Thread: Kotkaniemi vs Bjorkstrand: who's my last keeper?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Kotkaniemi vs Bjorkstrand: who's my last keeper?

First of all, I hope everyone is safe and that you're not too affected by this whole coronavirus situation. And most of all, I hope you're staying home and practicing social distancing!

Now, let's talk hockey to change our minds.

I know that Kotkaniemi and Bjorkstrand were going in opposite directions this season. At the moment, I'm hesitating between these two as my last keeper in my points-only league in signature and here's my reasoning. KK still has value among our GMs since we're based in Montreal, so homer bias is at play here. At the same time, I believe this prospect can rebound. Many high-end players were not even in the league at 19 and Kotkaniemi put up 34 points in the NHL at 18 years old + he also torched the AHL when he was sent down. On the other end, I really like Bjorkstrand and scouted him several games to confirm his break-out (he's legit), but I'm pretty sure he's flying under the radar in my league. I own the 6th and 7th picks overall in our redraft (rookies and non-protected players) and I have a very good chance of picking this player back. So I would be gambling a bit here on Bjorkstrand, but I could retain KK for an extra year, see how his development goes and even enhance his value in my league.

Am I overthinking this and should I keep the most proven asset (Bjorkstrand) over a 3rd pick overall prospect? Do you have a case to make for KK or should you talk some sense into me? Sorry if the answer is obvious, I think I have time to spare and a craving for hockey discussions...

REP for your great insight.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Kotkaniemi vs Bjorkstrand: who's my last keeper?

I'll take Bjorkstrand here 10/10 times
    I think Kotkan will become a solid fantasy asset, but Bjork is turning into a game-breaking goal scorer.
    Give me the guy on the brink of becoming a 40g scorer
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

KK might be a nice later sleeper pick in a redraft

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

As long as Julien is coaching Montreal, I'm not interested in Kotkaniemi in the slightest.

Give me Bjorkstrand.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Kotkaniemi has some nice upside but Bjorkstrand is there right now. Is trading allowed before you submit your keepers? If so you might be able to get another decent pick for next year that can help you be more competitive.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Titan

Bjorkstrand would be my pick.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    First of all, I hope everyone is safe and that you're not too affected by this whole coronavirus situation. And most of all, I hope you're staying home and practicing social distancing!

Now, let's talk hockey to change our minds.

I know that Kotkaniemi and Bjorkstrand were going in opposite directions this season. At the moment, I'm hesitating between these two as my last keeper in my points-only league in signature and here's my reasoning. KK still has value among our GMs since we're based in Montreal, so homer bias is at play here. At the same time, I believe this prospect can rebound. Many high-end players were not even in the league at 19 and Kotkaniemi put up 34 points in the NHL at 18 years old + he also torched the AHL when he was sent down. On the other end, I really like Bjorkstrand and scouted him several games to confirm his break-out (he's legit), but I'm pretty sure he's flying under the radar in my league. I own the 6th and 7th picks overall in our redraft (rookies and non-protected players) and I have a very good chance of picking this player back. So I would be gambling a bit here on Bjorkstrand, but I could retain KK for an extra year, see how his development goes and even enhance his value in my league.

Am I overthinking this and should I keep the most proven asset (Bjorkstrand) over a 3rd pick overall prospect? Do you have a case to make for KK or should you talk some sense into me? Sorry if the answer is obvious, I think I have time to spare and a craving for hockey discussions...

REP for your great insight.
    I counter with:

While KK was torching the AHL...

Bjorkstrand was pacing nicely with 17 goals in his last 19gp.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I also go Bjorkstrand here. While based in Montreal gives some homer bias value to Kotkaniemi, couldn't you cash in on that now and get a pick upgrade or something in return? I think he;s a real prospect, and what he did his first year showed it, but Bjorkstrand is safer, further along, and likely has higher upside.

Both are in unfriendly systems.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Bjorkstrand all day.
    12 teams. Keep 9 any position.
    7 prospects. D scoring 3.75 for goal, 2.75 for assist. Forwards 3.5 for goal, 2.5 for assist. 0.5 for hits and blocks. Goalie scoring -1.5 GA, 0.3 for save, 2 points for win and extra 2 for shutout.

​Pre Draft

F: Keller, Zegras, Suzuki, Caufield, Cozens

D:​ Drysdale, Guhle, Perunovich

G:

IR:

Prospects: W. Johnston, K. Johnson, Guenther, Morrow, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Ninja

Bjorkstrand for me. I am a little biased as I own him in one of my dynasty leagues. Maybe you can trade Kotkaniemi or redraft him - I think he's going to be a good player, but based on the info I've seen to date, I'm going with Bjorkstrand.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

Thank you all for the feedback.
    I was also leaning Bjorkstrand, the games I've watched convinced be of his breakout.
    I just couldn't help thinking of gambling a bit with KK, but your responses make the choice much easier.

I like the suggestions of trying to get a pick, but I doubt he fetches something at this point.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rufio.85 View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback.
    I was also leaning Bjorkstrand, the games I've watched convinced be of his breakout.
    I just couldn't help thinking of gambling a bit with KK, but your responses make the choice much easier.

I like the suggestions of trying to get a pick, but I doubt he fetches something at this point.
    Take the guaranteed production in a limited keeper.

KK could be 2yrs or even 3 from breaking the 60pt mark.

Only exceptions would be taking someone like Kakko or Hughes in your last slot - the upside of them figuring it out in short order is immense - see Svechnikov
    Players like KK are more of a slow burn the 1st 4yrs.