Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting 2015 NHL Entry Draft

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Revisiting 2015 NHL Entry Draft

Let's have some fun and take a second look at the 2015 NHL Entry Draft and how teams might draft if they were able to do it all over again.

Link to the 2015 draft: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2015e.html

Here's my take on how the draft might go if we had a crystal ball:

1-Edmonton - C-Connor McDavid Edm (No.1 by Edmonton). Duh
    2-Buffalo - C-Jack Eichel Buf (No.2 by Buffalo). Double duh
    3-Arizona - R-Mikko Rantanen Col (No.10 by Colorado). Easy selection for the Yotes
    4-Toronto - R-Mitch Marner Tor (No.4 by Toronto). Status quo is a good thing for Leaf fans (including Marner)
    5-Carolina - G-Ilya Samsonov Wsh (No.22 by Washington). Constant search for No.1 is over
    6-New Jersey - D-Ivan Provorov Phi (No. 7 by Philadelphia). Devils can't pass on stud defenseman
    7-Philadelphia - C-Sebastian Aho Car (No.35 by Carolina). Disappointed on missing out on Provorov, Flyers get offensive
    8-Columbus - C-Mathew Barzal NYI (No.16 by NY Islanders). Speed demon a welcome addition to pop gun offense
    9-San Jose - L-Kyle Connor Wpg (No.17 by Winnipeg). Welcome addition to Sharks
    10-Colorado - R-Brock Boeser Van (No.23 by Vancouver). Not as good as Rantanen, but a nice fit nonetheless
    11-Florida - D-Thomas Chabot Ott (No.18 by Ottawa). Panthers happy to add offensive-minded blueliner
    12-Dallas - R-Travis Konecny Phi (No.24 by Philadelphia). Stars over the moon to nab player just starting to show his potential
    13-Boston - D-Zach Werenski CBJ (No.8 by Columbus). Can't pass on adding another defenseman
    14-Boston - R-Timo Meier SJ (No.9 by San Jose). Great stylistic fit for talented forward
    15-Boston - L-Jake DeBrusk Bos (No.14 by Boston). Bruins really like the kid
    16-NY Islanders - C-Dylan Strome Chi (No.3 by Arizona). Without Barzal, Isles seek next best C
    17-Winnipeg - C-Anthony Cirelli TB (No.72 by Tampa Bay). Hard working player is a natural fit in the Peg
    18-Ottawa - D-Noah Hanifin Cgy (No.5 by Carolina). Desperate for a top 4 blueliner, Sens settle on Hanifin
    19-Detroit - C-Pavel Zacha NJ (No.6 by New Jersey). Red Wings hope that Zacha can fulfill his potential
    20-Minnesota - L-Anthony Beauvillier NYI (No.28 by NY Islanders). Decent top 9 forward
    21-Ottawa - C-Colin White Ott (No.21 by Ottawa). Easy re-selection for Sens
    22-Washington - R-Denis Gurianov Dal (No.12 by Dallas). Talented Russian, natural fit on Caps
    23-Vancouver - C-Jack Roslovic Wpg (No.25 by Winnipeg). Canucks happy to get player just starting to show what he can do
    24-Philadelphia - L-Roope Hintz Dal (No.49 by Dallas). Essentially replaces Konecny
    25-Winnipeg - D-John Marino Pit (No.154 by Edmonton). Jets can't pass on defender who is having a great rookie campaign
    26-Montreal - R-Conor Garland Arz (No.123 by Arizona). Garland just starting to show his offensive chops (22 goals in 68 games this season)
    27-Anaheim - G-Mackenzie Blackwood NJ (No.42 by New Jersey). Would slot in as Gibson's back-up/injury replacement - Ryan Miller can't play forever
    28-NY Islanders - L-Lawson Crouse Arz (No.11 by Florida). Hard working player replaces Beauvillier on the Island
    29-Columbus - D-Vince Dunn Stl (No.56 by St Louis). Without Werenski, BJ's look to another offensive defenseman
    30-Arizona - C-Adam Gaudette Van (No.149 by Vancouver). Gaudette is just starting to show what he can do offensively

Agree/disagree with my list? What would you do differently? Feel free to comment below or post your list/order.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Revisiting 2015 NHL Entry Draft

I'm trying not to be bias, I think a strong case could be made to flip Marner & Rantanen. They're almost interchangeable IMO. Almost a preference choice for Arz.

