Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Revisiting 2014 NHL Entry Draft

I've been thinking about doing this for some time and now that I have a little time (self-isolating for 14 days), I have taken a look at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and if teams had to do it all over again, how would the draft look.

Link to the 2014 draft: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2014e.html

Here's my take on how the draft might go if we had a crystal ball:

1-Florida - C-Leon Draisaitl Edm (No. 3 by Edmonton). Imagine the Panthers 1-2 punch up the middle by adding Draisaitl after taking Barkov the year before.
    2-Buffalo - R-David Pastrnak Bos (No. 25 by Boston). Hard to pass up a sniper of this calibre. Maybe then, they wouldn't have signed Jeff Skinner to that brutal contract last summer.
    3-Edmonton - D-Aaron Ekblad Fla (No. 1 by Florida). Oilers would have been salivating to add a No. 1 defenseman.
    4-Calgary - C-Brayden Point TB (No. 79 by Tampa Bay). Would be a massive improvement over Sam Bennett.
    5-NY Islanders - C-Dylan Larkin Det (No. 15 by Detroit). Isles would have had a hard time passing up this speedster. With Tavares still in the fold, maybe they don't draft Barzal in 2015?
    6-Vancouver - R-William Nylander Tor (No. 8 by Toronto). The Canucks success in drafting Swedes is clear and they would not pass up this opportunity.
    7-Carolina - L-Nikolaj Ehlers Wpg (No. 9 by Winnipeg). Would fit right in with the Canes European forwards.
    8-Toronto - C-Sam Reinhart Buf (No. 2 by Buffalo). Maple Leafs could not pass up taking a top rated C.
    9-Winnipeg - L-Jakub Vrana Wsh (No. 13 by Washington). Easy selection for the Jets.
    10-Anaheim - D-Tony DeAngelo NYR (No. 19 by Tampa Bay). Anaheim takes another NHL defenseman.
    11-Nashville - G-Igor Shesterkin NYR (No. 118 by NY Rangers). Would be over the moon having a stud replacement in waiting for Rinne (instead of Saros).
    12-Anaheim - L-Kevin Fiala Min (No. 11 by Nashville). Talented winger having a career year.
    13-Washington - R-Victor Olofsson Buf (No. 181 by Buffalo). Scoring at a 30 goal pace in his first full NHL campaign.
    14-Dallas - R-Viktor Arvidsson Nsh (No. 112 by Nashville). Two 60 point seasons and averaged 31 goals over the three years prior to this season.
    15-Detroit - R-Alex Tuch VGK (No. 18 by Minnesota). 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, 20 goals, 52 points last year.
    16-Columbus - C-Nick Schmaltz Arz (No. 20 by Chicago). 21 goals, 52 points two years ago and leading scorer on the Coyotes.
    17-Philadelphia - G-Thatcher Demko Van (No. 36 by Vancouver). Philly couldn't pass on a potential number one goalie. Would be an embarrassment of riches at the position when they take Carter Hart with the 48th pick (2nd round) in 2016.
    18-Minnesota - C-Christian Dvorak Arz (No. 58 by Arizona). Need to replenish the talent pool, especially at C.
    19-Tampa Bay - R-Kevin Labanc SJ (No. 171 by San Jose). Will somewhat offset the offense lost by not having Point available to draft.
    20-Chicago - L-Nick Ritchie Bos (No. 10 by Anaheim). Rough and tumble player would be a good fit in the Hawks top nine.
    21-St. Louis - D-Travis Sanheim Phi (No. 17 by Philadelphia). 30-35 point defenseman who is playing a larger and larger role on both special teams.
    22-Pittsburgh - D-Marcus Pettersson Pit (No. 38 by Anaheim). Taking Pettersson here saves the Pens from trading for him.
    23-Colorado - D-Brandon Montour Buf (No. 55 by Anaheim). The Avs are always on the lookout for mobile defensemen.
    24-Vancouver - G-Elvis Merzlikins CBJ (No. 76 by Columbus). Elvis would serve as Demko's replacement as Markstrom's backup and heir apparent.
    25-Boston - R-Ondrej Kase Bos (No. 205 by Anaheim). Bruins eventually traded for the brittle, but talented Czech.
    26-Montreal - D-Devon Toews NYI (No. 108 by NY Islanders). Easy selection to add an offensive-minded defenseman and future PPQB.
    27-San Jose - C-Danton Heinen Ana (No. 116 by Boston). Nice complimentary player for the Sharks top nine.
    28-NY Islanders - C-Robby Fabbri Det (No. 21 by St. Louis). Isles take a chance on oft-injured forward.
    29-Los Angeles - C-Adrian Kempe LA (No. 29 by Los Angeles). Kings happy to redraft Kempe.
    30-New Jersey - C-Jared McCann Pit (No. 24 by Vancouver). Versatile forward is on his third NHL team in his five seasons.

