0 0%
  • Joe Thornton SJ

1 6.25%
  • None of the Above (Write In Vote)

2 12.50%

Thread: Vote for Masterton Trophy Winner

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Vote for Masterton Trophy Winner

The Masterton trophy is an annual award under the trusteeship of the PHWA and is given to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.

If the NHL regular season has closed its doors for 2019-20, let's take a look at what the trophy situation might look like. Next up, the come back players or players that persevered through adversity or players who got cancer/sick and didn't give up.

Last years winner was Robin Lehner NYI

This is my least favourite award. Without perseverence, no one except maybe Phil Kessel would make the NHL. I chose six finalists and readily admit that I very likely have missed a deserving player or two. Outside of McDavid, the youngest nominee is 36-years-old, which ticks off the perseverence and dedication to hockey requirements. Bouwmeester has likely played his last game, Joe Thornton (40-years-old) was a finalist last year, McDavid's knee injury was much more severe than originally thought, Kovalchuk still inspired to play at a high level at 36 and two golden oldies still contributing to their teams, Chara (43) and Smith (38). If you think there is someone I've missed, vote None of the Above and comment below.

My nominees (listed alphabetically):

Jay Bouwmeester STL (age 36) - 56-1-8-9, averaged 21:34 TOI, staple on the PK, suffered a cardiac event while on the bench during a game

Zdeno Chara BOS (43) - 68-5-9-14, averaged 21:01 TOI, big PK minutes

Ilya Kovalchuk WSH (36) - 46-10-16-26, averaged 16:58 TOI, 2:28 on the PP

Connor McDavid EDM - 64-34-63-97, if he chose the surgery option for his knee injury, he would have missed the entire season, from Gary Roberts "There's nobody that has done what Connor has done to rehabilitate himself from a serious knee injury in that period of time. Link to story about the documentary: https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/document...gery-1.4783434

Mike Smith EDM (38) - 39 games played, 19-12-6, 2.95 goals-against average, 0.902 save percentage, 1 shutout

Joe Thornton SJ (40) - averaged 15:30 TOI, 2:05 on the PP, 70-7-24-31

None of the Above - Write in, comment below

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Vote for Masterton Trophy Winner

After watching that special on McDavid and what he went through to get back to that level AND start the season is simply amazing.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Based on the season being over now. I went McDavid.

Had the season completed without interruption I would have written in Ilya Mikheyev who sliced arteries in his wrist and would have returned for the end of season and playoffs.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Monster

Bobby Ryan

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Administrator

Johnny Boychuk. Anyone else winning would be a real kick to the face.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Stephen Johns. Perseverance and dedication to hockey?? Story every bit as strong as Lehner last year. Bouwmeester had a major cardiac scare, but read again what the award stands for. With apologies to anyone else who missed more than a season with a brain injury, and worked their way back....
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Bobby Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Stephen Johns. Perseverance and dedication to hockey?? Story every bit as strong as Lehner last year. Bouwmeester had a major cardiac scare, but read again what the award stands for. With apologies to anyone else who missed more than a season with a brain injury, and worked their way back....
    I thought about Ryan, but decided against listing him. Johns, I gave quite a bit of consideration, but there are too many players whose situation I don't know enough about!

Thanks for your comments guys.

Dobber Sports Stud

I’m amazed that McDavid gets consideration. Sure, he gets a tv special and far more media coverage.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    I’m amazed that McDavid gets consideration. Sure, he gets a tv special and far more media coverage.
    Definitely true. That said, this award is simply a feel good thing. Phil Kessel gets cancer (horrible for anyone, let alone a young person in their prime) and comes back to play. What was he supposed to do, quit hockey/life or work hard to overcome life's crappy obstacles and get back to work, like thousands of other people do? Once Lehner's story came out, it was obvious he was going to get this trophy. Same for Brian Boyle. Hell, Craig Anderson got it for overcoming his wife's cancer. I wouldn't mind if they got rid of this trophy, but I don't think that will happen.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Stephen Johns here too.

14 Team H2H Cap
    G A DPTS FOW SOG STP H+B | W SV SV% GAA

C: Scheifele, Stamkos (rw), Tavares
    LW: Gaudreau, Giroux (c/rw), Labanc(rw)
    RW: Atkinson, Thompson (c), Keller (lw), Glendening (c)
    D: Klingberg, Gostisbehere, Dumba, Krug (50%), Trouba, McNabb, Gudas
    G: Holtby, Fleury, Markstrom

FARM NOTABLES:
    F: Bokk, A Thomas, Kaprizov, Dorofeyev, Mikheyev
    D: Dalhin, Beaudin, Dunn, Kylington, Harley
    G: Hart, Demko