Thread: Multi-cat Cap Dynasty Roster: Defensemen - give me your thoughts

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Multi-cat Cap Dynasty Roster: Defensemen - give me your thoughts

I was planning on doing this at some point when the league had wrapped up, but since there's been multi-cat D discussion, and it's aslow time, I figured I'd put this out here now. Not the league in my sig. At the time the NHL paused, I had wrapped up 1st in the regular season.

12 teams, with 75 players + 5 IR spots(in-season only) each, for a total of 900 rostered players. It's weird, but only 22 (12 F, 6D, 2G, and 2 reserves any position) count towards the cap of $122.250M. So ton's of cap room, with an average of $5.55M per active roster spot. Any real-life star who is just passable in fantasy will be owned.

The rest of the roster is your minors, and players who make 3M or less can go up & down without having to clear waivers, over that, any team can claim someone you demote and put them in their active 22. It happens a couple times a year.

Categories are 6/4 skater/goalie: G, A, P, SOG, PIM, (H+B) and W, SV%, GAA, SHO. Daily moves.

Currently I have 5 guys on IR, and there's a 5 round draft, so I will need to free up around 10 roster spots via trade or release. My current defense roster, I apologize for the formatting:

Age Yrs Salary Player
    24 5 7,500,000 Aaron Ekblad
    32 2 7,250,000 Kris Letang
    23 5 6,750,000 Ivan Provorov
    33 1 6,000,000 Alexander Edler
    26 2 5,205,556 Hampus Lindholm
    23 5 4,025,175 Marcus Pettersson*
    28 2 3,500,000 Ben Chiarot
    31 U 1,750,000 Kevin Shattenkirk
    26 R 1,600,000 MacKenzie Weegar
    25 1 1,600,000 Adam Pelech
    27 3 1,450,000 Scott Mayfield
    24 R 925,000 Vladislav Gavrikov+
    18 2 925,000 Tobias Bjornfot
    25 1 900,000 Christian Wolanin
    20 2 894,167 Evan Bouchard
    23 R 863,333 Travis Dermott
    24 R 850,000 Jimmy Schuldt
    24 1 735,000 Ryan Graves
    22 1 714,166 Filip Hronek
    25 1 700,000 Matt Roy
    26 R 700,000 Devon Toews
    24 U 700,000 Andreas Borgman

U = UFA, R = RFA, and I've bolded the guys that I think are definite keepers.

*Pettersson was making $874,125 this year, and has already signed an extension, which is noted.
    +Gavrikov is a 10.2(c) RFA which means he can't be offer sheeted, and if he doesn't get a qualify offer offer by a certain date, he becomes a UFA

I think the contracts for Dermott, Gavrikov, & Weegar are likely to be under $3M, so they would be very keepable. Toews might be under as well, but that's less certain.

Pettersson & Lindholm might be for some teams, but I don't think they are with my team structure. Schuldt, Borgman, and Wolanin I am very unsure what to do with, but any of those 5 could be part of a trade.

Thanks in advance for reading, and any replies you feel inclined to give.
    Last edited by stevegamer; March 31, 2020 at 9:59 PM. Reason: Left out total # of players on rosters, added clarity.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Multi-cat Cap Dynasty Roster: Defensemen - give me your thoughts

Ekblad - trade -- he is the one that stands out as prime trade candidate. He just isn't worth his 7.5m
    Edler - trade -- he started to show some age in the latter half of the year. Still has MC value but PP1 is gone. His trade value is on the decline. Now or never. IMO - frees up 6m as well
    Lindholm - trade/drop -- I want him in real life. He just doesn't do enough of anything for me to want to keep him in a 12tm
    Shattenkirk - trade/drop -- if he leaves TB he loses value

Mayfield - I know you have him bolded, but he's your 3rd Islander Dman - least valuable of the 3 IMO. I'd trade him.

Gavrikov - pretty replaceable stat-lines.
    Wolanin - drop-able
    Borgman - drop
    Schuldt - drop/trade - if you can get a pick for him - take it.. Someone should be desperate for a Dman with upside
    Dermott - trade/drop - would be my 10th option. Just not a 'wow' dman.

Are there any forwards that could be worked in as potential drops?

RE: Toews - One hopes Lou learned from his bridge with Pulock & he just locks Toews up for 5+ years. If he does that you're going to have him making over 4m on that contract. 20-21 will be a hard year to hold him cap wise but he should become a value Dman by the middle of a longer term deal.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like Toews, and Provorov for you. Chariot as well. I agree with Luca with moving Lindholm, Shattenkirk and Ekblad, Edler. What are your forwards? I think possibly dropping some forwards can get you to the 10 spots you need

Thanks for the replies. I clearly needed to do more editing before I posted it, as I wasn't clear about a few things.

