Thread: Sell high on Hellebuyck? [REP]

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Sell high on Hellebuyck? [REP]

Evansville Icemen team in the sig.

I've got Hellebuyck and Price pegged as 2 of my 9 keepers.

I've got Gibson and Merzlikins as spares who I was thinking of dropping and I also have Shesterkin (NYR) on the farm who needs to be called up to my main roster next year.

Thinking this a good opportunity to sell high on Hellebuyck for a solid forward in return, knowing that goalies are voodoo and his value will probably never be higher.

What type of player would you expect in return?

Would you be comfortable going into next season with Price & Shesterkin and maybe one of Gibson or Merzlikins?
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Administrator

Default Re: Sell high on Hellebuyck? [REP]

I would do some shopping and involve all of your goalies in potential deals. Unless you're getting an outstanding return you're not actually selling high. Maybe your best deal involves one of your other goalies instead.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I would do some shopping and involve all of your goalies in potential deals. Unless you're getting an outstanding return you're not actually selling high. Maybe your best deal involves one of your other goalies instead.
    I second this. You can't know exactly who values what goalie how much.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks folks.

I will definitely shop them around and see what kind of valuations I can get from all my players.

Reason I've highlighted Hellebuyck is because I already have good understand of the GM's in my league and who they would value most.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Hellebuyck's pattern of success one year and than mediocrity the next is a perfect situation for you to sell him high this year... and then buy him back cheap at this time next year.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think the goalies being voodoo part is a big factor in this. Goalies are so volatile and if you're in a shallow enough league and you keep your ear to the ground all season, you can end up with a guy like Merzlikins who carries your team all year. i used to be a big supporter of the strategy of drafting your goalies early and starting a goalie rush, and picking up value forwards later. But I feel like with all of the changes to the game has resulted in a much tougher time for goalies that i do the opposite now.

I think it's pretty smart to sell high. Also keeping 2 goalies out of 9 slots seems like a lot, unless you don't have anyone else better to keep.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I think the goalies being voodoo part is a big factor in this. Goalies are so volatile and if you're in a shallow enough league and you keep your ear to the ground all season, you can end up with a guy like Merzlikins who carries your team all year. i used to be a big supporter of the strategy of drafting your goalies early and starting a goalie rush, and picking up value forwards later. But I feel like with all of the changes to the game has resulted in a much tougher time for goalies that i do the opposite now.

I think it's pretty smart to sell high. Also keeping 2 goalies out of 9 slots seems like a lot, unless you don't have anyone else better to keep.
    Thanks.

My value of skaters drops significantly after my 7 keepers.

Also, the GM's in my league have a pattern of only keeping 1 goalie and then re-drafting one in the first 2 rounds.

Because of that I've been able to pick up 1 or 2 quality skaters in the first two rounds by not having to re-draft or reach for goalies earlier on.

But yes, keeping just Price and drafting a goalie later on, along with calling up Shesterkin is an option.

Would give me a clear 1A in Price, and the way things were trending with Shesterkin another potential 1A, 1B at worst.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Jedi

Isn't Price more voodoo over the past three years than Helle ?

I'd shop both and take the best deal. I'd probably prefer to keep Helle TBH.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Isn't Price more voodoo over the past three years than Helle ?

I'd shop both and take the best deal. I'd probably prefer to keep Helle TBH.
    Totally, but i'm in a Montreal fan based hockey pool, ain't nobody touching Price unless it's at a discount price lol

I guess the way I see it is I have the luxury of having 3 bonafide goalies going into next year (Price, Helle, Shesterkin) who are probably going to eat in to each other's starts.

If I can move Hellebuyck, who is the most attractive to the GM's in my pool, i'm probably going to be able to get a good skater back.

I'm just unsure of what kind of skater is should I expect in return, is something like Stamkos to little, or should I be aiming for like an Rantanen.

I always have a hard time comparing goalie values to skater values, it's not as easy as looking at fantasy points.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Totally, but i'm in a Montreal fan based hockey pool, ain't nobody touching Price unless it's at a discount price lol

I guess the way I see it is I have the luxury of having 3 bonafide goalies going into next year (Price, Helle, Shesterkin) who are probably going to eat in to each other's starts.

If I can move Hellebuyck, who is the most attractive to the GM's in my pool, i'm probably going to be able to get a good skater back.

I'm just unsure of what kind of skater is should I expect in return, is something like Stamkos to little, or should I be aiming for like an Rantanen.

I always have a hard time comparing goalie values to skater values, it's not as easy as looking at fantasy points.
    With your settings - FOW, SOG, TRUC - Stamkos is the better own of the two - he also goes pt-pt with Rantanen. If you could get Stamkos - that's what I would do. 500 FOW from the wing is a huge bonus.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

If you can get a high-end forward like Stamkos or Rantanen then I'd go for that. I just don't know if other teams will be willing to do that. That's why I was saying you should be open to trades involving your other goalies too. In the end what you really want is to win the trade and end up with a better team.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust