Thread: Encouraging trades and action in a 5 player keeper league

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Encouraging trades and action in a 5 player keeper league

With great anticipation, and the planet surviving, I’m looking for some advice going forward.

Long story short, the long time commish is stepping down, and I’ve agreed to take over. At the same time, an original and very active GM is packing it in. His biggest issue is non active owners, I have to agree, sadly. We have 4 owners who have never sniffed $, in the 11 years existence,and just as importantly, have made like 2 trades in total, of most were insignificant, IMO!

I don’t want to punish non action(love to but not conducive to betterment of the league and might ultimate goal) but really incentivize trades, salary movement and overall roster action.

We only keep 5 plus real time NHL rookies(5 max). Our 10 team league drafts 15 rounds average.

Entry is only $100, immediately, I wanna up it to $150. My struggle is finding meaningful ways of encouraging an investing role not taking away from the drafting and the spirit of the whole thing.

Any advice dobberites?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Encouraging trades and action in a 5 player keeper league

Not sure if this helps or if you have something in place, but my pool has a group chat in WhatsApp. We used to only interact through the pool site, but the app actually got some inactive GMs to start making trades as the lines of communication were more open.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Pro

We have a Facebook forum where most of the action. Try that maybe? Works great for us.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Teravainen, McCann, Montour, Jones, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, MacKinnon, Pavelski, Duchene, Farabee, Henrique
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Joseph, Schenn, Nyqvist, Roslovic, Duclair, S. Jones, Korpisalo, Quick, Rittich
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Rossi, Hutson, Mateychuk

Administrator

You definitely need a common platform for everyone to communicate and everyone has to be on board with that. Having said that, inactivity is largely caused by inactive GMs. It's been 11 years, so you know what you have. Either make changes now or move on to a new league with a more active group.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

I think part of it is the size of the pool. It's a keep 5 - in a 10tm pool.
    Meaning the bottom 4-6 players on each team aren't really above replacement to what can be found on the waiver wire.
    That discourage trading because the wire is trade partner
    Perhaps you could reduce # of claims per year/week
    Expand to 12 owners - reducing player pool exponentially.

Or take the activeowners - pack this pool in - post classified Dobber to fill your pool back up to 10 or 12 - whatever you like.

Taking over as Commish, my first step would be to chat with each GM and find out why they aren't active.

Putting on a fresh start perspective - create a survey to find what they like/don't like - change the rules of the pool to accommodate the popular answers.
    Getting them involved in the rules/set up - should help pull them in and become slightly more engaged.

If some can't be bothered and you want an active pool - you might actually have to go the - replacement route
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I think part of it is the size of the pool. It's a keep 5 - in a 10tm pool.
    Meaning the bottom 4-6 players on each team aren't really above replacement to what can be found on the waiver wire.
    That discourage trading because the wire is trade partner
    Perhaps you could reduce # of claims per year/week
    Expand to 12 owners - reducing player pool exponentially.

Or take the activeowners - pack this pool in - post classified Dobber to fill your pool back up to 10 or 12 - whatever you like.

Taking over as Commish, my first step would be to chat with each GM and find out why they aren't active.

Putting on a fresh start perspective - create a survey to find what they like/don't like - change the rules of the pool to accommodate the popular answers.
    Getting them involved in the rules/set up - should help pull them in and become slightly more engaged.

If some can't be bothered and you want an active pool - you might actually have to go the - replacement route
    This is great advice. As a guy who been classified ( in a non-hockey league) as a guy "who isn't active enough" in leagues in the past, you want to tread carefully with guy who don't make trades, but are otherwise active. If they draft, set lineups, engage in discussions, and are otherwise good, except for trade volume, you want to be careful not to alienate them.

That "wasn't active enough in my case" was explained to me as the following:
    I don't make enough trades.
    I give up big names for relative scrubs, and get lucky when the deal pans out.

So I figured it was best that I leave the league, which I joined as a replacement owner brought in by a friend and liked, but the commish didn't want me around, as I was too unlike most of the rest of the guys he knew and played with. It was a league that, like what you have has some non-contenders, but he wanted to deal with an inactive guy who was never out of the top 4. My buddy rattled off 2 wins in 3 years, and league folded due to commish not finidng it fun - aka not winning enough.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.