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: John Carlson vs Bjorkstrand + Rittich

Why are you keeping Dubnyk over Rittich in the first place?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

If I am trading the best D man in the league this year... I want a top notch goalie... not Rittich!

I would keep Carlson.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Rookie

I am keeping Dubnyk because he fits in easily under the points cap. Here are the pool points of the three players I am thinking about, plus Dubnyk:

Carlson 86.2
    Bjorkstrand 42.4
    Rittich 54.5
    Dubnyk 23.5

I have 100.3 points left in my points cap (with Dubnyk protected). Carlson fits in (86.2), or Bjorkstrand + Rittich (42.4 + 54.5 = 96.9)

Dubnyk is so cheap to protect that it's kind of a no brainer. Prior to this season he was a game logging machine.
    I am in two leagues:

1) MHL
    8 teams
    Salary cap: we use actual salary for the year, not the averaged cap hit; cap is about 25% higher than the NHL's

2) UCHL
    10 teams

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by andrewelliot View Post
    I am keeping Dubnyk because he fits in easily under the points cap. Here are the pool points of the three players I am thinking about, plus Dubnyk:

Carlson 86.2
    Bjorkstrand 42.4
    Rittich 54.5
    Dubnyk 23.5

I have 100.3 points left in my points cap (with Dubnyk protected). Carlson fits in (86.2), or Bjorkstrand + Rittich (42.4 + 54.5 = 96.9)

Dubnyk is so cheap to protect that it's kind of a no brainer. Prior to this season he was a game logging machine.
    He fits because he's not very good anymore and lost his starting gig LOL!

Its hard to not recommend a goalie without really knowing what would be available to re-draft but it's hard not to recommend Carlson either. If you think you can get a decent goalie in the re-draft, then I'd keep Carlson.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks guys, I was expecting Bjorkstrand to get more love, but I guess the pure proven production of Carlson out weighs Bjorkstrand's upside.

In terms of goalies available in redraft, there will be a bunch of roll-the-dice-who-knows-what-you-get goalies like Rittich / Mrazek / Talbot etc. So I'll just pick one of them up in a mid round. I'll let Carlson know he made the cut

Thanks again!
    I am in two leagues:

1) MHL
    8 teams

2) UCHL
    10 teams