Agree/disagree with my list? What would you do differently? Feel free to comment below or post your list/order.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Revisiting 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Interesting draft. I could still see Kasperi Kapanen (22) still going in there somewhere. Same for Victor Olofsson (181).
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

I might flip 8 & 9. I can see Toronto preferring Vrana to Reinhart

I'd also move Nick Ritchie way down the list. possibly out of the first round.

Seeing Sanheim's progression - I might move him up to 19 ahead of Labanc. He's emerging as a legit top 4 all situations Dman to me that's more valuable than Labanc

I don't disagree with where you've placed Merzlikins.. but I can also see an argument to move him up in front of Demko as the #1G off the board.

Lastly, I think I would flip Fabbri & Montour. Seem to be going opposite directions in their careers at the moment.

Great draft/list overall. A fun exercise.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Interesting thread indeed. My first reaction is that if we are going to base this draft based on accomplishments and readiness of these players right now, should we also not consider the needs of the teams right now? (If you are just trying to rank the top 30, then I'm not sure putting the team in is relevant). Just as an example, and as you pointed out, I just don't see Philadelphia taking Demko…

Certainly a fun thread to look over, rep!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks for all your comments guys, truly appreciate your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Interesting draft. I could still see Kasperi Kapanen (22) still going in there somewhere. Same for Victor Olofsson (181).
    I thought hard about Kapanen and he was close to being included. I have Olofsson at 13 to Washington!

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I might flip 8 & 9. I can see Toronto preferring Vrana to Reinhart

I'd also move Nick Ritchie way down the list. possibly out of the first round.

Seeing Sanheim's progression - I might move him up to 19 ahead of Labanc. He's emerging as a legit top 4 all situations Dman to me that's more valuable than Labanc

I don't disagree with where you've placed Merzlikins.. but I can also see an argument to move him up in front of Demko as the #1G off the board.

Lastly, I think I would flip Fabbri & Montour. Seem to be going opposite directions in their careers at the moment.

Great draft/list overall. A fun exercise.
    I think you are probably right about flipping Vrana and Reinhart.

With Nick Ritchie, I think some teams will overvalue the physicality part.

No issue with Sanheim moving up, but I am a little wary of his offense being unproven at this level. Labanc has a bit of a track record. I do agree that Sanheim is trending in the right direction and I definitely value my Defensemen.

I still think Demko has more potential over Merzlikins, but Elvis is getting the opportunity right now and making good on it.

Fabbri's ability to stay healthy scares me and I think I valued the defenseman over the forward in this case.

Great points lucafen!

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Interesting thread indeed. My first reaction is that if we are going to base this draft based on accomplishments and readiness of these players right now, should we also not consider the needs of the teams right now? (If you are just trying to rank the top 30, then I'm not sure putting the team in is relevant). Just as an example, and as you pointed out, I just don't see Philadelphia taking Demko…

Certainly a fun thread to look over, rep!
    I struggled with how to address this very thing. I settled on a bit of both, taking the easy way out! Including the team was more fun than just ranking the top 30.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Thanks for all your comments guys, truly appreciate your input!

