Thread: Another Who are my Keepers

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Another Who are my Keepers

Hey all. Hope everyone is safe.

Did this a while back but had mentioned who I thought my keepers were and there have been a few changes to my lineup. This time I'll just list all my players.

Keep 12 points only (goals, assists, wins, shutouts) Cap league. Keep 7 forwards, 4 defensemen and 1 goalie. We use the NHL's cap and use AAV.

Some league background. 4th year this season. Won 1st year and this year. Cap league so still good high salary players left to be drafted (to name a few : Marner, Matthews, P. Kane, Stone, Ehlers, Reilly Smith, Giroux). Last draft I actually picked Carlson in round 4 and McDavid in round 5 (yup. Knowing my league. Calculated risk. Had been owned and dropped every year cause of his salary). Last year we protected 11 instead of twelve with highest protected list of around $59M and me with the lowest of around $41M.

McDavid $12,5M (6 years left)
    Eichel $10 (6)
    Malkin $9,5 (2)
    Crosby $8,7 (5)
    O'Reilly $7,5 (3)
    Pastrnak $6,6 (3)
    Debrincat $6,4 (3)
    Huberdeau $5,9 (3)
    J. Hughes $3,78 (2)
    Robert Thomas $1,17 (1)
    Zadina $1,7 (2)
    Hall (ufa)
    Mantha (rfa)
    Barzal (rfa)
    Labanc (rfa)

Carlson $8 (6)
    Theodore $5,2 (5)
    Q. Hughes $1,6 (1)
    Hronek $0,91 (1)
    A. Boqvist $1,7 (2)
    Gustafsson (ufa)
    Walker (rfa)
    Toews (rfa)

Hart $0,863 (1)
    Saros $1,5 (1)
    Jarry (rfa)

Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Another Who are my Keepers

Eichel $10 (6)
    Crosby $8,7 (5)
    Pastrnak $6,6 (3)
    Debrincat $6,4 (3)
    Huberdeau $5,9 (3)
    J. Hughes $3,78 (2)
    Robert Thomas $1,17 (1)

Carlson $8 (6)
    Theodore $5,2 (5)
    Q. Hughes $1,6 (1)
    Hronek $0,91 (1)

Hart $0,863 (1)

These are my guys.
    I hate to let McDavid go, but it sounds like you should be able to replace him (salary and production) fairly easily.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I hate to let McDavid go, but it sounds like you should be able to replace him (salary and production) fairly easily.
    If I decide not to protect him and try to trade him, what do you think would be an acceptable return pick wise? 3rd round? 2nd? 1st?

If I don't trade him would you draft him 1st round if available next season? If not available would you pick a Marner, Matthews, Kane or would you go for a lower salary pick like Fiala or Ehlers?

I know this is all hypothetical and influenced by other GM's protection lists and whatever players are drafted before my turn (I pick 7th then 14th etc), but still curious to know what your strategy would be.

Anyone else want to weigh in?
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary

Dobber Sports Jedi

That all depends on how much $$ you have per empty roster spot going into the draft.

If drafting an 11 or 12m player is going to leave you scrimping for ELC's the rest of your draft - you'll be better off skipping the expensive contract.
    If you have 3-4m per player left over per roster spot then taking an expensive contract won't be such a hindrance

Personally, I'd keep McDavid over Eichel. I think there's a large enough gap to justify the extra 2.5m expenditure.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

I think I would let him slide a round or two, assuming there's a few other guys like Kane also available.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Forwards:
    Only one of: McDavid $12,5M (6 years left) or Eichel $10 (6)

Crosby $8,7 (5)
    Pastrnak $6,6 (3)
    Debrincat $6,4 (3)
    Huberdeau $5,9 (3)
    J. Hughes $3,78 (2)
    Robert Thomas $1,17 (1)
    The UFA/RFA guys are in play depending on contracts.

