Thread: Habs Flames 1989 Game 6

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Habs Flames 1989 Game 6

Sportsnet is airing this classic right now.
    Pretty amazing stuff.

The Lanny mustache and the Pat Burns mustache - no wonder Matthews is trying to bring back staches. Awesome.
    The Montreal crowd - Just incredible the amount of emotion that crowd has for hockey and they still have it today. Best building atmosphere in the NHL.
    Bob Cole, Play by play: Best. Ever.
    Harry Neale, Color: One of the best ever.
    Doug Gilmour: What an absolute stud, pound for pound one of the greatest playoff performers in history
    Tough: Both teams were scrappy and mean, it's hard not to miss nasty hockey, but understanding how safety concerns have evolved the game is important

Great game. Both teams were skating like the wind. So fun to watch.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Habs Flames 1989 Game 6

I must have missed that one. It seems every night I see the classic games on there, it's always a damn Leafs game.

It's fun watching the old games. You really get a good feel for how the game has changed over the years, looking back at the games played in just the past 20-30 years. So much more hooking and holding back in those days. People can say the goalie gear was smaller and thats why scoring was up (the goalie gear was definitely smaller) but damn, the crap that the Gretzky's and Lemieux's had to deal with in regards to the extra stuff considered penalties today is unreal and really makes you impressed with the scoring back then.

Then again, you can see the difference in the style of goaltending as well. Not much for butterfly goalies back in those days. Pretty much stand up style goaltending.

I'd love to see some of the classic Oiler/Flames games or even the old school Habs/Nordiques games. Those were dandies!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Habs Flames 1989 Game 6

Ya I caught some of the Leafs/Kings last night. Awesome stuff.