1. This league rosters a total of 900 players, I now made that clear.
    2. The cap is only for your 22 active/reserve players, so there's a ton of room for the cap limit.
    3. The team had wrapped up the #1 playoff seed, but playoffs hadn't started at time of pause, so I am definitely in contending mode, now that I got the team rebuilt after takeover.

My forwards, since you asked:
    Noel Acciari
    Anthony Beauvillier
    Jamie Benn
    Blake Coleman
    Phillip Danault
    Warren Foegele
    Filip Forsberg
    Patric Hornqvist
    Calle Jarnkrok
    Anze Kopitar
    Auston Matthews
    Brock Nelson
    Martin Frk
    Matt Calvert
    Filip Zadina
    Mikhail Abramov
    Andreas Athanasiou
    Emil Bemstrom
    Jeremy Bracco
    William Carrier
    Jake DeBrusk
    Pierre Engvall
    Trey Fix-Wolansky
    Barclay Goodrow
    Benoit-Olivier Groulx
    Filip Hallander
    Brett Howden
    Jan Jenik
    Boone Jenner
    Ethan Keppen
    Rasmus Kupari
    Sean Kuraly
    Sam Lafferty
    Blake Lizotte
    Kirill Maksimov
    Trevor Moore
    Ivan Morozov
    Serron Noel
    Sheldon Rempal
    Antoine Roussel
    Oskar Sundqvist
    Evgeny Svechnikov
    Akil Thomas
    Frank Vatrano
    Chris Wagner

Goalies:
    Thomas Greiss
    Matt Murray
    Anders Nilsson
    Collin Delia
    Brian Elliott
    Ilya Konovalov
    Curtis McElhinney
    Elvis Merzlikins
    James Reimer
    Gilles Senn
    Igor Shesterkin
    Alex Stalock
    Adam Werner

The huge roster makes it very different. 75 players per roster broken down by starter ration ends up around 42-22-8 F-D-G, I am at 45-22-13 now, because my goalies have had (ahem) issues since I took over. So much better now.

My tentative plan is:
    1. Dump some of the AHL fringe goalies I had to grab (every guy who has played in the NHL this year is rostered), but likely not all.

2. Clear the overpriced & fringe defenders out, with the help here. I know I need to replenish them annually, so I expect 4 of these guys to go, at least.
    I think I have trouble sorting out defense prospects. I try to only draft 1-2 a year as they are hard to figure.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Ekblad - trade -- he is the one that stands out as prime trade candidate. He just isn't worth his 7.5m
    Edler - trade -- he started to show some age in the latter half of the year. Still has MC value but PP1 is gone. His trade value is on the decline. Now or never. IMO - frees up 6m as well
    Lindholm - trade/drop -- I want him in real life. He just doesn't do enough of anything for me to want to keep him in a 12tm
    Shattenkirk - trade/drop -- if he leaves TB he loses value

Mayfield - I know you have him bolded, but he's your 3rd Islander Dman - least valuable of the 3 IMO. I'd trade him.

Gavrikov - pretty replaceable stat-lines.
    Wolanin - drop-able
    Borgman - drop
    Schuldt - drop/trade - if you can get a pick for him - take it.. Someone should be desperate for a Dman with upside
    Dermott - trade/drop - would be my 10th option. Just not a 'wow' dman.

Are there any forwards that could be worked in as potential drops?

RE: Toews - One hopes Lou learned from his bridge with Pulock & he just locks Toews up for 5+ years. If he does that you're going to have him making over 4m on that contract. 20-21 will be a hard year to hold him cap wise but he should become a value Dman by the middle of a longer term deal.
    Edler will have no value, because last year before I leaned into going for it, the offers for Letang were iffy prospects and 2nd-3rd round picks. I'd be lucky to get a prospect or pick for him. Also, based on Fantrax's "Score" metric - he's the #12 D this year.

Ekblad might have value, but honestly he was a target of mine, when he became available. I wanted to get younger & better on D. I view him as a major upgrade on the Lindholm/Shattenkirk class of D.

Will try and shop Lindholm, and Shattenkirk if he leaves Tampa and/or is too expensive. I acquired him cheaply (Ceci & dropping a few spots late in upcoming draft) after he got bought out and went to Tampa. I should be able to get something for them.

Given that you think Dermott is my 10th d-man, he's a keeper for sure. There's no way I am rostering under 15 defenders out of 75, and probably closer to 20.
    Gavrikov is sort of replaceable, and I got him off the wire, but if he's cheap, he's a good value. And as a super-restricted RFA who can't be offer sheeted, I suspect he'll be cheap enough.
    Toews I could keep in my minors all year and simply ignore his cap hit/existence until he develops well enough to stick on the main roster.

Once thing start back up, I will see if there's any interest in Wolanin/Schuldt. I suspect Borgman is a straight drop, as I inherited him, and he's barely survived my prior roster purges.

I added my forwards in the post above this, and have some who are probably drop-worthy after their new contract. Sadly, no rep for lucafen, as I need to spread more arund first.