Defense: I agree with EB fully here:
    Carlson $8 (6)
    Theodore $5,2 (5)
    Q. Hughes $1,6 (1)
    Hronek $0,91 (1)

Goalie: Two good options, I'd lean Hart, but Saros may be the clear starter by the time we see when everything becomes clear. This is where you can look to get a very good pick in return.
    Hart $0,863 (1)
    Saros $1,5 (1)
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Forwards:
    Only one of: McDavid $12,5M (6 years left) or Eichel $10 (6)

Crosby $8,7 (5)
    Pastrnak $6,6 (3)
    Debrincat $6,4 (3)
    Huberdeau $5,9 (3)
    J. Hughes $3,78 (2)
    Robert Thomas $1,17 (1)
    The UFA/RFA guys are in play depending on contracts.

Defense: I agree with EB fully here:
    Carlson $8 (6)
    Theodore $5,2 (5)
    Q. Hughes $1,6 (1)
    Hronek $0,91 (1)

Goalie: Two good options, I'd lean Hart, but Saros may be the clear starter by the time we see when everything becomes clear. This is where you can look to get a very good pick in return.
    Hart $0,863 (1)
    Saros $1,5 (1)
    I would go Hart.

I'm a big Ingram fan. I think he walks in and steals the job from Saros in a couple years.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

With so many high-cost but also high-talent guys likely available in your draft, I think I'd for the most part be emphasizing cap efficiency here.

McDavid
    Crosby
    Pastrnak
    Huberdeau
    Zadina
    Thomas
    DeBrincat

Carlson
    Boqvist (About to take over as CHI's #1 D)
    Hughes
    Hronek

Hart

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I would go Hart.

I'm a big Ingram fan. I think he walks in and steals the job from Saros in a couple years.
    I can see that, but I think Saros should net him something, since Saros has got the job now, and has shown he can play at the NHL level.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. Some good stuff got me to analyse deeper.

McDavid vs Eichel : For a while I was thinking of keeping both but everyone pretty much pointed me in the right direction. Between the two I think McDavid will be my keeper. I love Eichel, have drafted and redrafted him since beginning of this pool, but I think McDavid's upside and average any year cannot be replaced, but Eichel's could be by guys like Marner, Matthews etc. which are free agents in my league so I should be able to draft one of them either as a starter or on farm team as a replacement in case of injury.

Hart vs Saros : Hart has been my keeper since day one. I traded for him in the last offseason for peanuts (10th rounder last draft + 8th rounder upcoming draft). Saros was my last pick-up at trade deadline as an insurance for the final stretch and possible trade bait in the off season. Since year one, GMs had been protecting $5-6M sure keepers but I think I might have started a new trend, so someone might be interested in Saros.

@jshed2 : Zadina and Boqvist are 2 players I think can be good quality low salary picks, I just think that they should be easier to redraft than J. Hughes and Theodore. I would have looked into possibly trading Hughes but with his season that would be selling him at his lowest. The upside is there so lets just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Will be shopping around some players in the off season but trades are not abundant or easy in my league. I did manage that trade for Hart and got DeBrincat for a 3rd rounder this season which I hope will end up being a buy low win. Had a huge lead at trade deadline so I was also able to trade my Josi and Elvis for a 3rd and 7th rounder. So I've basically upgraded my 3rd rounder for a better one and my 8th for a 7th all the while obtaining Hart and DeBrincat. I think I did pretty good.

Now with all that's going on I am curious to see what the cap will be next season and how it will affect my rfa and ufa contracts.

Thanks all. If anyone else has suggestions/thoughts/input please let me know. Always good to see other people's ideas and reasoning.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I can see that, but I think Saros should net him something, since Saros has got the job now, and has shown he can play at the NHL level.
    Oh for sure... shop shop shop. Anyone not keeping.. you never know who someone else might be really high on.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Oh for sure... shop shop shop. Anyone not keeping.. you never know who someone else might be really high on.
    Always shop players but pretty hard to make trades in my league. I'm more often than not the one pushing for trades. Put Jack Hughes on the market and no interest from anyone whatsoever. Same for McDavid.