Conor Garland I would move up with Cirelli. I'm on his hype train. He's going to explode over the next couple of years. If I'm WPG or OTT.. I want to be on the right side of Garland

Outside of my comment on Garland #19 - #30 you could make arguments to move them around almost at will as they're still trying to establish themselves.

I think if we revisit this in another 4 years Zacha will be moved close to the top 10. Implement Big-Man Theory here ___ his breakout is coming. #2021-22
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

If we know now, what we knew then, I dont see guys like Zacha or Crouse going in this first round. Both have been massive misses.

I could see guys like Ethan Bear, Andrew Mangiapane and even Rasmus Andersson going ahead of those two. That would be a change I'd make if I were doing this list.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I'm trying not to be bias, I think a strong case could be made to flip Marner & Rantanen. They're almost interchangeable IMO. Almost a preference choice for Arz.

Conor Garland I would move up with Cirelli. I'm on his hype train. He's going to explode over the next couple of years. If I'm WPG or OTT.. I want to be on the right side of Garland

Outside of my comment on Garland #19 - #30 you could make arguments to move them around almost at will as they're still trying to establish themselves.

I think if we revisit this in another 4 years Zacha will be moved close to the top 10. Implement Big-Man Theory here ___ his breakout is coming. #2021-22
    The deciding factor for me (and Arizona? lol) was Rantanen's size.

I can't disagree with what you say about Garland - I know very little about him and should watch some games of his to gauge his talent level - is this year just a flash in the pan or a sign of things to come? It sure looks like he's an up and comer.

I was a huge fan of Zacha at the time he was drafted. I do think that you could be right about a future breakout coming for him.

Thanks for your comments!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If we know now, what we knew then, I dont see guys like Zacha or Crouse going in this first round. Both have been massive misses.

I could see guys like Ethan Bear, Andrew Mangiapane and even Rasmus Andersson going ahead of those two. That would be a change I'd make if I were doing this list.
    Zacha still has potential and that will likely sway a team enough to take him late in the first round. Crouse to me, is clearly settling into a top 9 (3rd line) role and some teams are happy to take that.

Bear and Mangiapane literally just missed (31 & 32) my cut.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Zacha still has potential and that will likely sway a team enough to take him late in the first round. Crouse to me, is clearly settling into a top 9 (3rd line) role and some teams are happy to take that.

Bear and Mangiapane literally just missed (31 & 32) my cut.
    I'm not trying to come off as argumentative (sorry if it comes off that way) but I am looking at todays production, not potential. If I am re-drafting today, it's on what I know and what I know is guys like Zacha and Crouse are not very good right now. Not 1st round quality to me. Zacha was almost in the KHL this past year if I am not mistaken. If potential was your main consideration, how did Kaprizov not make your list. His potential is better than a lot of guys on this list.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'm not trying to come off as argumentative (sorry if it comes off that way) but I am looking at todays production, not potential. If potential was your main consideration, how did Kaprizov not make your list. His potential is better than a lot of guys on this list.
    You are not coming off as argumentative at all! I'm trying to hit 500 posts this month, so I feel like by commenting on everything I can, I might have a shot!!

Lists are tough. It's not easy to put players in order and we all have our own opinions and none of us are right/wrong with the order.

To be honest, I didn't give Kaprizov any consideration as I'm not sure if he'll play in the NHL. Plenty of point per game players in the KHL aren't nearly as good when they make the trip over. If his path was clear, I think he would deserve a spot in the first round.

Appreciate your feedback.

Dobber Sports Deity

You are not coming off as argumentative at all! I'm trying to hit 500 posts this month, so I feel like by commenting on everything I can, I might have a shot!!

Lists are tough. It's not easy to put players in order and we all have our own opinions and none of us are right/wrong with the order.

To be honest, I didn't give Kaprizov any consideration as I'm not sure if he'll play in the NHL. Plenty of point per game players in the KHL aren't nearly as good when they make the trip over. If his path was clear, I think he would deserve a spot in the first round.

Appreciate your feedback.
    Gotcha. Sorry, i had to edit my last post a couple times after other thoughts came into my head so it was longer than what you quoted.

Dobber Sports Jedi

The deciding factor for me (and Arizona? lol) was Rantanen's size.

I can't disagree with what you say about Garland - I know very little about him and should watch some games of his to gauge his talent level - is this year just a flash in the pan or a sign of things to come? It sure looks like he's an up and comer.

I was a huge fan of Zacha at the time he was drafted. I do think that you could be right about a future breakout coming for him.

Thanks for your comments!
    He's 6'3" 210lb. If you dive into big-man theory ... as Dobber did in the last guide

At the beginning of 21/22 season he'll have 340+ gp in his career.
    400 gp seems to be the key marker for players over 6'2" &/or 215lbs - same as 4th year for most other players.

His value right now is so low he can just be claimed on waivers. I'm not arguing he'll be an 80pt player.. but 55-65pts with FOW & some decent hit totals. makes him a really attractive option.

Dobber Sports Deity

Just taking a quick look at the names and what they have done to this point in the league vs upside, I'd probably go with something like this:

1 Edmonton - Connor McDavid
    2 Buffalo - Jack Eichel
    3 Arizona - Mikko Rantanen
    4 Toronto - Mitch Marner
    5 Carolina - Ilya Samsonov
    6 New Jersey - Sebastion Aho
    7 Philadelphia - Ivan Provorov
    8 Columbus - Kyle Connor
    9 San Jose - Zach Werenski
    10 Colorado - Timo Meier
    11 Florida - Thomas Chabot
    12 Dallas - Brock Boeser
    13 Boston - Mat Barzal
    14 Boston - Anthony Cirelli
    15 Boston - Noah Hanifin
    16 New York Islanders - Dylan Strome
    17 Winnipeg - Jake Debrusk
    18 Ottawa - Connor Garland
    19 Detroit - Anthony Beauvillier
    20 Minnesota - Vince Dunn
    21 Ottawa - Denis Gurianov
    22 Washington - Colin White
    23 Vancouver - Markus Nutivaara (very underrated D player)
    24 Philadelphia - Andrew Mangiapane
    25 Winnipeg - Travis Dermott
    26 Montreal - John Marino
    27 Anaheim - Ethan Bear
    28 NY Islanders - Adam Gaudette
    29 Columbus - Mathieu Joseph
    30 Arizona - Brandon Carlo

I dont know, those are the kids I like the most. A few different names compared to The Comish's but not too far off I'd say. Guys like Blackwood, Andersson and even Jordan Greenway are just off my list. You're right though Russ, it's more of a personal opinion and liking of certain players vs dislike I guess.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I really like seeing the Flyers players up higher in the order than originally selected. This appears to have been a very good first round for the Flyers.

Thanks for doing this!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I really like seeing the Flyers players up higher in the order than originally selected. This appears to have been a very good first round for the Flyers.

Thanks for doing this!
    and goes to show how poorly Boston drafted that 1st round. They're a top team now... man - they would have been absolutely elite had they taken Barzal - Connor - Chabot.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I do not believe in a re-draft Carolina passes on Aho. He's their clear best player and probably one of the 20 best forwards in the league right now. #1C is more valuable than #1G IMO. Otherwise, it's a solid list.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I do not believe in a re-draft Carolina passes on Aho. He's their clear best player and probably one of the 20 best forwards in the league right now. #1C is more valuable than #1G IMO. Otherwise, it's a solid list.
    I actually had Aho going to Carolina again, but looked at their goaltending situation and thought they could really use a goalie who looks like he has strong No.1 potential. Hard to argue with you on the 1C > 1G (I agree), but now that they have Trocheck, I think it's something they might take a chance on. I also might be overvaluing goaltenders.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I think both are rare and hard to find so either player to them makes sense IMO.