Thread: Talk me off the Subban ledge...

The Great One

Default Talk me off the Subban ledge...

Ok- so Im in a league with a format thats very outside of my norm/comfort zone- lol!

Its a 20 teamer with a cap 20 million above the NHLs. Heres the thing- Im one pick away from a full roster with a 3 man bench 1/3 of the way done- so I need one solid D and 2 bench forwards with 15 million left. I got there by virtue of being in a 20 team and on consolidating a few cash cowas and supporting them by prioritizing "upside" guys. Ive sti

Ill post my roster to help. D has already been problematic as I built around one dimensiobnal point getters- lol! But it is waht it is :P

C- McDavid, Hughes, Prokhorkin
    LW_ Gudreau, Hall, Duclair
    RW- Radulov, Kase, Anderson
    F- Ferland. Yamomoto,
    D- Klefbom, Barrie, Ghost, Mateshon, Grelczyk
    G- Rittich, Varlamov
    Bn- Koskinen, Nilsson
    PRospects- Tolvanen, Chmelvski, York, Gillies, Nedj

So my qualm is I need a D 2 f and one bench (I know 4 goalies is not optimal but that was bound to happen as I took Edmonton as my darft team so I got McDavid/Yamomoto/Klefbom in the package- lol! I feel like I could draft 3 chgeap forwards and Subban. As you see my D sucks- but if I dont spend the cap- whats the difference? I have time to grab a few solid D prospects too to guarantee the succession- lol! Thoughts??

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Talk me off the Subban ledge...

Just so we're clear, PK Subban would take up nearly 10% of your cap for the next 2 seasons? If so, Don't do that.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Subban is an absolutely abysmal pick. He is very likely among the worst picks you could make, short of somebody on LTIR who will never play again, but whose contract will count. If you take him, we should rename you "Dodo Failed Fighting Extinction".

Cap room is an asset. You realize that teams in real life get themselves in cap hell, and them someone else helps them get out of it? Well, willingly doing it is dumb. Let's try this:

List the first 10 D still available in alphabetical order, and I can find better options.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Im looking at Colin Miller, Josh Manson- both too expensive but good peripherals and decent point potential despite poor seasons.

McDonagh- same problem as subban
    Gardiner- another one dimensional points guy
    Schultz- see Gardiner
    Larsson- great blocks anmd hits but not much more for 4 mil
    Zadorov- 20ish points and good peripherals at 3.2
    Pelech- Zadorov type stats for 1.6
    Mahura- seems like mostly upside
    Larsson- Anaheimguy- seems like another upside pick
    Bode Wilde, ASchuldt- pure prospects

Thank you in advance- really on unfamiliar ground here...

Pelech of that list, and it's not really close.

For Subban to be a better value than Pelech, he needs to do this: 100 points, 750 blocks, 600 hits. I think he's unlikely to surpass all of that for the rest of his career in total - forget just next year.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree with Pelech or if not, then Anaheim Larsson.
    If Manson is too expensive, then you shouldn't even want to think about Subban. He will tank your team right off the barn you didn't want Price's contract even though his stats are solid. Subban has a very similar contract but with bad stats.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm not familiar with your league set-up so I'll let others chime in for better replacements.
    But don't fall for the Subban name and his previous exploits, because last season is the new norm imo.

The reason is simple: he's lost his explosiveness. He used to create separation on the ice and open up lanes because of his mobility, but he doesn't do that anymore.
    Is it because of injuries, age, lack of training? Who knows, the reality is that he's lost a step on the ice and has become an average player who's paid like a number 1 dman.
    Which is disappointing because he used to be a very exciting player to watch.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Stud

19 other GM’s “passing” through 21 rounds - might also say something...
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ninja

In a cap league, your big contracts MUST perform, otherwise, you will lose. Pass on PK. Like the others have said, Pelech is good and I also like Zadorov for his massive hits and really good penalty minutes.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    In a cap league, your big contracts MUST perform, otherwise, you will lose. Pass on PK. Like the others have said, Pelech is good and I also like Zadorov for his massive hits and really good penalty minutes.
    Negatives for Zadorov though are the unknown new contract and the fact he was occasionally being healthy-scratched this season.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Negatives for Zadorov though are the unknown new contract and the fact he was occasionally being healthy-scratched this season.
    Crap, thanks for the heads up on the Zadorov contract - I own him in one league and haven't looked at next year!

One thing I forgot:

You are on a ledge. Emus are flightless. Get down from there!

Dobber Sports Jedi

think 10 points per $10 million -

Pelech will give you $10 per million if not more. He basically has to give you 16pts to be worth his salary

Subban 3-5 per million. He needs to give you at least 60pts and that only brings him to .67 pts/$1m

Not to mention Pelech gives better hits/blocks

It's not
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4