I thought hard about Kapanen and he was close to being included. I have Olofsson at 13 to Washington!
    Oops my bad.

I would have considered Oskar Lindblom as well if he hadn't got "injured".

It's fun going back and looking at the swings and misses from previous draft years. Also, fun to see the later round hits. Credit goes to scouts but to me, a lot of the credit (or discredit, depending on how you want to look at it) goes to the players. Some clearly improved their game play post-draft to get to the position they did and some clearly took some things for granted coming out of the draft.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

call me a party pooper but i generally dont like to look back and see who shouldve been drafted where. im a firm believer that the development system/coaching in place is just as important as a player's innate skill. Once in a while youll get a player like mcjesus or crosby where it doesnt matter where they play, but for most others it certainly does. as such, theres no guarantee a player will turn out like they did in a different environment.

all that being said, my gripe is with specifically x player being drafted by y team. im definitely ok with a best player or best value ranking '5 years later'. these guys are only 18 and teams are working off imperfect information. theres a good reason most NBA/NFL players dont declare for the draft until their 20s.

The top 7-9 looks good to me in the OP. Shesterkin and DeAngelo didn't pay off until this season, others like Arvidsson already have had multiple productive seasons under their belt. Something to consider.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    call me a party pooper but i generally dont like to look back and see who shouldve been drafted where. im a firm believer that the development system/coaching in place is just as important as a player's innate skill. Once in a while youll get a player like mcjesus or crosby where it doesnt matter where they play, but for most others it certainly does. as such, theres no guarantee a player will turn out like they did in a different environment.

all that being said, my gripe is with specifically x player being drafted by y team. im definitely ok with a best player or best value ranking '5 years later'. these guys are only 18 and teams are working off imperfect information. theres a good reason most NBA/NFL players dont declare for the draft until their 20s.

The top 7-9 looks good to me in the OP. Shesterkin and DeAngelo didn't pay off until this season, others like Arvidsson already have had multiple productive seasons under their belt. Something to consider.
    special times call for special threads

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post

Party pooper! (Hey, you asked!) Completely agree with your points, but it's just fun to look back and see how players have turned out. It really reinforces the fact that the draft is a big crap shoot and I agree that player development of each team plays a big role along with the individual players drive and ability to learn/grow/develop.

special times call for special threads
    Bingo!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Wizard

Sanheim, Pettersson and Kempe are three players I'd move up from where you have them. I would start considering Sanheim at No. 8.

Also, Ilya Sorokin should definitely be somewhere in there.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Sanheim, Pettersson and Kempe are three players I'd move up from where you have them. I would start considering Sanheim at No. 8.

Oh good catch...

Now the tricky part... how far up do you move such a highly touted prospect that hasn't played an NHL game?

Personally, I think a Demko or just above slotting would be reasonable.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Oh good catch...

Now the tricky part... how far up do you move such a highly touted prospect that hasn't played an NHL game?

I could understand putting Sorokin even below Elvis because he hasn't played in the NHL yet. But Sorokin definitely has Shestyorkin-like potential.

In general, I would move both Demko and Elvis up a few spots because I think both can be No. 1 goalies, and those guys are valuable.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post

Thanks for weighing in J-P! Wow, around No. 8 for Sanheim!? Clearly, you think he's a legit top 4 defender - I haven't watched enough of him (or Pettersson and Kempe) and was basing their placement more on stats and my limited knowledge of these players.

I thought hard about Sorokin, but as lucafen4 mentions below, how much do we weigh a prospect versus goalies we've actually seen play NHL games? Tough decision.

Oh good catch...

I can't wait to see Sorokin come over to see if he measures up to the hype or if it will take a little time to adjust to the NHL.

Dobber Sports Deity

I wouldn't have Sorokin there in the first round YET.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Thanks for doing this. Are you gonna do all the years? I would be very jealous if Sanheim went to St.louis 4 picks later! But this is awesome list. Job well done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I wouldn't have Sorokin there in the first round YET.
    I agree... everyone else in the list has contributed already.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​