Thread: 4 first round pick, who do i drop?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default 4 first round pick, who do i drop?

Hello everyone. I tried to put most of my league info in my signature.

With 11 GM the cap is very low so cap friendly contract are worth a lot more.

I have been rebuilding fore 2 years. I have targeted front loaded contract like McDavid, Mathews, Marner who will cost a lot less in 2yrs when I want to win.

I need prospect that will give me the best production while on ELC in 2/3 yrs for now when my big contract are in their prime.

For example I have Andreas Johnsson 3.5m next yrs is cheap but I think I can get just as much pts if not better by a Rookie on ELC so I will try to trade him but will prob end up dropping him.

I also have Tavares in spares because i dont have the cap space for his 12m. 8m in 2 yrs not bad but getting older.

So I have 4 pick # 2,3,6,9 and other then A.Johnsson I dont know who to drop. My entire lineup is in the signature and I am looking for the prospect on ELC that will give me the most pts in 2/3ish yrs.

I hope this is not too confusing looking forwad to ear you guys oppinions and what you think.

Thanks !
    Roster 12 Forwards 6 D and 2 Goalies. Also have 2 spares ALL Keepers, Pts only.

Cap follows NHL and we go by total Salary.

Second Rebuilding year.

Forward: McDavid 15m, Mathews 16m, Marner 16m, Rantanen 12m, Aho 12m, Barzal ?m. and 6 ELC Rookies: J.Hughes, Dach, Frost, Zegras, Turcotte, Caufield.

On Def I got: Sergachev ?m, McAvoy 4m and 4 ELC Rookies Q.Hughes, Boqvist, T.Smith and Seider. Goalie: Empty , Demko.

In Spares I have . Tavares 16m and Andreas Johnsson 5m

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: 4 first round pick, who do i drop?

First, I think you're ignoring a category of player that will help you a lot, the very productive guy on a very solid contract. Look at Teravainen versus Aho on Carolina. Aho's cost eventually gets down close to TT's cost, but TT has a very nice contract to have no matter what. You might want to see who is on a bargain salary deal that's in FA, Trocheck is one guy to look at - costs the same as Johnsson, roughly.

So you have 4 1st round picks, and need to drop 4 players to fit them in.

Tavares & Johnsson are easy drops. Then you need to figure out who your lowest rated prospect D & prospect F are; once you do that, you put the two of them & Demko into a cage match to decide who you keep, but it's probably Demko, unless there are more attractive cheap goalies available. Demko's value is highly dependent on Markstrom leaving and not being strongly replaced with the Canucks.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Contract like TT and Trochek are already taken. some teams are just filed with them ... you know middle of the pack players on good contract and average scoring. Like Danault at 3m with 50ish pts.

I will drop Johnsson and bet you someone pick him up during the season. TT is one of the better player in this league. I was hoping I could replace average player on average contract with average production for players on ELC only 1m and who knows what

kind of production I will get out of them. Keep my Cap room on reliable and more expensive contract.

Second Rebuilding year.

Forward: McDavid 15m, Mathews 16m, Marner 16m, Rantanen 12m, Aho 12m, Barzal ?m. and 6 ELC Rookies: J.Hughes, Dach, Frost, Zegras, Turcotte, Caufield.

On Def I got: Sergachev ?m, McAvoy 4m and 4 ELC Rookies Q.Hughes, Boqvist, T.Smith and Seider. Goalie: Empty , Demko.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Any thoughts to trading picks 6&9 with A. Johnsson for a roster upgrade?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Any thoughts to trading picks 6&9 with A. Johnsson for a roster upgrade?

That is a very good idea. I really need to make a trade im working on Barzal for the moment. Not sure if I should offer Jack Hughes. I want to be challenging for the top spot while Jack is still on his ELC.

In my league I would not be suprise to see a top prospect like Raymond or Stutzel still available at 6.

Second Rebuilding year.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Nolip View Post

That is a very good idea. I really need to make a trade im working on Barzal for the moment. Not sure if I should offer Jack Hughes. I want to be challenging for the top spot while Jack is still on his ELC.

In my league I would not be suprise to see a top prospect like Raymond or Stutzel still available at 6.
    earlier this year in a 16tm pool I traded Barzal & Ristolainen and acquired Hughes & Parayko. You lose a couple years production doing this... but I believe Hughes will become elite.

That said. with the season Hughes had... I'm not sure you get Barzal right now for Hughes alone. I'd see what happens if you offered a lesser prospect & 9th.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

I want nothing to do with acquiring Barzal in your league until he signs, unless you are giving non-ELC guys. You don't want to give up a useful cheap player for somebody who may simply become a drop if the contract is an issue.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I want nothing to do with acquiring Barzal in your league until he signs, unless you are giving non-ELC guys. You don't want to give up a useful cheap player for somebody who may simply become a drop if the contract is an issue.
    Thank you for your comment.

I understand why you say this and I agree. but if he signs a good contract there no way the owner trades him.

Im hoping he signs a front loaded contract like Aho or Rantanen. He would have to get paid over 12m a yr for him to become a drop.

Lou wont sign him to a bad contract. righ?

Also i have 4 first pick to replace ELC guys. Just depends witch one he ask for.

Second Rebuilding year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolip View Post
    Thank you for your comment.

I understand why you say this and I agree. but if he signs a good contract there no way the owner trades him.

Im hoping he signs a front loaded contract like Aho or Rantanen. He would have to get paid over 12m a yr for him to become a drop.

Lou wont sign him to a bad contract. righ?

Also i have 4 first pick to replace ELC guys. Just depends witch one he ask for.
    Your definition of a good contract seems to be okay with big dollars that are frontloaded, and many people will only look at the big dollars part, ignoring how the salary breaks down. This is partly due to cap hit leagues being common, and partly because people often fail to think very well.

Lou does sign players to bad contracts, but it's usually a veteran guy getting too much money, too long a term, a non-movement clause, or some combination of those.

Dobber Sports Superstar

#2: Byfield
    #3: Stutzle/Raymond (your disgression)
    #6: Drysdale/Askarov
    #9: Lapierre
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe