Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Wrestlemania

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Wrestlemania

I haven't followed wrestling very much at all for a long time, but through hockey adjacency I have a minor eye on it. My thoughts:

1) Cena coming back was good, because him and The Rock have beef, but Austin would have been better to come back over Taker (although hard to ever be mad about a impromptu Undertaker return)

2) The back to back to back etc interventions was honestly pretty ridiculous.

3) Doesn't the belt holder almost always turn heel, especially if they're a long time champ? They start doing dirty stuff to prolong their reign, crowd turns, eventually babyface de-thrones? I feel like that's the common trope.

4) How do people who paid for the PPV feel about the fact that I basically watched the entire main event on twitter through clips posted to the official WWE page?

5) The Rock calling himself the Final Boss is dumb AF.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    ***Spoilers***

I did not expect Cody to win. Crazy that it's been well over 3 years since Roman has been without the title. It was long winded, but I enjoyed it. I like Cena showing up but Stone Cold would have been epic with The Rock and one of his famous sells of a stunner. When The Shield Music hit I was REALLY hoping for an Ambrose appearance, which would have been epic. I thought the Undertaker was unnecessary. Overall it was a slow beginning, but I like how it ended.

Not sure where Reigns goes from here. I expect he will take some time off. Not sure he comes back as a heel or not. I think with him not having the belt, the heel doesn't work as well.

It was a solid event. I love Zayn beating Gunther and was hands down the match of the event for me. There were quite a few really good matches and not many duds. I give both nights a solid 7.5 out of 10.

Rylant
    Yaaaa I'm confused why it was Undertaker over Austin. I still loved the ending as I'm a sucker for returns.

It was quite an epic run for Reigns. I thought his reign, character and arrogance were pretty frigging awesome. I'm sure you're right about him taking time off. Return for Summerslam... Set up him vs Rock next year finally.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Yaaaa I wouldn't be surprised to see Rhodes turn heel eventually.

And yes it's ridiculous how easily and quickly you can find videos on Twitter.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Apparently Austin wanted too much money. That’s just a rumor though AFAIK.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I haven't followed wrestling very much at all for a long time, but through hockey adjacency I have a minor eye on it. My thoughts:

1) Cena coming back was good, because him and The Rock have beef, but Austin would have been better to come back over Taker (although hard to ever be mad about a impromptu Undertaker return)

2) The back to back to back etc interventions was honestly pretty ridiculous.

3) Doesn't the belt holder almost always turn heel, especially if they're a long time champ? They start doing dirty stuff to prolong their reign, crowd turns, eventually babyface de-thrones? I feel like that's the common trope.

4) How do people who paid for the PPV feel about the fact that I basically watched the entire main event on twitter through clips posted to the official WWE page?

5) The Rock calling himself the Final Boss is dumb AF.
    Honestly, I think faces work better chasing a championship and heels work better holding onto a belt. Historically they have done some good face championship runs, but I think it takes more creative writing. Also, guys who are sort of dark and shady even when being a face, have an easier time with long reign. Stone Cold was always in your face and a dick, even when he was a face. Same with the Rock. Roman Reigns was a terrible face and a less-terrible heel.

Honestly with the Twitter thing I am not sure the overall affect it has. I know thar most people who want to watch just subscribe to WWE for 10 or 15 bucks a month to get the PPVs for free. I am not sure how many people don't subscribe and get the PPV. I would be interested in seeing the numbers. I don't know of WWE makes less now that the monthly subscription includes the PPVs, or if they made more when there was no monthly subscription, but you had to get all the PPVs.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Honestly, I think faces work better chasing a championship and heels work better holding onto a belt. Historically they have done some good face championship runs, but I think it takes more creative writing. Also, guys who are sort of dark and shady even when being a face, have an easier time with long reign. Stone Cold was always in your face and a dick, even when he was a face. Same with the Rock. Roman Reigns was a terrible face and a less-terrible heel.

Honestly with the Twitter thing I am not sure the overall affect it has. I know thar most people who want to watch just subscribe to WWE for 10 or 15 bucks a month to get the PPVs for free. I am not sure how many people don't subscribe and get the PPV. I would be interested in seeing the numbers. I don't know of WWE makes less now that the monthly subscription includes the PPVs, or if they made more when there was no monthly subscription, but you had to get all the PPVs.

Rylant
    Faces are definitely better when chasing. It just lends so much more to the story. They always go through this progression. Rhodes will hold it for a few months and then lose to the next big heel. Maybe Gunther.

I do find it crazy that they just post the full videos everywhere.

I got lucky and won SportsnetNow subscription on roll up the rim so I watched it on there.