Thread: I need a goalie!! (Cap League)

The Great One

Default I need a goalie!! (Cap League)

So I joined a league with a neat draft premise. We each picked an actual NHL team and we took a forward, a dman, a goalie and a prospect (82 games for a skater, 41 for a goalie). I was shocked when Edmonton was there but the reason was clear- Koskinen is definitely not a safe pick. In round one I was happy to add Gudreau, and got a little carried away adding Jack Hughes- but that ELC was too much to pass on in a dynasty. I also realized byt then exactly HOW long the turnaround is in a 20 team draft- lol! It felt like two separate goalie runs happened between those and my next pick. When it got back to me Hall was still on the board and I believe he was a could not pass at the end of the 4th. Which leaves me needing a goalie badlye.

Its a cap league (only 20 million over NHL cap), we start 2 and there are 5 goalie cats (saves and save percentage). I believe its weekly starts Ill double check.

In that time my "under the radar" guys went- Kuemper, Elvis and my super sleepers Lehner and Soroykin.

That leaves:

Price- I think hes undraftable in a salary cap.
    Holtby- Still fairly hefty AND not sure where he signs. Its a huge gamble but I might take it- hes only 30 and I when hes on his game hes very good. Has his game declined?
    Rittich- I think this is my pick here. Whoever gets the load in Calgary should be money in the bank and that looks like Rittich I think.

Murray- I think a safe pass.

Dubnyk- Im a fan but Stalock really pissed in his corn flakes this year.

Jones- I think Im passing but what about...

Dell- big question mark here. Is he Jusse Sarosing himself into the starting gig in SJ? Can I get him next round?

Raanta- Im a bigtime Raanta fan but I don't think hes a lock for even 30 next year. probably best upside but that contract sitch is in limbo for one more year

Islanders guys- Im tending to stay away I believe in the kid.

Francouz- Is he really outplaying Grubauer?? That Colorado goalie would be HUGE if he has a chance there

Guys to keep an eye on. Not this pick but would LOVE some feedback as my goalie knowledge is a little rusty.

Nedjolvic- Is he ready by next year? 40 games on a strong Carolina team WITH a bright future is worth it here I think.

Spencer Knight- Hes there but I feel like its too soon

Ukko Pekka- I know hes not the solution next year but Im a huge huge fan of the sabrays and of this kid. That team has so many generational players. Should I wait a few rounds??

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: I need a goalie!! (Cap League)

Rittich is your pick and Murray is a solid consolation option. After that it seems like the tier is gone so I would wait a bit longer.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I like Rittich and Murray for the present, solid picks due to GP and wins but they're replaceable by the next up-and-comer. Like you, I like Ukka Pekka but he's years away and my favourite goalie to stash would be Askarov once he's drafted. I think Knight would need a trade from Florida in order to start playing, and Primeau has potential in Montreal so I don't think you'll miss you on opportunities to pick up a good goalie.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Starting with your guys to keep an eye on, the only one worth drafting before the end is Nedeljkovic. The other two are far away, and are blocked to varying degrees - I'd prefer the Sabres guy as he's closer, and Bobrovsky has a wee bit better track record than Ullmark.

The rest in order, more or less.

I agree you want Rittich here. He's one of the cheaper, younger, and safer options you have listed.

Price isn't undraftable in a cap league, but he should be not owned by you in your league with such a tight cap given who else you have. Unfortunately, Hall would've been a guy I'd have let someone else have to help you afford a goalie either in salary or pick cost.

Dubnyk isn't a starter any longer, I don't think.

Holtby has a bunch of risk in size of contract and where he plays, as does Murray. I prefer Murray, but neither is somebody I'd feel great about here.

San Jose's overrated & overpaid goalies should also be an avoid, and yes, that's both of them. Jones has had some years where he's gotten Vezina votes while slightly above average, and got paid handsomely for them.

Dell is an avoid for me. You're thinking he's Saros, I think he's Carter Hutton from 2 years ago with a worse track record. Dell is almost 31, is below average this year, and has one season solidly above average - and it's his first one with just 20 starts. I'd take Price before him, and it's not close.

Isles golaies are actually a reasonable choice, especially Varlamov, who should be the guy next year, is on a good sound team, and he is playing pretty well. Griess is older, and probably a tandem guy somewhere. I'd be willing to grab Varlamov if you don't get Rittich, although I can see preferring Murray.

Francouz is a guy I'd want - just not this round.

You might be able to cobble together a decent enough group of lesser goalies, but you don't want to have to use too many spots, and it depends on league rules.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

NOT Holtby.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Starting with your guys to keep an eye on, the only one worth drafting before the end is Nedeljkovic. The other two are far away, and are blocked to varying degrees - I'd prefer the Sabres guy as he's closer, and Bobrovsky has a wee bit better track record than Ullmark.

The rest in order, more or less.

I agree you want Rittich here. He's one of the cheaper, younger, and safer options you have listed.

Price isn't undraftable in a cap league, but he should be not owned by you in your league with such a tight cap given who else you have. Unfortunately, Hall would've been a guy I'd have let someone else have to help you afford a goalie either in salary or pick cost.

Dubnyk isn't a starter any longer, I don't think.

Holtby has a bunch of risk in size of contract and where he plays, as does Murray. I prefer Murray, but neither is somebody I'd feel great about here.

San Jose's overrated & overpaid goalies should also be an avoid, and yes, that's both of them. Jones has had some years where he's gotten Vezina votes while slightly above average, and got paid handsomely for them.

Dell is an avoid for me. You're thinking he's Saros, I think he's Carter Hutton from 2 years ago with a worse track record. Dell is almost 31, is below average this year, and has one season solidly above average - and it's his first one with just 20 starts. I'd take Price before him, and it's not close.

Isles golaies are actually a reasonable choice, especially Varlamov, who should be the guy next year, is on a good sound team, and he is playing pretty well. Griess is older, and probably a tandem guy somewhere. I'd be willing to grab Varlamov if you don't get Rittich, although I can see preferring Murray.

Francouz is a guy I'd want - just not this round.

You might be able to cobble together a decent enough group of lesser goalies, but you don't want to have to use too many spots, and it depends on league rules.
    Love this- thank you so much!! I got Rittich ftr. Is Talbot a consideration to ease the headache later on? I feel good about Rittich after this thread too- thanks guys!!

Francouz gone now. I hadnt looked under the hood on Dell I appreciate that. Im thinking Ill go Rittich, Koskinen and try for Varlamov as the third active guy and get a solid rookie like Nedj or Petersen later...

I also didnt have him on the list cause his team sucks but Nilsson is on there and Im halfway amped up about him...

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Rittich is your pick and Murray is a solid consolation option. After that it seems like the tier is gone so I would wait a bit longer.
    Agree with these two picks.

Also agree with Gamer on Francouz as a later pick. Hard to tell.

Holtby's a real wildcard. He hasn't really played himself into a large payday.

As for a prospect to keep an eye on - Connor Ingram is someone you need to move way up your list. My $$ is on him stealing the starter gig from Saros - post Rinne era
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Nilsson is a guy who was a major reason my team was in first place until he got hurt, he was solid, and after he got hurt my rookies shone. I'd be fine with him as a late flier.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

So!!

I feel halfway ok- about my goalie situation now- haha! Rittich/Koskinen/Varlamov should be good for a short or long term window. Im not in a rush to add more as I really would like to add one more scoring D option iof I coul before I switch priority to hit and block stats stuffers- lol! Forwards especially young ones going fast too so wouldn't mind getting a few "upside" guys.

That being said Im looking at at least one more in the next 3-5 rounds and a 5th guy to be safe at the end. Im kind of torn:

Cam Talbot- I feel like hes a good insurance measue, would save a headache, and ensures I get the full monopoly on Calgary which is a good monopoly to own I think- lol! That being said- he might be safe to slip a few rounds as hes probably not super intriguing after I drafted rittich.

Anders Nilsson- Im a fan! He sooo beeeg! Lol- and Senators will slowlt get better starting from the night out imho- as there blueline looks sharp!

Nedj- Too soon for him?

Cal Petersen was taken!!!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    So!!

I feel halfway ok- about my goalie situation now- haha! Rittich/Koskinen/Varlamov should be good for a short or long term window. Im not in a rush to add more as I really would like to add one more scoring D option iof I coul before I switch priority to hit and block stats stuffers- lol! Forwards especially young ones going fast too so wouldn't mind getting a few "upside" guys.

That being said Im looking at at least one more in the next 3-5 rounds and a 5th guy to be safe at the end. Im kind of torn:

Cam Talbot- I feel like hes a good insurance measue, would save a headache, and ensures I get the full monopoly on Calgary which is a good monopoly to own I think- lol! That being said- he might be safe to slip a few rounds as hes probably not super intriguing after I drafted rittich.

Anders Nilsson- Im a fan! He sooo beeeg! Lol- and Senators will slowlt get better starting from the night out imho- as there blueline looks sharp!

Nedj- Too soon for him?

Cal Petersen was taken!!!
    I think its worth mentioning for Talbot that he's a UFA and I doubt the flames bring him back. He's done ok but at 2.75M and likely looking at a slight raise this offseason he's too expensive of a backup for them when they have half their D on expiring contracts.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Marcus HOGBERG - his numbers in Ott are really good considering the team in front of him. 8 OT/SO losses. Almost 30% of his starts.
    He's a guy I have been targeting everywhere.

If you have a prospect system and can nab Gustavsson as well you'll lock up the future cuffs of this team.

I expect no worse than a timeshare for Hogberg next year with Nilsson. He proved a lot the last couple months of the season.

I'll also re-iterate Ingram as a 2-3 year window sleeper.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

I like the Ingram suggestion- I thought his value plummeted when he was axed- but that recxcomenbdation looks pretty decent after looking deeper into it- but Id be looking toward the end of the draft.